A thread for the pets
  • Thanks for all the input lads. I reckon we'll keep them indoors tbh as like some have pointed out people can be a) thieving cunts and b) cruel cunts. The missus would be heartbroken if anything happened. I'm keen on the idea of some sort of cat enclosure though to at least give them fresh air and a taste of the wild. we have quite a long but narrow garden that drops down a few levels, so can probably fashion some sort of interesting run for them.

More questions: I've read that some folk leave food out all day and their cats eat small amounts throughout, as per the wild, whilst some cats a greedy fat fucks who get overweight like that, so feeding twice a day is preferred. What's the consensus here?
  • Oh and fuck declawing, what kind of cunt do you have to be to entertain the notion?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Enclosure is tricky, the little buggers get everywhere
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cats are tricky. If you spend big I can see the argument for keeping them in. But cats are essentially still a wild animal that tolerates domesticity. 

Family home has had a cat for a few decades now - always some sort of Dolly mixture cat but they were all chucked out at night because at dusk they go mental and it's obvious they need out. As they age that tends to taper off - some older cats start to prefer to stay in at night. 

You never really own a cat. They aren't that type of beast. Ours used to go on jamborees for days and had several feeding stations with neighbours around the neighbourhood.

There's the fear of cruelty too - sadly that risk goes with the territory. And unlike dogs cats never develop road sense as they are far too twitchy. As a kid - back when dogs roamed free - seeing a dog cross the road better than adults was commonplace. But cats never really get it so it's another risk with owning one.

And declawing etc - never an excuse for that.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Pets are like babies in that people will tell you how to deal with them but in reality, outside of common sense things like "do not shake hard" and "do not set on fire" only you will know how to deal with your own specific animal. 

Case in point, everything that Davy has said about cats (bar declawing) is the total opposite of how I handled Ritsuko. She hated the outside from the minute we had her, is firmly an indoor cat, and is closer to a dog in the way that she follows you around and sits on your lap. She has, over a period of about 5 years, progressed from walking only around the edge of the garden, to crossing the middle of it, but has never once left the confines of the fence.

In the end you can't be didactic about it, it's an animal. Same with feeding, some cats need food down all the time, others need feeding at specific times, you really have to feel it out. Ritsuko can have food down for days and never gorge, but the second she can see the bottom of the bowl, it is empty, even and she won't eat any more even if the biscuits are still around the edges.
  • Aye for sure, I'm just hyped up for the little buggers atm so wanting to discuss :) I expect their personality will let me know what's best.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Well - yeah - if the cat wants to stay in - then I wouldn't kick it out.

Our cats at a certain time in the evening started attacking imaginary mice with a more than normal toying gusto and would generally be climbing the walls with black pupils the size of saucers - which invariably prompted Daddio, without a word, to lift the animal and chuck it out the door or window - whichever was nearest. I cannot remember ever there being a protest from the said cat.
  • Tibbs has dry food out all day, gets a sachet of wet food at night (same with the dog). But as said, it's different for every one. He's a bit tubby now, but he's still got a lot of growing to do, so im not overly concerned just now. When he's an adult I'll probably control it a bit more, he's obviously not out roaming, so isn't getting as much exercise as an outdoor cat.

He is curious about outside, but that's because he sees the dog coming and going, he follows dougie everywhere. He's mellowing out gradually now he's had his baws off, still the odd couple of hours everyday where he runs about the house, or practices killing us. But as that gets less, his affectionate side is becoming more noticeable. Used to only be able to pet him for a minute before he'd attack my hand, now getting about two. He's also using his claws less when he takes a swipe, still biting a bit though.
  • is it even legal here?
    Edir: oops page turn, was referring to declawing
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yoshi goes outside every day, has a sachet of wet food in the morning and evening and dry food throughout the day. He is 6kg of cat tho. Not fat, just a. Big. Boy.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    is it even legal here? Edir: oops page turn, was referring to declawing

I hope not, I always admired Cologne for categorising infant circumcision for any purpose other than medical as child abuse
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • All the rescue cats I have had will gulp down any food put out regardless of how full they are, probably due to being starved in the past.
    The one we had from birth could have food out all day. Like others say, it depends on the cat.

One thing I would say is, as you are getting two, make sure one doesn't bully the other off their share of the food. It's all just a case of monitoring them early on.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    We had this ginger monster once called Jessie. Swallowed a rat head first in front of me one Saturday morning. He bit down at the base of the spine and left the tail and back legs.

He was a fucking ace cat. Rapped the door when he wanted in.
  • Haha.
    My brother's car jingles the keys in the back door lock when she wants out.
  • I love the bloody things, so much personality and character with so little maintenance!
    Yeh strangers will come to your house and the cat might be a 'who the eff is that!?' and steer clear, they will leave thinking 'what the hell do they get out of that animal?', but once you are in the cat circle of trust you are in a exclusive you may touch me club.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Going to my pals tonight for a Fifa tourney. He got this wee dude this week..

PoewK2q.jpg

I may have a cry. So pure.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Good dog that dog

My cats graze on food all day. Feed them in the morning and at night. They may get through a can and a half to two cans.

If there's spare chicken, or treats, I get catnip chocolate drops, they yum them up in seconds and pang for more.

They've never been out in their lives but they're full pedigree so there's that. Also explains why one is kicking 16 years as they've never had cat aids or such.

Cats throw up as and when it suits them, so be prepared to replace or clean carpets.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Wood floors throughout mfers!

Had a photo update today from the breeder, cute little buggers are tiny. Vet checked em today too, turns out ones a lass. Going to be a long 12 weeks.

Gav that dogs gonna be one handsome, proud looking fucker when he's older.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    He's already got that 'you know you want this babe' look locked down.
  • nick_md wrote:
    More questions: I've read that some folk leave food out all day and their cats eat small amounts throughout, as per the wild, whilst some cats a greedy fat fucks who get overweight like that, so feeding twice a day is preferred. What's the consensus here?
    It's true. We've got one of each. You could leave Fred's food out all day, but George would eat it all (and her own). We have to be ever vigilant.

Ours only eat dry food, but it's good shit. 80% meat, plus other goodness.
  • Can confirm Opie is a absolute baby jelly bean cutie pie and he must be protected at all costs.

3iUqs0n.jpg

KcMls21.jpg

3A8hxgI.jpg

My heart, it aches.
  • :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I would steal that doggo
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Cruella de Reg.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Wood floors throughout mfers! Had a photo update today from the breeder, cute little buggers are tiny. Vet checked em today too, turns out ones a lass. Going to be a long 12 weeks. Gav that dogs gonna be one handsome, proud looking fucker when he's older.
    They WILL run to the nearest bit of rug and puke on it. Be warned.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hahaha, that or they'll sweep all your add their hair into a Corbett abbr do it in that

edit : "corner and" nothing to do with Ronnie
  • Such happiness :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Clayton on his new bed, with monkey. Monkey is a right knobhead and regularly has to be put in his place by being chewed.
    PpuI9Oph.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!