Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I can remember being stuck for several days in one of the early levels (underground river with a big waterfall at the end), because I just could not find the route to progress north.

The original was way more than the sum of its parts, so long as the player appreciated the beauty of its suggestion where tech held it back. Tech from the past; imagination from the future.

I loved that era, with fond memories of its digitised skyboxes.

Factory.jpg
    Jack.png

I still don't think we've realised what — in their blocky glory — they were hinting at, and a lot of modern games look gamier to me, albeit obviously much better. I find Cyberpunk's visual content-push claustrophobic and fake-feeling.
  • Kow wrote:
    Rise is not better, unless you're mental.

I’m with Kow here. TR2013 was decent, but Rise is baaaad. Playing it right now and think I’m quite near the end but I just want it to be finished.
  • Yeah I couldn't wait for it to be over
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm fairly close to the end of Shadow. It has some great tombs and exploration, climbing etc. But the constant shit story and lousy combat sections are just a pain. A one woman murdering machine comes and saves the poor brown people, while at the same time looting all their valuables and smashing up all their holy places.
  • Basically tomb raider should be set in 1790s and lara made a conquistador. Therefore justifiying the plundering and looting and murder of indigenous peoples.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Tombe Raidere
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Finished Shadow. What a shit ending, horrible shitty boss fight. There are loads of great moments in the game, it's a pity it's spoiled by a lousy, insulting story and weak, boring combat. I found Lara to be a particularly unlikeable character this time around, like colonialism in tight trousers.
  • Glad it's not just me that couldn't get on with Rise. I deleted it last year and had thought about returning to it later this year but you've persuaded me not to. Shame because the first reboot was pretty good in a post-Uncharted kind of way.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • It's almost impressive that they became progressively worse after decent start.
  • Yeah game sequels most of the times get better!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • If they sell that for more than £10 it’ll be a joke because those games are regularly free/£2 games.
  • Glad it's not just me that couldn't get on with Rise. I deleted it last year and had thought about returning to it later this year but you've persuaded me not to. Shame because the first reboot was pretty good in a post-Uncharted kind of way.

The first reboot TB is a great game. Really enjoyable. The sequels not so much.
  • Didn’t one of them become a timed Xbox exclusive for a while?  I seem to remember it was to come out against U4 but that got delayed by a decade or something.  All the xbox only sites were suddenly declaring it wonderful when it was quite clearly merely not a travesty like some of them had been.
  • Rise was a timed exclusive.
  • There's a lot of crazy talk going on in here, because Rise of the Tomb Raider is a fucking brilliant game.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Rise was the second one?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yeah second one and best of the trilogy.
  • Yeah it wasn't bad at all but was glad when it was over. I thought it was better than the first game tbh.
  • Rise was way too long and over-filled with a lot of not very interesting content. Way too much shooty shooty, incessant amounts of moany moany, not enough tomby tomby - the best tombs were actualy post-launch DLC which is a bit rotten and Lara was a horendously dull protagonist. It's also worth noting that Rise and Shadow have the exact same opening few hours, set dressing aside, beat for beat:

Start with Lara travelling with Jonah (Snowy Mountains in Siberia / Plane)
    There's a bit of tension between them and they have a talk about the type of person Lara is. Lara says she NEEDS TO DO THIS ON HER OWN. Jonah tells her that SHE DOESN'T HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING ALONE!! 
    They encounter an issue (Avalanche!!! Plane starts to fall!!!)
    CRUNCH!!! CRASH!!! FADE TO BLACK!!!! 
    Flashback to X time earlier
    Tutorial sequence where Lara discovers the location of the thing she is searching for 
    FLASHFORWARD BACK TO AFTER THE CRASH
    Lara must set up by a fire / early tutorial / basic combat stuff you know the drill
    FIRST BOSS FIGHT - A BIG ANIMAL (Bear / Panther)

Both games are obsessed with it BEING LARA'S FAULT and LARA IS RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHING and YOU ARE NOT ALONE LARA YOU HAVE FRIENDS LARA.

Lara is a marytr. Except, she isn't. She's just insuferable.

Both games are FAR TOO LOUD. She's always slipping and sliding and crashing and crunching and the games are so afraid to let you do more than 5 minutes of uninterupted platforming or puzzling. And if she is not slipping and sliding and crashing and crunching, there is shooting and booming and stabbing. 

The OG Reboot was good, I enjoyed it. The 2nd game is Poundland Uncharted, and I barely even enjoy the Uncharted games (for the same reasons as listed above). The skill trees, crafting and collectables are about as boringly implimented as they could have possibly been - there's scope there for tools and upgrades that make Lara move and feel different. Instead, it's the same upgrade paths and bonuses we see in, well, let's be honest...The Ubisoft Game.

They're cynical, too long, too bloated, they have the same repetitive story structure (including, might I add, the EXACT SAME CHARACTER ARCS FOR LARA AND JONAH!!), terrible characters overall, middling gameplay, boring XP and collectibles-based gameplay loops, poor stealth, awful swimming, not enough Tombs, too many trial and error OH MY GOD THIS IS SO LOUD AND YES THERE'S A LOT OF PARTICLE EFFECTS BUT IT'S NOTHING MORE THAN A DOGSHIT ON RAILS TRIAL AND ERROR HOLLYWOOD ACTION OH MY GOD WILL YOU PLEASE STOP BEING SO LOUD SETPIECES...I could go on.

Rise is boring over long garbo. Shadow is super garbo.
  • I apologise.

Why? Stand by your comments. I agree with them.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That long, moany moany post was a metaphor for the games I take it?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There's about 20% of each game that is good and worth playing, the rest is drivel. And Lara has become the most annoying and offensive of characters.
  • Agree from what I can remember.  I enjoyed the reboot - among other things I thought it had a very satisfying bow and arrow - but the sequel just tried to BIGGER it and fudged certain things.  Crafting and skills trees don't float my boat either.  I love the Uncharted games for the staunch lack of faff and I find the puddle deep quick quipping 'boys own annual' stuff easier to swallow than the modern TR nonsense.  There's a generous dollop of TinTin in the Naughty Dog games. 

NB: I liked most of the nonsense in the OG TR and also like the Crystal Skull style all-bets-are-off stuff you usually get in the final section of an Uncharted.  IIRC there was some decent oddness going on at the end of the first of the most recent TR reboot series but I can't remember much of Rise other than the fact that it scraped a [7] when I put it in the Play Lots Of Games thread.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    That long, moany moany post was a metaphor for the games I take it?

*like*
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I can't remember much of Rise other than the fact that it scraped a [7] when I put it in the Play Lots Of Games thread.

Except it didn't.  I just looked and I gave it an [8].  Apparently I preferred the shooting to Uncharted and thought the climbing was more varied.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I can't remember much of Rise other than the fact that it scraped a [7] when I put it in the Play Lots Of Games thread.

Except it didn't.  I just looked and I gave it an [8].  Apparently I preferred the shooting to Uncharted and thought the climbing was more varied.

The climbing had some upgrades that opened new areas, Metroidvania style - there’s an arrow you can shoot into boards and perch off of which adds the veneer of choice to platforming, even if the use of that item is very prescribed. I’d wager it’s things like that which made the climbing feel more varied - which it is, tbf...they just don’t do much interesting with it, unfortunately.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!