Documentaries Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Episode. 6......Yeltsin starting to appear drunk. The Chechyna atrocities in full flow. And there is a street renaming committee......

By hey - Rolls Royce have opened a showroom in Moscow.  Fucking bonkers.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Birdorf wrote:
    Only watched the first two, but yeah, fascinating, grim and a bit depressing. Certainly not just for the in-laws.

Lol.

I asked her how it was, because I hadn't clocked it was Adam Curtis when she starred watching it. She said much the same as you.

She's Czech, so had a quite personal interest in it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace is a 3 parter by Curtis looking at the idea of the world and us as part of it, are part of a large system, and how computers fed those who really thought we could all be reduced to that. Covers the selfish gene as well.

An extremely interesting historical look at the love affair with systems and how the love affair with computing technology lived off it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a 3 part doc on Netflix about Waco.

This really delves into the detail and is mostly made up of footage with interviews of survivors on both sides. What a monumental fuck up that was. And the leader of that cult was a fruitloop cunt who took a pile of kids with him.

I remember it happening ('93) but I had no idea how much of a nightmare that was.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Not sure why I waited so long to watch The Beastie Boys Story so long. It was excellent and was surprised by the format of literally Mike D and Ad-Rock just on a stage telling their story. Some wonderful anecdotes and was quite emotional at the end.
  • Aye, it’s really great that.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Ooh, I'll be watching that.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    3 part Netflix doc on Arnold Schwarzengger.

Marvellous - really interesting and it doesn't gloss over his shortcomings too much.

I hadn't realised he was a millionaire off real estate before he made it into a successful film. Joe Weider took him in and got him into business.

That meant he was able to wait until a film he liked came along.

It's fun seeing him now at 75 driving around in big vehicles with a cigar in his mouth, clearly loving being alive. :)
  • I really want his electric bike
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Splendid series on Disney+ about ILM. 

Old news but I hadn't realised Pixar was a spin off that Lucas sold to Steve Jobs.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep, I watched all of that a couple months ago, it's a great doc, mentioned it in the TV thread, should probably have posted here ;-)

Watching the model shop not cope with the rise of CGI is exactly what's going to happen across industries now with AI, you need to embrace it, not try to pretend it's not happening.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Chilbolton Incident is a nice tight (40mins) doc about crop circles on Prime.  I had long thought the phenomenon had been explained as hoaxes, but it seems not.  This doc has no padding & filler nor idiotic modern day doc practices like repeating the same thing over and over - just interviews.

It seems there is science that suggests this isn't yet explained. There are measurable differences in the soil and in the crops between known hoaxes and as yet unexplained ones.

The Incident itself is about a crop "circle" that looks like a response to the Aricebo message sent out in the 70s.  A quick google shows some web pages that supposedly expose it as a hoax....even if that is the case, the technical challenge of doing these things is impressive and it's still worth a watch.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Rolf Harris : Hiding in plain sight

What a cunt.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Wonderful and beautifully shot mini doc.

• Oooh. That was good :)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well isn't that you in the picture?
  • Heh
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    3 parter about the Columbia Shuttle Disaster on iPlayer - looks like a rerun of Challenger re inept management protocols. They learnt nothing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Accused:The Hampstead Paedophile Hoax

was shown on Ch.4 during the week and is well worth watching. An example of how madness can quickly become an alarmingly large number of peoples' truth.

The online platforms need their wings clipped. Not sure how. But something needs done.

https://www.channel4.com/press/news/channel-4-commissions-accused-hampstead-paedophile-hoax-story-films

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!