A thread for the pets
  • Yeah the missold thing is a bit off but I can't say I'm too bothered. Border/Patterdale crosses go for about the same amount anyway, it's not like he is a pedigree dog or anything.
    When i was a kid i always wanted a staffy (it was the 80s, they weren't chavvy then) i finally got one from a breeder and after a couple of months it was quite clear he wasn't a pure staff, his legs were way too long. 
    We phoned the breeder up and took him around to show him and he as like, 'oh yeah! The others are fine (he still had one or two from the litter).' He gave us most of the money back and we kept him, obviously. 
    That dog was the friendliest, smartest dog I've ever known, quite often the mixed bloods are the best, robust etc...
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Guess who's getting 2 Maine Coon kittens? Yup. Can't wait to get stuck into this thread, always loved dogs and cats, now that we're moving into our own home early March we can actually have some. Dog is waiting a few years whilst we settle, the cats are moving in with us in about 3 months time (they're just 2 days old atm).

Anyone any advice?
  • Get a good hoover.

I wanted a Maine Coon, stuck with 4 ragdolls and a witches cat.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Make sure one cat is dark and the other is light coloured so their hair will show on every type of clothing you own.

Get insurance, use petplan or directline (petplan are really good), the vets bills can be lifetime debt affairs.

Dont get a roomba.

Don't panic when they throw up - cats do it a lot (also why dont get a roomba).

Decide if they are going to be let them out or not - Maine Coons are expensive

Dont buy expensive pet dens, they will probably like the cardboard box it came in more.

Store bought catfood has lots of carbs in it from things like rice and other vegetables, consider not feeding them this and source pure meat stuff instead (zooplus website sells it), because there's a very high chance of diabetes from all the carbs later in life.
    Cats are one of the few animals that never eat vegetables in the wild.
  • One ginger, one smokey. Wooden flooring throughout the house :)

Both come chipped, vaccinated, 4 months pet plan, certificates etc, can view the mum with them, from our research this is all good stuff.

We're still undecided about letting them out or not, certainly not whilst they're little, and perhaps we'll build a little enclosure outside to give them some fresh air (anyone done this before? It hadn't occurred to me until I saw one online).

Anyway, very excited.
  • Have you noticed any other cats in the area? If there are, and you let them out, fights will probably follow. Although, Maine coons are the second biggest pet cat breed, when they're fully grown they'll likely be able to beat up dogs if they want.
  • nick_md wrote:
    perhaps we'll build a little enclosure outside to give them some fresh air (anyone done this before?

We brought a small aviary so ours could get some fresh air and dream of eating the wildlife.

Ours also have a cat tree which they all love.
    Can-of-sprite
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    source pure meat stuff instead

Have a look around your local area. When I was in Derby there was a chicken prep[ factory nearby. My mate James used to pop up there to get all the ends and stuff, which he then minced and mixed with a little breadcrumb and fed his own dogs, and sold to others online, make friends with your butcher even
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    Have you noticed any other cats in the area? If there are, and you let them out, fights will probably follow. Although, Maine coons are the second biggest pet cat breed, when they're fully grown they'll likely be able to beat up dogs if they want.

Damn I thought MC's were the biggest, what's top do...err cat?
  • If you keep them in maybe consider getting a little tray planter of lawn grass.
    They eat grass when they feel sick so can really cut down on the amount you have to clean up.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    6e3a1b0b70450b2a8798add88a1f4135.jpg
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • nick_md wrote:
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    Have you noticed any other cats in the area? If there are, and you let them out, fights will probably follow. Although, Maine coons are the second biggest pet cat breed, when they're fully grown they'll likely be able to beat up dogs if they want.

Damn I thought MC's were the biggest, what's top do...err cat?

The biggest is a savannah cat, which is a cross with a big wild cat (either a serval or an ocelot, can't remember which) and a big domestic breed, usually a Bengal. They're the size of Labradors when they're fully grown.

Bloody pricey as well. The closer to wild they are, the more expensive. Think the f1 rating means they're 1 generation away from fully wild, seen them go for upwards of 5 grand.

Maine coons are beautiful big cats though. Saw an article about them on fb earlier, if I can find it again I'll post it on here

• Ah wicked, thanks Haw. Just checked Savannah's and they don't look as big as a Coon, although Coon's have that lovely thick fur which probably skews it.

Interested to see the article if you find it!
  • Here we go:

http://mymodernmet.com/robert-sijka-maine-coon-portraits

Bloody gorgeous cats. 'Like they're wearing the fur of their fallen enemies'
  • I think coons are bulkier, Savannah cats are longer. Seen pictures of them standing on their back paws, with their front ones on the shoulders of short people. Also read stories of savannah owners neighbours calling the cops cos they thought there was a lynx running free.

But, coons. A friend has one, only recommendation she made was get a hair clipper. If they have a runny arse, it'll stick to the fur around it, you'll need to clip it off. I had to do this with tibbs the other week.

Fun start to the day.
  • Hah, noted. We had the same problem with a toy poodle when I was a kid.

I hear coons are very affectionate, well, for cats. Is one of the driving factors for the choice of breed.
  • Aye, her pal says her coon is a big softy as well. We were considering saving up for one, but then saw the advert for tibbs and went for him.

It was her pal that convinced her to get a cat. I'd been trying for better part of 5 years with no joy. Need to get her pal to convince her that threesome's are great next.......
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    same problem with a toy poodle when I was a kid

Sounds like the same principle as a no more tears doll but in far poorer taste
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    Aye, her pal says her coon is a big softy as well.

Just realised the potential for innuendo in that sentence.

Where's hair?
  • Don't let your MCs out NMD unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

They will get stolen or killed by their curiosity/lack of fear of things they don't understand unfortunately.

Breeder made practically swear on me mams life I wouldn't let him out when I was collecting him.

Also have you budgeted for food? Mine has a mild appetite and eats six pouches of food plus biscuits every day.

Also also I second the shitty arse tip from hawbaws, cept I just use scissors if he gets poop stick to his butt fur. If you have to wash them fingers crossed yours like water otherwise its like trying to wrestle an alligator.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Rouj with all the good cat sense.

Ours are having a bath tonight, I will have deep scratches to show for it tomorrow.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Another vote for keeping them inside, for the same reasons. Particularly if you'll be having them neutered.

Although mines is only half ragdoll, all the advice I read suggested keeping them indoors, as ragdolls are famous for being curious and fearless, must be a thing among the bigger breeds, so tibbs is an indoor cat. Apart from anything else, there are some sick bastards out there who could hurt a cat just for the same of it.

R.e. water: my wee buggers obsessed with it. Do the dishes, he sits beside the sink watching. Have a bath, he sits on the edge watching. He tries to get things he can see under the water, like forks, toes, wee bastard even took a swipe at my junk!

Another reason for keeping him indoors though, neighbour a few doors up has a fish pond in their garden. He'd be in it if he had a chance.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I was really happy to finally get a place I could meet Nimoy outside, but it wasn't long until a neighborhood cat started to bully him, even coming into the house a coupe of times. Not long after I left he got bit by either a huge cat or a fox, got infected and died not long after

Describe vote for inside from me, at least until they're about eighteen months two years old
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Friends' cat that was missing for a month just turned up outside her house skinny as hell and smelling damp. She's over the moon and the effect is contagious. Rumours of gypsy catnappings in the community weren't helping.
  • My sister in-law's parents live in Spain in the middle of nowhere.
    Their cat Schrodinger often goes wondering for days on end. Last year it disappeared for a month. Came back a bit skinny and missing a paw.
    He is doing alright now though, although sometimes forgets it is down one paw.

Cats are amazing survivalists.
  • A new neighbour of ours has a Coon, she walks it every morning. 
    I wouldn't let it out, cats are fine if you keep them indoors, they miss out on the hunt thing but then they don't get the stress and infections from other cats on their turf, so swings and roundabouts.
  • Keeping indoors OK.

Declawing NO YOU FUCKING MONSTERS. Only met Americans who think it's ok when it's blatantly not.
  • Declawing is a no no, imho.

Another reason to keep them in is the cat equivalent of the kennel club. When we were cat shopping, we saw a maine coon breeder just outside Glasgow, selling what they called pure bred coons for a suspiciously cheap price. Reason they were so cheap was that they let their cats roam free (it was a farm they lived on); apparently in order to be recognised as a pure bred they have to be kept indoors. 

Worth considering if you're thinking about breeding them in future, although if either of them are male you'll maybe want to get them snipped, or they'll scent mark all over your house.
  • I wouldn't keep a cat indoors myself, but don't peer down my nose at people who do.  I've never had anything that wasn't a George's Marvellous Medicine of breeding though. 

A mate at work was talking about getting another cat recently, despite the fact that he had two kittens from my sister-in-law about eight years ago that lasted less than 18 months before they got rehomed. Was happy to just get a few digs in about the last time he had cats until he mentioned declawing due to expensive furniture.  Fuck that, get a Furby.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!