Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    But Lara is kind of helping the locals (well, not really), who are too brown and drunk to help themselves.
  • I've never really got the whole mass murderer grievance (I mean, I get it - it's just not something that registers with me when playing either franchise).  In the first TR you were mostly wiping out indigenous wildlife iirc - wolves, bears, possibly the last remaining Tyrannosaur - but it was always something I viewed as a shooter adventure.  Likewise the first Uncharted was particularly heavy on the shooting gallery bottlenecks where you ironed out waves of bad soldiers.  I don't want a pacifist adventure from either franchise, nor do I need the realism of the cutscenes to necessarily bleed into the action itself.  I do enjoy the cinematic Uncharted experience but I'm fine with Drake keeping the moral compass in his napsack when it comes to the (still essential imo) shooty bits.  If another inspired-by Indiana Jones game appears with a tranq dart toting hero there's a chance I'll be up for taking a look, but both these franchises started as games where you explored areas while shooting everything that moved. 

My advice fwiw - just go with it, the disconnect makes it work as a videogame.  I'm not convinced some of the complainers would be enamoured with the alternatives they crave.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's not necessarily just the disconnect from any kind of reality - a 20 something girl singlehandedly wipes out entire hardened militia and death squads - but also that the shooting sections are not good. They just seem to get in the way of the actual good bits - clambering up cliffs and swinging between ledges. Drake is even worse - whole sections of tedious shooting and dull "action" before you can get up some cliff face.
  • Would you want 8hrs of cliff faces and buses hanging over precipices though?  For 'scape.  Fun as those sections are they're just route finding, especially in Uncharted.  The shooting breaks it up for me, preventing either the yin or yang from getting tiresome.  I never got the 'FFS not again' feeling when approaching a combat section with Drake, if anything I thought there weren't enough of them in U4.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    8 hours of wandering around jungles and temples, yeah. Give me that any day. Neither game is a convincing shooter, those parts just seem wedged in to extend play time. In fact, just give me a 5 hour game without those parts.
  • I'm with Kow on this give me a shorter game then. Tbf if shooting has to happen, then i would rather the protagonist didnt directly kill the enemy. Rather they were killed/mamed by the environment by one of your actions. This would improve the shooting aspects and add some dark humour into it.

See a camp of enemies in your way. Throw a feshly killed rabbit into the camp and make sure the nearby grizzy bear realizes. Or shoot a branch off a tree which hits the enemy and knocks them out. Anything other than mindless dull shooting.

Or if you really really need to keep shooting in the games. Have less enemies but make it like Manhunt where you have no choice but to kill them, but it needs to be hard to kill them, these people are trained hunters. Not a popup shooting gallery but a hitman who is trailling lara/nathan. That would be intetesting.
  • We're doing personal preferences here but the internet would explode if the next Tomb Raider was only five hours long.  Knocking enemies out with branches instead of shooting them sounds a bit Robocop: The TV Series to me, I quite like gunishment in games.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Put me in the "keep the formula the same, same amount of climbing to shooting sections, but lower the number of enemies you face in each section by like a third or something" camp.

Why have three waves of ten enemies or whatever when two waves of five would do? Make them hit harder but take fewer bullets too, no more Uncharted 1 style cha-cha slide dance moves as I pump rounds into a guy who's only protection is a cotton vest, and give them much increased aim when they're in a flanking position, forcing you to react to their movements more
  • I do like gunishment in games, but feel its excessive in the uncharted/TR games. Maybe the balanced answer is less is more but with added intelligence as Paul said.

It could just be that my tastes in gaming are changing as i get older. Or im become a more soppy bastard since i became a dad. I dunno. Though i would love a next gen new Manhunt game.

On a size note, there was an article in Edge might have been January edition where they interviewed some big wig in gaming. He said the next gen development costs were astronomical and that lengths of games may come down from the 40-60 hours to more of a bitesized blockbuster 10-15-20 hours. The other reason for this was that so few people who buy games see them through to the end. Though the cynic in me thinks by splitting a 60 game in half you can see the other half as a sequel or as dlc.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I have two hour games I haven't managed to finish so a ten hour game seems like pretty good value to me.
  • Kow wrote:
    It's not necessarily just the disconnect from any kind of reality - a 20 something girl singlehandedly wipes out entire hardened militia and death squads - but also that the shooting sections are not good. They just seem to get in the way of the actual good bits - clambering up cliffs and swinging between ledges. Drake is even worse - whole sections of tedious shooting and dull "action" before you can get up some cliff face.

Havent played the 2 sequels but this was my feeling of the first Tomb Raider reboot. The shooting sections were overdone to the point of boredom and there wasnt nearly enough puzzle stuff. What was there was ok but I do think the games would work better if they let go of some of the crutch of shooting all the time. Others have said as well - the gunplay wasnt great with the enemies not nearly being varied enough for the amount that was in it.
    SFV - reddave360
  • The shooting would be better in these games if the AI was actually worth a wank, and they certainly need to thin the numbers down. Less bad guys to each encounter, and make them actually fun to fight like the elites in Halo on legendary.

As much as The Last of Us 2 gets grief for exactly this problem, you should really play the Encounter mode out of context of the story and you'll get some tight as fuck combat scenarios on the harder difficulties - with the assists turned off. I think ND are best in class here, but in the context of the story, it all falls apart.

The main characters bloodlust in these types of games is a problem for sure.
  • Based on some of that I'd say there's a pretty good chance you'd enjoy Call of the Sea.
  • I'd like to see a big dev team challenge themselves to make a game without leaning on the crutch of shooty shooty bang bang. The LoU2 could have told the same story with less big combat areas. Probably would have been better for it too as it would have made those times where violence broke out even more impactful because even as it was you became desensitised to how especially violent it was by the end.

I'd be down for a Drake clamber and puzzle game with a few escape action set-pieces thrown in.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Based on some of that I'd say there's a pretty good chance you'd enjoy Call of the Sea.

I was gonna say the exact same thing.
  • I think I bounced off the uncharteds when it became clear to me there was a set pattern to killing the baddies. It felt like i was just trying to reverse engineer the game rather than have a good time.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Submerged (PC)

You know when people play Uncharted / Tomb Raider and be all like "why is there shooting - give me this game but without the shooting - well it turns out it's not all that after all. Obviously production values rather lower than those two franchises, but that's the basic premise here - and it's all just painfully samey. Like 10 fetch quests in a row, albeit with moderately interesting architecture to assail to get them, and some nice vistas/scenery (and some excellent music to be fair - probably the main actual highlight), and you've kind of seen it all after the first two. Only carried on in the hope of some variety (which never came) or story arc (likewise - the main fetch ceremony was literally the same for all ten, and the art-snippet driven narration was hard to properly understand, and the baddies/goodies were decidedly meh too). So yeah, I fear it has to be a [6], though there's probably the makings of a 7 somewhere within, with a bit more animation and polish and things that are actually different to do...
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Based on some of that I'd say there's a pretty good chance you'd enjoy Call of the Sea.

I literally fell asleep trying to play that...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    I’ll have a look at Call of the Sea, cheers guys. Did I see it on GamePass, or am I confusing it with something else?

You did see it on GP.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:

I literally fell asleep trying to play that...

Same here. Boring as all hell.
  • It's on Game Pass, I think it's an MS studios effort.
  • Fwiw I mostly hated it, but it reviewed quite well and a few badgers enjoyed it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    Muzzy, I played Submerged when it was released on PS4, and wrote about it a few times on here. I don’t think it’s fair to say that the notion of a combat-free Tomb Raider or Uncharted is bad just because Submerged sucked. Lack of combat isnt what made it bad, it was just a really terrible game.

Yup that's fair.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Being serious for an odd post, I do understand both combat viewpoints. My favourite Raiders are Underworld and the original, which are probably the lightest on shooting in the series. Exploratory gameplay's great, it's just that there hasn't been a satisfying replacement for gunplay yet, even though we're certain it shouldn't be that hard.

I fell in love with Uncharted 2 with its multiplayer beta, and then treated its singleplayer as a funfair for pretty pictures and practice before returning to its full-fat MP. Criminally overlooked (best team-based tactical shooter IMO), it set Naughty Dog off down the path of needless tinkering, making each new MP worse, when it was always the players who were wrong!

Anyway, U2's singleplayer had a better-than-average daft videogame story (mocap improved a bunch around then), but I think it's back-to-front to diss it on those grounds when its MP was its real triumph by miles. Whoever coded its aiming did a fantastic job; so much so that I don't think it's ever been matched by another TPS.

Just really old-school, brains-led tactical gameplay, but with graphics from the dawn of the generally less immersive now. Graphics have improved so much since the '90s, but as we know sadly too well, our interactions with games haven't progressed half as much.

Maybe that's actually the best argument for creating a combatless Raider? Feels like we were closer to that possibility in the bedroom days.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Fwiw I mostly hated it, but it reviewed quite well and a few badgers enjoyed it.
    I hated it as well.
    I did enjoy the Unreal tutorial and assets on how to make water that I watched about a month before this came out that turned out to be the opening bit of the game.
    My row boat was going mental.
  • I cant put my finger on it, but Tomb Raider 1 (of the current trilogy) was a fantastic game. It had that, let me see whats next, I'll play alittle longer before going to bed addictiveness to it. RISE i found abit boring so never completed it. SHADOW is starting to feel like paint by numbers, i may give it another evening, but im not sure im gonna complete this. I may have had enough already.

Its a shame as it started out so well, with a evening Day of the Dead festival in a town. I would have liked the game to have remained there for awhile, exploring, doing some tasks maybe. Just tskin in the atmosphere and ambiance. However it does last long then
    Spoiler:

Not sure how far i am into the game, got to the trial of the eagle puzzle, that i was too tired to try to workout last night. Whatever magic sauce was spilt over TB1 has definitely been missing with RISE and SHADOW.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!