Documentaries Thread
  • Just finished watching the third part of Exodus: Our Journey to Europe on iPlayer.

One part of Hassan's story about the brutality he recieved in Syria really got to me. Incredibly brave guy to have gone through all that and attempted and failed to get into the UK so many times.
  • That Shining documentary is terrifying. Brilliant stuff.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Aye, it's an all time fave. Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse is similarly brilliant. I think I prefer both to the films that spawned them.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched this recently - has been labelled the Vegan Maker.

It won't turn me, however I am haunted by two scenes. The 1st (1:07:20) shows a circus elephant going berzerk and being gunned down, the second (1:15:50) in which a conscious pig is tied down and subjected to a blow torch for God knows what so-called scientific reason. It has left its mark on me.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Aight Slags, Adam Curtis' new film is available on iPlayer from 9PM on the 16th. Prepare to strap in and feel the outrage of accumulated injustice beamed straight into your faces all over again!

(Sorry for the trews link, those who fond Brand to be unpalatable)

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Fucking tragic that it's relegated to iPlayer
  • MUST BURY TRUTH G.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    trippy wrote:
    Aye, it's an all time fave. Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse is similarly brilliant. I think I prefer both to the films that spawned them.

Give dangerous days a watch if you enjoyed those. It's great.
  • trippy wrote:
    Aye, it's an all time fave. Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse is similarly brilliant. I think I prefer both to the films that spawned them.

Give dangerous days a watch if you enjoyed those. It's great.

Why thank you, I shall, sounds great.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Also - My Best Fiend (sic) by Werner Herzog - about his relationship with Klaus Kinski. The natives offered to kill Kinski for Herzog during filming of Fitzcaralldo. There's a "making of" for that film called Burden of Dreams that I haven't yet watched but is supposed to be excellent.

• The 13th on Netflix comes very highly recommended. The American incarceration system under the spotlight.
  • davyK wrote:
    Also - My Best Fiend (sic) by Werner Herzog - about his relationship with Klaus Kinski. The natives offered to kill Kinski for Herzog during filming of Fitzcaralldo. There's a "making of" for that film called Burden of Dreams that I haven't yet watched but is supposed to be excellent.

I've seen and loved My Best Fiend and will look out for Burden of Dreams, thanks. Also like the film about Herzog eating his shoe. He's a legend.

I highly recommend the rather weighty Herzog book "Conversations with Paul Cronin". It covers a lot of ground and is really great, especially if your internal monologue can do a passable Herzog impersonation.
  • He's pretty great as the big bad in Jack Reacher. He said he'd like to be a Bond villain, which would be awesome.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Herzog also did a series of Death Row inmate interviews that are very good.
  • New Curtis document trailer is up, hyper normalisation
  • Roujin wrote:
    Aight Slags, Adam Curtis' new film is available on iPlayer from 9PM on the 16th. Prepare to strap in and feel the outrage of accumulated injustice beamed straight into your faces all over again!

(Sorry for the trews link, those who fond Brand to be unpalatable)

Lol.

• I cry errtiem

• Good early-90's doc on the assassination of Bobby Kennedy, the discrepancies in the story, the bungling of the investigation, the harrassment of the Coroner who maintained Kennedy was killed from shots fired from behind (rather than convicted shooter Sirhan Sirhan, who was in front of Kennedy), harrassment and brow-beating of witnesses and a brief detour into true 'out-there' country with the strange inability of convicted assassin Sirhan to recall anything about the shooting and the CIA's attempts at creating a real life Manchurian Candidate via hypnotic suggestion.
  • As a precursor to the release of the new Adam Curtis doco, yesterday I watched Bitter Lake, his last major work from a year and a half ago.

Turns out it's the first thing by Curtis I've ever seen that just isn't very good.
    That being said, it's still worth a watch, but it's overlong, poorly edited and narratively rambling.
    It feels very much like a work in progress rather than a finished piece, so I can see why it was relegated to iPlayer rather than broadcast.

Don't let that put you off though. It is worth watching, and there is some incredible footage from inside Afghanistan, but by his usual standards it's just not up there.

Curate's egg

g.man

*edit*
    Here is a short piece written by Curtis describing how Bitter Lake was something of an experiment for him. In which case I'd still have to say it was an experiment that didn't quite have the desired result.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    beano wrote:
    I do worry that Curtis is gonna release a Koyaanisqatsi that catches me out and I left sat there at the end going, "Eh?"
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Bitter Lake does indeed roll very close to that sort of territory.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    That's was my reaction after I watched it- what I didn't say was I had to start it three times because I kept falling asleep. It was no where near as compelling as Koyaan..
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Yes, it gets better as it goes along, and the last half an hour or so is very good, but as an experiment it just feels like a cutting copy that's mid edit waiting for a big trim.
  • I loved Bitter Lake, and It Felt Like A Kiss which was similar in that it was more about the atmosphere and the emotion than making a focused, concise, coherent point. Bitter Lake did have a point to make obviously, but it took plenty of long, wordless diversions from that point.

I think Bitter Lake was always intended to be an iPlayer exclusive, as it gave Curtis a chance to stretch out and experiment & the Beeb something to market the iPlayer with. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it was quite clearly a different type of film from Curtis and if he'd wanted to edit it into his usual 3-part hour long series he could've done. It does go on a bit admittedly.

All Watched Over By Machines Of Loving Grace was a far more obvious Curtis misstep, that just seemed a bit poor and messy to me. Maybe a rewatch would be kinder to it, I haven't bothered to return to it since it was on telly.

Even when he's not at his best there's always a few moments of beauty, awe, perfect synergy between picture and music and just plain editing magic. I wish the BBC would go to town on a full Curtis boxset, although I know it'll never happen because of the music rights issue.
  • Yeah, his result may be becoming increasingly erratic, but they are still always essential viewing.
  • I felt like a lot of the segments in between the delivery of the information in Bitter Lake were pretty effective. Here's a bit of information about "shitty socio-economic/political interference X" here's a clip of what Afghanistan was like back then which you almost involuntarily end up mentally comparing to the kind of images you see coming from the country today to help make the point.

I think drawing the documentary out like that, gave an appropriate amount of time for the points that were being made to sink in. I think if it was cut down to an hour where it just went from point to point to point, the impact of each statement would be lessened.

I mean that documentary about shitty social housing developments he made in the 80s called The Great British Housing Disaster, was just under an hour iirc, and was entirely appropriate in length imho because it wasn't trying to explain the last 50+ years of meddling in a country.

Imho, obvs.
  • I loved it.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I usually like Curtis but didn't get far with Bitter Lake at all. Didn't seem to be going anywhere. All the montage stuff can be very effective, but you still need to get to the point.
  • Stuck this in the TV thread but this place seems a better fit.

Next Saturday on one of the Discovery channels, American Heroes in the states is an episode in the Ancient Assassins series called "Beautiful Samurai"
    It features the life and battles of Tomae Gozen and in several of the battles scenes is a Red samurai who dies in numerous ways,
    It's old Wookster!

There's also a fight scene between a monk and a Chinese soldier.
    I'm the soldier.

It'll be available on iTunes shortly after and screened on the Yesterday channel over here in November.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!