• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A truly fucking scary man.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Posted in TV as well. Watched The Barkley Marathons on that there Netflix. Documentary about a pleasingly odd man who has created an ultra marathon of sorts in the backwaters of Tennessee. Entry is whatever he needs that year, so one year it was plaid shirts. Runners come from all over the world. It was inspired by the escape of James Earl Ray in 1977 and part of the route involves runners going through a stream which runs under the same prison he escaped from. They're not allowed to use GPS, so must navigate the course by map going past such sights as Testicle Spectable, Dangerous Dave's Wall, etc. Whoever gets race number 1 is also known as the Human Sacrifice and is predicted to be the first faller. You can sign up for the Fun Run (60 miles) or the full course (100 miles) and have 60 hours to complete it.

It has been completed 18 times in 31 years. It is a pretty compelling documentary and is well worth 90 minutes of your time.
  • Haven't had time to update this thread much recently, but here's some more stuff:

CBS Doc following a company in Vietnam, timely in that I'm currently enjoying Ken Burns' doc on 'Nam on BBC4 and fairly recently read through 'Kill Anything That Moves', a depressing history of American atrocities throughout the War that reminds you how routine 'collateral damage' and civilian deaths were for the Yanks. This doc is unedited so it also features some intriguing 1970 adverts, which I always like to see - especially if they come from a time I don't even remember.

It's Hunter S Thompson - what more do you need to know? The name alone is a guarantee of a certain level of entertainment. As I've said before, I really like the old school BBC attitude to documentaries, when they attempted to educate and inform their viewers and license-fee payers and not simply pander to their basest instincts in order to attain ratings. If I were in government the whole of the BBC would be like this, just a relentless attempt to expand viewers horizons. (Which they would invariably fucking hate, and possibly with good reason, after all who am I to tell them what they can and can't enjoy?)

1967 doc and one of the first attempts to treat pop music as something more than just inane pap for immature kids - which is good and bad of course, as frankly inane pap can be fun and all the relentless search for meaning, depth and authenticity in music (and music docs) can be fucking arse-achingly tedious when taken to extremes. I just watched it for the footage and the glimpse of how people thought and felt at the time, also 1967 is a pretty big year for pop music.

Again, it's high-minded and it doesn't treat you like a hopelessly stupid fuckwit who needs to be babytalked and guided by the hand through every single fucking historical event, assuming you'd only just that second discovered it. I like Orwell too, and I like high-minded, slightly off-puttingly serious 70's & 80's BBC documentaries. Occasionally, it does stretch a bit too far into pomposity. It's a five-part series, all on Youtube, if you're arsed. Five part series these days are generally just reserved for some vacuous showbiz cunt like James Corden visiting his favourite childhood chip-shop or some twats cooking a cake.

John Peel narrates a doc about Captain Beefheart, who I'm only vaguely into myself, but still. It's unfortunate that the general tone of the doc was somewhat ruined for me by the five seconds of introduction from bland, asinine 90's non-entity Jo Whiley which was still annoying me at least twenty minutes into the doc. She really got on my nerves at the time, and still does. She just takes everything she touches and somehow renders it middle-brow, safe and naff. I hate how she globbed onto to Peelie at the end of the 90's as a kind of credibility blanket in order to obscure her own awfulness as well. Plus she's got her scruffy DM's up on the mixing desk - get your feet off the fucking equipment you Coldplay-loving twat!

Interesting look into a subculture I neither really remember nor care for. Don't like the music, don't like the clothes, don't like the politics - but yet the idea of time when people would devote their lives to an aesthetic, ideal or subculture sort of appeals to me.

I posted this ages ago, but when it was only available in poor quality and split into a million different parts. I taped it off the telly sometime in the early-to-mid 90's because I'd developed a slightly weird obsession with 70's punk which, in the days before Youtube and easy access to any album that ever existed, was still quite hard to find out about or hear/see. I think I was just a stereotypical boy who liked fast, angry music and hated any slow song on any album ever.

I used to watch 'Sound of the 70's' with my Mum, several years before and it was generally fucking awful, rotten music and appalling clothes all topped off with my Mum's uncool memories: "Marc Bolan? Oooh yer Dad took me to see him in 1971!", "Elton John and Kiki Dee? We had proper music in them days!" etc. When the episode on punk came around, my Mum was immediately horrified. "Turn it off, ooooh I hated that Punk rubbish! Horrible!"

I guess it was the fact that punk came pre-delivered with a promise that my Mum would disprove of it that really sent me scurrying off to Virgin Records in search of cheap CD's of the Buzzcocks, Damned, Pistols and others.

That punk episode of 'Sounds of the 70's' is fucking mint by the way:

• Cheers Larry, I'll dig into some of those over the weekend.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Top notch post Larry.

And spot on about BBC. To think the same corporation that produced gems such as those above now gets its knickers in a twist about celebrity ballroom dancing and losing a programme about cake baking.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Watched that Barkley docu. last night, good shout, Stoph'
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Has there ever been a greater cultural document about the redemptive power of rock 'n' roll and the agonies of the teenage experience? 

Well, probably. But this is fucking great, a legendary video-diary (remember them?) taking us inside Loughborough's foremost teenage thrash metal band, Manslaughter, in their earliest years (1992), and the wider world of teenage life in those crazy early-90's day's. Just pure quality, from the impromptu street poetry and social commentary, through the joys of fishing (every true rock 'n' roll animal needs to unwind somehow), the state of the World, the mysteries of women and relationships, the quest for spiritual meaning and authenticity, an argument with your Nan about fish, the problems of a shitty drummer and the ongoing daily misery of attending community sixth form in Loughborough circa-1992.

This doc has it all.

EDIT: 'cause the old link was taken down

EDIT EDIT: and again
  • Awesome! I'm all over that LD.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I finished the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary last week - extremely good stuff, all 10 hours of it!
    Nice little moment when I recognised one of the reoccurring interviewees reading passages from a book I had read just this summer and then I clicked it was the author.

It's on the iPlayer at the moment but I dont know how long for.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire

• Watched this over the weekend (fairly baked), in an excitement about the good Dr. gracing us again later in the year. Not particularly eye opening or owt, but always good to see the history of the 1. Funk not only moves it can re-move. It's the best upper, a real healer. Tha bomb. Looking forward to seeing George again.
  • Just watched Blackfish for the first time. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2545118/

Chilling.
  • Yeah, that's a rough one.
    I'm still great and you still love it.

• A 90's documentary about stalkers. Radio 1 DJ (and co-writer of 'the UKIP Calypso') Mike Read's stalker is a belter. I'm not so heartless and insensitive as to not feel pity and sorrow for these people and they're unfortunate mental health issues, but it's possible to both feel that sorrow and still find large parts of this doc unintentionally amusing.

I hope they all moved on from these obsessions and went on to have better lives post-doc.
  • That sounds worth a watch.
    Come with g if you want to live...

• The Secret War. Awesome BBC documentary from the 70's about the secret, scientific war that took place during WWII - from radar and navigational aids for night bombing to V-weapons and ULTRA. It features some amazing captured and declassified footage - the radar screen of an RAF raid on Berlin is particularly incredible. It also features some truly excellent 1970's hairstyles and clothing choices from the presenter and some rather more sober and reserved clothing from the assorted, ingenious 1940's scientific bods being interviewed and interrogated.

The Death of Yugoslavia, six-part series. Again another BBC doc from the time when they educated and informed rather than merely patronised us with celebrity self-indulgences and endless shows about household tat and baking. Helpful for those of us like me who are rather hopelessly ignorant of the various elements that led to the catastrophic wars that tore the region apart in the 1990's.

1973 doc about the Manson family. It's rather unlike modern docs in that the interviewees are rather indulged and given free license to air their paranoid ramblings and there seems to be a conscious decision made to 'sex-up' an already unsettling and notorious event. There's some good found footage of the family and some (largely atrocious) home music recordings. It's a bt grim at times, obv.

No Apparent Motive, a 1980's American doc about the-then rather novel phenomenon of serial killers, featuring all your faves - Bundy et al.

The Angry Brigade, Britain's 1970's answer to the Baader Meinhof gang of hairy, lefty revolutionaries (and terrorists). 

Hell's Angels, again from the 70's and again featuring some truly startling sartorial decisions.
  • I just watched the stalker one you posted way back in March, Larry. Highlight was when Mike Reid's stalker sent him a photo of her washing machine with a note on the back that read "this is to prove I own a washing machine - I have named it Mike Reid."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Great stuff @LarryDavid.

Cheers.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Aye, much appreciated.
  • I've just finished a mini profile on a photographer. I'm going to shamelessly post it here. Right here.

equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Vimeo vid
    An Open Secret, doc about paedophilia in Hollywood. Centering on a group of child managers/talent agents, a dodgy dot-com bubble era production company and some very sad and depressing personal accounts of innocent young lads being traumatized and abused whilst simply being told: "hey kid, it's Hollywood - happens all the time". Cameo from disgraced X-Men/Usual Suspects director and known admirer of young men, Bryan Singer.

The Decline of Western Civilization, Part 2: The Metal Years...

...and now for something a bit lighter.

BBC Storyville doc about the Waco seige. Very good doc, obviously a tragic (and unpleasant) event. Nutters, eh? What are they like?

SPIN. The director obtains raw news feed footage, pre-edit - not the packaged crap you eventually get on your screen, which exposes the lies, hypocrisy and sometimes rank stupidity of politicians. Who knew eh? Funny and depressing in equal measure. I think I posted this before but the link got taken down (as have lots of the older post in here sadly). From the mid-90's by the way, and US politics.
  • An Open Secret is absolutely worth watching.
  • That Secret War doc was fantastic thanks LD.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    That Secret War doc was fantastic thanks LD.
    No probs. It's one of the best, most fascinating docs I've seen, plus to be blunt most of those people are probably dead now so it's great that they got the chance to explain the incredible things they achieved and be acknowledged for their efforts.
    Scout wrote:
    I just watched the stalker one you posted way back in March, Larry. Highlight was when Mike Reid's stalker sent him a photo of her washing machine with a note on the back that read "this is to prove I own a washing machine - I have named it Mike Reid."

Yeah, it's pretty exploitative as a doc but then it's also hilarious. She turned up on This Morning or something a few years later showing off her homemade Mike Reid clock. She's no master clockmaker but you've got to admire the enthusiasm.

• Can't wait to see this. 'The Cold Blue' - they discovered the original footage for William Wyler's 1943 doc/propaganda piece the Memphis Belle, featuring amazing footage of daylight bombing raids over Germany, piled up in some archive and painstakingly restored it. Went through all the whole fifteen hours of raw footage, edited it down then got some of the few surviving bomber crews to talk about their experiences and feelings over the top. Described as Koyaanisqatsi with Bombers, which sounds fucking awesome to me. D-day 75th anniversary coming up so they'll probably be plenty of decent docs to watch.

The-Cold-Blue-Poster-2.jpg
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The soundtrack is by Richard Thompson too.
  • Yeah, I read that. It's mad that stuff like this happened, a thousand planes in the sky flying over central Europe being shot to shit all the way. Not to glorify war or anything, but it's pretty incredible.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Towards the end when the Luftwaffe was knackered there were still unmolested 1000 bomber raids on some German cities. Borderline war crime in all likelihood. Dresden being a case in point. The London Blitz would largely fall into the same category.

The Americans dropped incendiary bombs on Japanese cities knowing full well the impact on a population living in wooden dwellings.

But it's war, isn't it?

The scale of operations is astounding.

Ussb-1.svg
  • Yes, Dresden was appalling and the reason Bomber Command members didn’t get a WWII medal for years as Churchill distanced himself from the outrage post-war (despite enthusiastically championing the idea at the time).

Almost the whole of our nighttime bombing effort was indiscriminate as the RAF discovered it was hopeless trying to hit individual targets at night as the majority of their crews weren’t getting within five miles of them with the technology available at the time. Later precision raids were possible, but Dresden and other late war raids were mostly ‘let’s raise this place to the ground to show that we can’.

It’s a pretty grey area morally, but you can’t deny the huge bravery shown by those flying the missions, knowing that statistically (early and mid war certainly) they had almost no chance of finishing the amount of missions needed to get out as the casualty rate has so high.

My Grandad was in the RAF and he had some b/w photos he’d taken of the bombers that came back from raids and my god, they were pummelled in the skies over Germany. He also told me when the bins were full on base they’d often load them into a bomb bay and drop them over Germany as a pioneering form of fly tipping.
  • I read a book about RAF bomber command a few years back. 
    One thing that struck me was just how dangerous flying itself was then, navigation was rudimentary at best, mechanical failure was common, it was freezing cold, physically demanding/arduous and then you were getting shot at as well.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No denying the bravery at all. It is hard to imagine being strapped into pretty basic flying death machines and going at it. A terrifying prospect.

One of my Granddads was a gunner on North Atlantic convoys. The other was a dispatch rider in France who was shot by a German fighter plane patrol.

Both made it home - though the one who was shot died of a blood clot a few years later - quite possibly a result of his injuries.

It's hard to imagine being plucked out of normal life and dropped into planes, ships, subs, tanks etc. or else shoved out the door with rifle and bayonet in your hands.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!