A thread for the pets
  • nick_md wrote:
    Pugs are super inbred as standard, of the ~10k in the UK they have a gene pool of around 50. My mum has a 10month old jet black pug now so was reading up on them over Xmas. I never had myself down as a pug person but by fuck was she a lovely nature, super happy (probably because she's so thick). She falls asleep instantly on your lap. Lovely dog.

Yeah of the two or three we’ve spent some time with recently they’ve been the exact same, really happy and of a really good nature.
  • One thing I forgot to elaborate on.
    When identifying known issues with the breed have a look at vet bills for possible treatments and if it is possible to insure against it, some insurers may not cover certain ailments for certain breeds.

There is an operation to aid breathing in breeds like pugs but I bet it isn't cheap.

On that note, neutering males is easier and possible cheaper so something to consider.

• I am learning that bird owners are quietly hilarious.
  • Got no sound where I'm sitting at work but she looks a bit like Stacey Dooley.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Love owls.

Look at her ickle legs.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    That was the guy who complained about a woman shitting against his van I think.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Liv’s puppy advice up there was all top-notch. Good work, old chap.
  • Another question, it appears the age to move them to a new home is around 10 weeks, we’ve just been offered one around 8 months that needs re-homing due to an allergy problem. Is this a good opportunity as it will be rather trained already or will it have long term issues in a new environment?
  • 8wks is a bit early imo, but it'd probably be fine.  We picked up Bramble at 12wks after selecting the puppy the breeders had dubbed 'Tim Nice but Dim' at around 7wks.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    8wks is a bit early imo, but it'd probably be fine.  We picked up Bramble at 12wks after selecting the puppy the breeders had dubbed 'Tim Nice but Dim' at around 7wks.

Months not weeks! I don’t think it’ll be an issue but trying to ask everywhere to get the most information.
  • Actually, I'm misremembering.  We think they swapped the puppy we selected with the snoozy one they called Tim Nice but Dim at some point between 7 and 12wks.  The shape of the nose was quite different and he was slightly darker.  My memory is crap, I wasn't there for the collection and assuming they'd done a switcheroo on the wife.
  • Ha my memory is terrible and my information is worse.  8 months seems a good age to rehome a pup, but try to get a bead on his personality first because bad habits might stick around etc.
  • He won't smell like a puppy any more though, so you'd miss out on that.
  • Main thing for me is missing out on that 8 months of learning and imprinting on her, whether that really matters in the long run, I doubt it.
  • Eight months is almost adult (most vets/trainers class puppies as up to nine months or a year). I think it’s very different to bringing home a young pup at 12-ish weeks. What you’re looking at is closer to rehoming than raising the wee thing yourselves.

That said, you can definitely still train and bond with a new dog of any age. The ‘can’t teach an old dog’ thing is bollocks.

If you’re going to rescue/rehome a dog then finding one as young as eight months is a brilliant opportunity. But if you really wanted to raise a puppy from scratch, that’s not what you’re getting.
  • I found Clayton to be a right naughty little boy between 6 and 9 months. Regressed from initial training before bouncing back by 12 months old. I believe this can be a fairly typical age for that, rebellious teenage months if you will.

However I wouldnt let that put you off, just be aware they may be be just as troublesome as a younger pup for a bit. Although it will probably blend in with the settling in training you will have to do anyway.

I would say go and check out the pup for sure.
  • So after some more reading we’ve decided to stick with the puppy idea and are hopefully picking one up at the end of Jan. Have started buying all the stuffs today. Anything in particular or any brands in particular to look for/stay away from for things such as puppy pads, worming stuff etc?
  • Avoid toys made of rope as they can get threads caught in their digestive system., Clayton has one but I only use it under supervision.
    Kong toys are brilliant, they are a bit pricier but very hard wearing in my experience.

Wilko do the best puppy pads imho. Large, cheap, absorbent.

I recommend asking the breeder what food the pup has been eating with them. I ended up feeding Clayton Royal Canin Mini Junior dry food which did him well but everyone will tell you what they think is best, don't feel guilty if you aren't willing to slave over cooking fresh chicken everyday though. For your own sake I would avoid anything on the cheap end or wet stuff as it makes their shits fucking stink, I had to get Clay Pedigree Chum sachets as that is all the shop had and I didnt plan ahead, he had one sachet and the rest went to the local rescue centre. Once you know what they like definitely bulk buy and check places like Amazon.

Pets at Home VIP card generally isn't worth having, they are very expensive and the vouchers rarely bring prices below that of Jolleys or online.

Worm/Flea, get from the vets. High St stuff isn't always as effective, even the same brands.

Most important, enjoy the new pupper!
  • Awesome Live, each and every post of yours has been informative and helpful, aces work muchly appreciated.
  • No worries mate, been through it all over the past year so it is fresh in the mind.
  • My advice is take a lot of photos and post every single one of them here.
  • My advice is take a lot of photos and post every single one of them here.

There's never enough pictures in here.

I'll repeat Live's Kong toys are great! Mine isn't a power chewer so they've lasted 3 months at a fiver a pop at most from Amazon. But we can use them for tug and they've been pulled apart.

Read about positive reinforcement training and redirection. Try not to take food and toys away from your puppy without trade or distraction as resource guarding is a possibility.

Dogs subreddit can be a judgemental fuck of a place but is also helpful if you want resources. Highly recommended trainers on there are Victoria Stillwell, Patricia McConnell, kikopup on YouTube and Sophia Yin (among others). The latter has a book called Perfect Puppy in 7 Days. Never read it though but it was recommended on that sub.
  • There will be lots of photo’s taken and shared here of the little guy. He’ll be around 9 weeks when we pick him up.

Gonna leave a couple of ‘puppy sheets’ and the awesome carrying bag with the parents and their owner for a week after going to see him and meet them and ask for them to introduce the bag and sheets over that week so he’s comfortable and they have his mothers scent etc on so when we pick him up he’s more at ease.

Just ordered a couple of Kong chews, and a few puppy pads from Wilko’s. Picked up an awesome bed this morn and now we’re getting some insurance and vet contacts sorted for the worm/flea stuff.
  • Jealous. I want a cute puppy! Barely have enough energy for a grown up puppy though. What kind are you getting?
  • I would definitely echo that reddit, yahoo answers etc etc can be judgemental. Try to take that stuff with a pinch of salt.

You are a good person so your moral compass will guide you right, secondly, they are a dog not a faberge egg. 
    They are hardy things really and at the same time they will hurt themselves every now and again, like kids.
    You will definitely tread on their paws at least once, and they will yelp and give you the eyes and raise the paw but they are fine 99% of the time.

One more bit of advice, ease them into being left alone after a few days. Just stand outside for 10 minutes at first, then trips to the shop, building up as the days and weeks go on. Some people say you can't leave a dog for an hour but those people probably never trained their dog to be alone. The dog probably wishes they would fuck off for a bit.
  • Jealous. I want a cute puppy! Barely have enough energy for a grown up puppy though. What kind are you getting?

A Chug! Always thought I’d want quite a big dog but the mother in law has one and we adore him so it’s a good start from there!
  • Don't think I've posted any of these.

37006064734_0260896043_b.jpg
    38336362022_ca0d9ed6a3_b.jpg
    39398073742_4e08d2f1ae_b.jpg
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Jealous. I want a cute puppy! Barely have enough energy for a grown up puppy though. What kind are you getting?

A Chug! Always thought I’d want quite a big dog but the mother in law has one and we adore him so it’s a good start from there!

Had to look em up, they do have a bit of adorbs about them. I didn't consider how much cheaper things are with a small dog when I got Holly.
    Beds, harnesses, treats, chews, dentastix... Get a baby toothbrush for him or her, their mouths might be too small for anything else.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!