Zelda
  • Amazon cancelled my limited edition Art and Artifcats book. Issues with supplier they say. :(

Standard edition it is then. They did that with The Sky (Yohitaka Amano) and that sold out everywhere so I ended up with the smaller reissue. Oh well.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Same happened to me with my SpeedyHen order.

Hope the standard edition arrives okay.

Perhaps a good thing, so much pricey Zelda stuff coming out.

Standard edition looks nicer too. But yeah, should be a lovely book, and you know you could always sell it on without a loss if you wanted to.

Right, so there's the 30% off Zelda promotion - but only for one game.
    Should I be getting A link to the past for 3DS if I own the Wii U version already (and haven't played it).

'tis a fiver without the discount:
    http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Super-Nintendo/The-Legend-of-Zelda-A-Link-to-the-Past-841179.html

How's the res/emulation work?

I'm thinking Snes games on 3DS should be ideal.

Although could be better on switch, which it'll no doubt be available for at some time (quite possibly before I even get around to playing it). Although maybe they'll do a discount for those that own the Wii U version. Anyway. Owning three copies of the game gets a bit ridiculous.

Perhaps Zelda DX or one of the others instead?
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • You can use it for all games
  • Yeah I picked up Twilight Princess HD, LoZ, and AoL.

Going to be fun watching the youngfella struggle through the NES games.
  • You can use it for all games

Aye, but one use.
  • No, the discount can be applied on every Zelda title purchase the for duration. I bought three games at the 70% price each.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Aye, it had previously been a one use Thing but they changed it
  • Never got my password reminder for My Nintendo so I'm still unable to use discount. Don't understand why I have to use that rubbish.
  • You get discounts for what are essentially achievements on My Nintendo.

It's only for the mobiles games atm but it'll be interesting to see of Switch games start giving us My Nintendo points.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Ahh cheers. Yeah, Ninty want your data. Hadn't looked at it until the other day. Will miss physical rewards.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I really didn't get far with Twilight Princess when I played it on GC.
  • Rather bizarrely, it was the first Zelda I actually completed. Played some Ocarina with a friend, but didn't really feel a need to get it myself for our N64. Was also a megadrive kid, so no snes. Me and my brother bought Oracle of ages and seasons together for a holiday, but both got stuck and couldn't figure it out (plus I think we had metal gear on gameboy and that game was SIIIICK so not much else was given a look in). Played a small amount of wind waker but my sister owned the gamecube and she played sims and double dash a lot. 

As soon as TP came out on Gamecube I felt compelled to finally play one properly and my sister had since put the gamecube away in the cupboard by now.

I loved it, really really loved it. The ending was phenomenal. The boss fights were incredible. It might just be because it was my first real one, but it's a highly underrated entry in the series I find.

Saying that, I then played Wind Waker and realised it was by far the best.
  • You are correct WW is the best. Anyone who disagrees doesn't like colours and is therefore a massive racist.

TP is also very underrated. Part Of The problem is the motion controls are a bit shit and that is how most played it.
  • TP was good but a bit by the numbers, as they say. But it was nice after the disappointment of WW.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Always knew it.
  • WW's combat was good, not so much the rest.

Remember the deku tree area, that was nice.

Getting fired out of a cannon at the fort - not sure about that, but memorable. Very much a cartoon.

And
    Spoiler:
    The presentation was nice for combat - musical, flashes.
    And the deku tree area etc, but for me prevented immersion.

But the thing often seemingly ignored by those that say that people that didn't like WW had a superficial objection to the presentation - is it's not just skin deep.
    The gameplay fits the graphics. It's a much lighter, more slapstick game.

Give me OoT magic over that any day.
  • Just finished the Forest Temple in TPHD.

Pretty easy so far, but I don't expect anything else from 3D Zelda games any more.
  • Yeah I don't think anyone plays Zelda games for challenge much. I don't remember ever being challenged but I haven't played the first two.
  • I was challenged by OoT - although perhaps that was mostly the water temple - and it was my first Zelda.
    Seems they both got easier, and I got more familiar with how they worked as time went on.
    I mean, if any of us were to play AlttP today, or OoT or WW, those are progressively easier games no?
    Bit of a shame really for those playing them all.
    Increased familiarity, age, skill, would be bad enough.

Think it'd be good if there were a "Have you saved Hyrule before?" question at the start. "Yes, countless times" - Okay then...

Anyhoo

• The eleven year old played The Legend of Zelda for the first time the other day. He quit after less than five minutes because "I didn't know what to do because it didn't tell me."

I despair.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Dunno where to put this, here is probably as good a place as any. Best get a few tissues at the ready before you read it, it's a sad one.
  • The eleven year old played The Legend of Zelda for the first time the other day. He quit after less than five minutes because "I didn't know what to do because it didn't tell me."

I despair.

This has always been something of interest to me.

My nephew is utter dog shit at platformers, he got stuck on World 2 of NSMBU.

I was lost for words when he told me.

Plays FPS and GTA with no problems but can't get past a few well placed Goombas.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • One hit is pretty unforgiving I guess when you can buy hot dogs everywhere.
  • Also: zelda 1 is pretty rubbish tbh. There's a class of people that imagined they beat games by themselves when they were probably mooching strategies off people who bought Nintendo power or paid for the expensive helpline.
  • I definitely beat it by myself, but it took months of trial and error, using the Blue Candle one bush at a time to find secrets, bombing every wall, pushing every block or boulder.

Properly playing it as an adventure game.
  • I remember cheating to finish Monkey Island on the Amiga.  I couldn't get the recipe right on act II.  I can't remember how I got the solution though, I didn't buy any multiformat mags at the time. 

I put my shift in during the stuck-for-ages era, this counter-intuitive brick-wall bastard, for example:

tumblr_ndamdisMTW1rcy80ko3_400.gif

I've played subsequent games consistently though, as the medium moved on, which coupled with the gradual dulling of the ZOMG VIDYAGAEMS feeling have robbed me of any patience I had to learn as a youngster (because they're mercifully built with minimal frustration in mind).  If I'm stuck on a puzzle for long I'll often cheat, and if routes weren't clearly signposted in an adventure game I'd probably play something else.  Games can still be tough, but even the toughest are more like Snakes & Ladders than back to square one.  Super Meat Boy is far trickier than Super Ghouls n Ghosts, but you can run out of continues in the latter so it's a much harder game, if played as it was intended.  Some of the titles we grew up with were evil.    

Bit of a tangent, sorry.
  • Fucking hell that stupid bit broke my brain too.
  • Me too and I only got around to playing it a few years ago. I think it even resulted in a wtf phone call to moot.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The worst thing is the solution made sense, just not in a Sonic game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!