Society's Ills - A study in the perceived inequalities between the "haves" and the "have nots"
  • That first sentence tho. Lol.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • That sounds just like trickle down theory to me but in another guise. And it's bullshit.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Trickle down bullshit? Nasty.
  • The article reminds me of Bioshock (first one).
    The man seriously needs to build his own underwater utopia.
  • Read that as underwear utopia.
  • Pervert.
  • Most wealthy people are pretty easily identified by their lack of talent.

‘Talent’ being a concept notwithstanding criticism anyway.
  • Check out @mattmfm’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/1062802853687889920?s=09

Short vid. So worth it.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Skim read that. It annoys me that this kind of argument can still be made, and the fact that it can shows a real inability for the people involved to reflect on ideology and how it works.

Someone saying 'I'm rejecting ideology and doing X instead' is one of the surest signs of an ideology you can get, just one that will never recognise itself as such. He goes on to mention pluralism (an actual -ism) as an alternative and then 'moderation', as if that's not a very clearly liberal concept the way he defines it.

So this is a commitment to self-reflection and pragmatism (these are principles BTW), but one that by defining itself as definitely not an ideology has already made sure it will never really reflect on its own core beliefs. It can't, simply because it assumes they aren't ideological. It also can't understand that the definition of what counts as an ideology and what doesn't is ideological.
  • Heh. Be nice. For a former libertarian he's doing ok. ;)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Ideology/religion isn't the real problem anyways. If anything ideology and religion define us as human beings. The true culprit is and always will be ....human nature. Or rather humanity's seeming inability to balance vice vs virtue.
  • Blaming human nature for our problems is also ideological.
  • So it is.
  • I love the ideologies that are good, personally.
  • Excess wealth to the detriment of others is essentially greed combined with a lack of empathy.
    Seems like a more animalistic trait than human to me.
    An animal may share in it's pack or blood line, but that's it. (There are probably a few outside cases like certain pigs or orangutans)
    In fact don't half these cunts talk about it being survival of the fittest?

Human nature, as in pre-neanderthal is indifferent to animal nature because you have to go back to the point when we weren't separated from the animals to justify those traits.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    We should just kill anyone that seeks power.
  • Was thinking more along the lines of everyone having an inner yin and yang and having to accept and balance it. You know, that philosophy Lucas cribbed for the Force. If you can't you'll just be an insufferable cunt to others around you.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Excess wealth to the detriment of others is essentially greed combined with a lack of empathy.
    Seems like a more animalistic trait than human to me.
    An animal may share in it's pack or blood line, but that's it. (There are probably a few outside cases like certain pigs or orangutans)
    In fact don't half these cunts talk about it being survival of the fittest?

Human nature, as in pre-neanderthal is indifferent to animal nature because you have to go back to the point when we weren't separated from the animals to justify those traits.

Hey livdiv, welcome back!

Humans are just animals anyway. We just evolved to have a huge (prefrontal) cortex.
    To think we are better than other life is misguided imo. More complex but not better...
    We like to project ourselves outside of the ecosystem when in fact we're still very much a part of it.
  • Everything we do, good or bad, altruistic or selfish, is part of human nature. And nature is an evolving thing, not some fixed condition that predates civilisation and culture.

Also, different forms of social organisation and living conditions bring out certain aspects more than others. There's less need to be competitive when everyone has access to what they need, for example.

It's not a coincidence that Hobbes's concept of the 'state of nature' - a sort of dog eat dog existence - is so heavily emphasised in current neoliberal politics, economics and culture, which makes a big deal out of success through self-interest and competition. It's an ideology that wants us to believe any attempt to organise is doomed to failure, because it's beyond our make-up as humans.

In effect, it tells us that there is no alternative except to rely on the neutral mechanism of the market to regulate things, and when that doesn't work it tells us that's the fault of particular corrupt people, not the system itself. This is why the cynical or pessimistic concept of human nature is ideological.
  • Though at times I may sound like a grumpy pessimist I mostly agree with jonb. We may have evolved from animals but that doesn't mean we don't have ethics. The free market is not a neutral mechanism, it's policy driven and favors the group who decides on....policy. Which means it favours the ruling class and the wealthy.
  • It doesn't need to mean that though.

Especially if coupled with policies which enhance social mobility, free healthcare and free education being the key ones imo.
  • JonB wrote:
    Everything we do, good or bad, altruistic or selfish, is part of human nature. And nature is an evolving thing, not some fixed condition that predates civilisation and culture.

Also, different forms of social organisation and living conditions bring out certain aspects more than others. There's less need to be competitive when everyone has access to what they need, for example.

It's not a coincidence that Hobbes's concept of the 'state of nature' - a sort of dog eat dog existence - is so heavily emphasised in current neoliberal politics, economics and culture, which makes a big deal out of success through self-interest and competition. It's an ideology that wants us to believe any attempt to organise is doomed to failure, because it's beyond our make-up as humans.

In effect, it tells us that there is no alternative except to rely on the neutral mechanism of the market to regulate things, and when that doesn't work it tells us that's the fault of particular corrupt people, not the system itself. This is why the cynical or pessimistic concept of human nature is ideological.

I think you've got Hobbes wrong.
  • The animal metaphors are to a one only used by people to justify meanness.

Last time I checked no dolphin made a computer.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Everything we do, good or bad, altruistic or selfish, is part of human nature. And nature is an evolving thing, not some fixed condition that predates civilisation and culture.

I think you've got Hobbes wrong.

Tell him why.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Why, Delilah.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!