A thread for the pets
  • Aw, man, sorry Moot.

Is it wrong that I want to see Tilly’s letter?
  • Nah you can see it, or I'll post the gist of it later anyway. 

I'm quite pleased she's going in today, it must've been a long few days for her.  She hates going to the vet though, that's my main worry now.  Whirling dervish hates.
  • :(
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Poor girl. Poor Moot and family, too. :(
  • Cats are a proud species, it can make their suffering worse.
    Whatever happens mate know you are doing right by them.
  • Thanks all.  Sorry to turn the thread into a huge downer.  

...The letter then.  Stiffen those lips:
    Spoiler:
    It's not her birthday, thankfully.
  • :(
  • Nooooooooooooooooo *many cries*
  • I love the things kids write. It’s generally a blend of poorly chosen / blunt phrasing where the intended meaning is clear, and wtf moments where you have no idea what’s going through their little heads.
  • Yep, she was telling the vet all about it too (before waiting outside).  All done now, he found what he described as an 'aggressive tumour' by feeling her stomach, and said the sudden blindness had been caused by a haemorrhage.  Tough old girl, purring away at the last.
  • Xoxo to the moot family and Splodge.
  • R.i.P Splodge.
  • Sad times but it's for the best.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sorry moot, at least she's at peace, all the feels
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Am sure she's had the best of times mate, if the worst happens. As I always say, celebrate the life.
  • The other cat has gone mad.  Tearing around the house jumping up doorframes (she's no spring chicken either, must be 12 now).  They always did their best to pretend they never got on, but the invisible laser pen shenanigans don't fool me.  Unless I'm misreading it and she's over the moon.
  • R.I.P Splodge. 

All the best moot, echoing what NMD said, be happy that she was well looked after and loved by you guys and all the memories that I'm sure she provided. 

I came home today and had to pick up Jones from the kennel, felt super bad when I picked him up, he was dead silent when he saw me and just stayed hunkered in the back corner of his little chalet on his heated mat even when I came in to pick him up. Have since filled him full of tuna and had some hugs and he's now snoring away on an old dominos box he's commandeered as a bed. 

Leaving your pets behind is the worst.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Oh man not the best news in here. Really sorry Moot, but that is a great age.

We’re currently looking to get a Chug, doing all the research and looking at the options. There are so many sites and sellers and it’s difficult knowing which to follow etc. Any advice on puppy buying is very welcome.
  • That a chihuahua and pug mix? 

Sounds hella yappy. My advice for dags is get something like Bramble.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Puppy buying advice.

1. Ask to see the mother and ideally the father as well (although not necessary)
    Firstly this shows the dog isn't stolen but it also gives you an idea of how your dog will behave. Puppy farms have been known to interbreed siblings which results in exactly the retarded dog you could imagine, to the point the could be aggressive and impossible to teach.

2. Ask to see vet paperwork, they should be, at the very least, wormed and flead.

3. Ask to see where they are currently living. Never buy from anywhere but where they are living.

4. Always walk away if you think something is wrong, you might be rescuing that puppy but you would be commiting many more to the same or worse fate.

5. I would have a look at common ailments for your chosen breed(s). A mix means these should be lessened but still could be there. For example Pugs have difficulties breathing so be aware when walking them long distances or on hot days. Other breeds have hip and joint problems. Some have problems with particular organs. There isn't a breed out there that isn't subject to a certain ailment but it's important to know what this may be.

6. Book the first week off work. Ideally the first fortnight it is best if there is someone there all the time. I barely left the house in that first fortnight.

7. Regardless of puppy size buy the biggest training pads available.

8. Buy anti-chew spray and use it on things like chair legs.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The other cat has gone mad.  Tearing around the house jumping up doorframes (she's no spring chicken either, must be 12 now).  They always did their best to pretend they never got on, but the invisible laser pen shenanigans don't fool me.  Unless I'm misreading it and she's over the moon.
    Omg. 
    When our ginger died, our B&W cat went nuts. Over the moon. 
    They lived together for about 12 years but she must have hated it. 
    She's a different cat now, much more attentive and loving.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • If the Chug is bred from a flat-nosed Chihuahua rather than a deer-faced one, that sounds destined to have a shit life.
  • Such sadness when a loved pet dies.

I'm experiencing a different sadness right now, considering having to re-home tibbs. I went out for a drink with my older brother tonight who's up visiting from down south. While i was out, tibbs attacked Cullen's feet, using his claws (which is out of character for a ragdoll, normally they'll 'soft paw' and use claws as a last resort) now mrs bawjaws is at the end of her tether with him.

He seems to recognise me as the alpha and doesn't act up as much when I'm around. But if I'm at work or out, he's a different cat. Tries to trip her up on the stairs, attacks the dog, and now he's going for junior.

We've agreed to get some spray bottles of water, soon as he even so much as looks at Cullen he gets a skoosh, hopefully he'll learn to leave him alone. He's a smart wee cat, so should pick it up. But he's also a complete wee arsepiece (kinda why i like him so much) so i think he knows what he's doing is wrong but he chooses to do it anyway.

Fuck, I don't want to re-home him. We've had him since he was small enough to fit in my pocket, i love him to bits.

Fuck.
  • Definitely try the spray bottle.
    There are also those things you plug into the wall socket like a Glade plug and fresh. They aren't cheap but they helped settle one of my old cats.
  • Roujin wrote:
    That a chihuahua and pug mix? 

Sounds hella yappy. My advice for dags is get something like Bramble.

Yep! My mother in law has one and he’s a ridiculously happy and happy little guy.
    Puppy buying advice.

1. Ask to see the mother and ideally the father as well (although not necessary)
    Firstly this shows the dog isn't stolen but it also gives you an idea of how your dog will behave. Puppy farms have been known to interbreed siblings which results in exactly the retarded dog you could imagine, to the point the could be aggressive and impossible to teach.

2. Ask to see vet paperwork, they should be, at the very least, wormed and flead.

3. Ask to see where they are currently living. Never buy from anywhere but where they are living.

4. Always walk away if you think something is wrong, you might be rescuing that puppy but you would be commiting many more to the same or worse fate.

5. I would have a look at common ailments for your chosen breed(s). A mix means these should be lessened but still could be there. For example Pugs have difficulties breathing so be aware when walking them long distances or on hot days. Other breeds have hip and joint problems. Some have problems with particular organs. There isn't a breed out there that isn't subject to a certain ailment but it's important to know what this may be.

6. Book the first week off work. Ideally the first fortnight it is best if there is someone there all the time. I barely left the house in that first fortnight.

7. Regardless of puppy size buy the biggest training pads available.

8. Buy anti-chew spray and use it on things like chair legs.

Awesome dude, a lot of things we’ve seen elsewhere but a few new things we hadn’t, thanks for going to such lengths!
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The other cat has gone mad.  Tearing around the house jumping up doorframes (she's no spring chicken either, must be 12 now).  They always did their best to pretend they never got on, but the invisible laser pen shenanigans don't fool me.  Unless I'm misreading it and she's over the moon.
    Omg.  When our ginger died, our B&W cat went nuts. Over the moon.  They lived together for about 12 years but she must have hated it.  She's a different cat now, much more attentive and loving.

Kiki was the ubertroll though, at the very least I thought she'd be a bit miffed that she's got one less pet buddy to irritate.
  • Hawbaw, that's one hell of a dilemma.  Good luck.
  • Pugs are super inbred as standard, of the ~10k in the UK they have a gene pool of around 50. My mum has a 10month old jet black pug now so was reading up on them over Xmas. I never had myself down as a pug person but by fuck was she a lovely nature, super happy (probably because she's so thick). She falls asleep instantly on your lap. Lovely dog.
  • And aye, tough situ there Baws, crossing fingers here for the water solution.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!