Pro Evolution Soccer 2014
  • Thought the training was quite handy myself. Not too tricky and it shows a few little tricks you can use during the game. 

Cant speak for FIFA but PES is a game that you actually can play "wrong". Maybe its not as intuitive a it needs to be (specifically with defending) but if you persist and learn the game (versus how you think it should play) its quite rewarding. For what its worth, my first game in master league on pro was a belter of a 3-2 victory with Newcastle over Leicster City. Using the master league default team. There are definitely goals in this game.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Are you telling me that I'm playing it wrong?

Been having a look over on the PESfan forums, a lot of people mentioning input lag, possibly to do with the resolution of your tv. I'm sure mine is set to 720p, but it's something else to check.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Right, how do you shoot first time? Or head the ball on goal? In my first game tonight I whipped in a wicked in swinging corner from Ben Arfa, Remy is running onto it as it's dipping so I'm smashing the shoot button but Remy chests it into the keepers arms instead of putting his bonce on it. Just now I've put a lovely early ball along the deck but two of my players just looked at it instead of trying to get something on it. It fell to the third player Gouf, who should have shot first time but instead took a touch with his left, moved it with his right then calmly slotted it into the top corner.

Something is amiss here, I just want them to have a shot not piss fart about in the box. I won my first game and I'm winning this one, but shit like this is going to cost me in the long run.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Cabaye chests it in the air on the edge of the box using the RT perfect first touch thing, it's dropping on his right peg just asking to be volleyed. He traps it then tries a shot which is closed down. Halp me please.
  • I wonder if it's a timing thing. I understand your issue as I've had it too, but yesterday, I had McCormack sling over an outswinging corner, which was met on the head perfectly by a lad called Neillander I brought in pre-season, bosh top corner. I didn't furiously hammer the shoot button, just a nicely timed prod or fluked panic push. I even had an instance of an aerial through ball being half controlled by McCormack, I gave the shoot button a single push and his next action was a volley, it went wide but anyways. If your inputting too many times, it might be the case the engine thinks 'sod that' and ignores the lot.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tapping it once was the first thing I tried, no joy. Now I'm batting away at the button, the power bar is there but they're constantly trying to bring the ball down instead of hit it. Bizarre. I could understand if they blootered it over the bar as I've hit it so many times I've filled the bar, but they just don't want to hit it first time.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Reading PESfan again, it seems to be an advanced shooting issue, which is a shame as I've enjoyed trying to place the ball where I want it.

Yet another innovation goes on the scrap heap. What a fucking game.
  • I just use the auto settings, I like to leave it up to the AI's skill set to determine how accurate they are. You are still able to influence whether they are shooting straight or towards the corner, but ultimately it's their stats that decide success. It's how I've always played PES, I influence the type/power/direction of cross, through ball, shot, pass, etc. and the stats of each player dictate how well these translate. There may be some big Billy bollocks who can devote their lives into mastering manual passing, shooting and what not, but I haven't the time or inclination, and as you say, Sparky, it doesn't look like PES2014 rewards you for doing so.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Are you telling me that I'm playing it wrong? Been having a look over on the PESfan forums, a lot of people mentioning input lag, possibly to do with the resolution of your tv. I'm sure mine is set to 720p, but it's something else to check.

Not quite saying "you" are playing it wrong but I found a run through the training pointed out somethings I was doing very wrong - specifically with defending but also with trapping the ball and making passes. If you are not making it through the training routines I would take a bit of time and make sure you are doing things correctly. There have been quite a few changes to the game since I last played and its hard to fight instinct but it does help to do it.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I don't have any bother with normal passing, trapping or defending, except when the AI decides to pull my defenders out of position for no logical reason so they can get through late in a game.

Regarding the training, the trap, shift it then shoot thing is impossible to do with any consistency, but I'll never use it in a match anyway. The through ball one will probably be a piece if piss now I've switched to the non-broken system.

Anyway I've played the game for years and years, including recent versions. I know what I'm doing, it's just that they've fucked things right up. Simple things, like when a cross is coming in and I press shoot I want my player to attempt to put the fucking ball in the back of the net with any part of his anatomy, not take two touches and try to place it. He doesn't have to score every time, just an attempt would be nice, I'd appreciate the effort.
  • ahhh, memories.....
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Good watch that, Ram, nice one.

I came in at Pro 1 on the PS2 and did 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, all PS2. PES 2008 was my last before transferring to FIFA09 and 10, took an enforced footie game break before returning with PES2014. Isn't without its flaws but I'm looking forward to next gen Pro Evo and hoping it can be as good as the series rich history deserves.
  • Against my better judgement I will be giving this another go. Postman due in about 2 weeks.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • As webbins says, its not perfect but its the first football game on the ps3 I think I've enjoyed.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I quite enjoyed PES 2009. Had some cracking matches in local play.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Demo is finally starting to click (demo 2 on ps3). Not sure how the final version differs since I assume it has patches, but my W/D/L is dead even after a few dozen games. A couple of 2-0 losses and a 3-0 win, a bullshit 1-0 loss in the 90th and a lovely equalising 1-1 comeback in the last 10 minutes.
  • Free on PS+ this month.... What a heap of shit! I got so fed up and bored through the arduous setup menus, slow datapack updates, stupid early training drills that I've switched it off before getting to a match!
    I was quite determined to try to enjoy the game too, but what a way to make a bad first impression.
    Will probably try it again later in the week, but....
  • You can get quickly into a match without bothering with the data uploads etc., at least as quick as FIFA. Make no mistake, FIFA is a fair bit slicker and overall feels more realistic. It remains my fave. But, having a good go on PES for free is a great thing; I'm particularly liking the snapshot, more arcadey goal-scoring.
  • Cheers for the heads up. Good to know what to expect when I finally get round to installing it (I.e. Don't expect to play it on night one!). 
    Did you ever sort your first time problem up there sparky? Is it not a case of holding the button down instead of hammering it?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yeah, take off manual shooting and go back to auto. Or you can leave it on manual and watch in horror as instead of heading the ball at goal, your player chests it down, takes another touch to get it of of his feet and is closed down before he can get a shot off. Bad aids.
  • Why must saving a penalty be so bloody difficult in training?! Saving 2 of 3 is a bit much to ask,I'd have much rather save x amount of kicks. :(
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • The keepers on penalties are surely broken. Often it is not merely a case of guessing the right way as even when you do, the stopper offers the limpest of wrists and the ball goes in anyway. I think I passed the training module by just saving ones straight down the middle.
  • Having to guess if you're trying to save a placed kick or a smashed attempt kind of makes sense. I understand penalties are not easy things to save and I wouldn't expect them to be in a game,it's just the requirements to pass the training that are getting to me!
  • i persevered enough to play a couple of friendlies but i can't see me playing this more, just don't like it.  same goes for the recent fifas too.  i think they've went too far down the route of trying to simulate 'everything' and forgotten the bit about a fun video game.  the classic PES's were great games that felt like football....the modern games are such an accurate simulation they feel exactly like me playing football for real now...dodgy touch, slow to react, can't do what i want to do...
  • i persevered enough to play a couple of friendlies but i can't see me playing this more, just don't like it.  same goes for the recent fifas too.  i think they've went too far down the route of trying to simulate 'everything' and forgotten the bit about a fun video game.  the classic PES's were great games that felt like football....the modern games are such an accurate simulation they feel exactly like me playing football for real now...dodgy touch, slow to react, can't do what i want to do...

I'd agree in general but do give PES a few more goes, its quite good fun once you accept some of its flaws (I know you shouldn't but if I didn't there is no football game out that I would get any fun from)

Would be nice to see a return to a slightly more arcade vibe in general from one of them though. I'd also like Konami to try to create an intuitive front end for their football games.
    SFV - reddave360
  • This game is infuriatingly dumb. AI on your own team routinely runs sabotage, running in front of your passes to cause possession loss. Any ball spills are invariably won in favour of the opposition. And full body checks are fair game for one side but never mine.

Add to that AI actively running away from the ball; or, worse, when you select a player the computer moves you away from the ball for an interception.
    AI team mates dont make a run when they should, but do when they can be guaranteed offside.

Also, dont bother playing daytime matches. Wings are impossible to see in shadows.

Game also actively stops you from shooting or passing until it makes you run through another 5 animation cycles.

edit: game deleted. What a waste of time. Controller input seems entirely optional in this piece of shit, since the game ignores 90% of it.
  • Seriously, I flipped over this last night. That said, every time I've tried fifa its the same old shit too; broken in its own special ways.
  • Officially shit. My mate was round the other night, we managed about 5 games of this and when PES is shit even for local multiplayer then it's definitely fucked.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I will probably regret this after reading the above posts, but anyone fancy a game on the 360 version? Got an hour or two spare and World Cup fever has gripped me.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Webbo and I are currently in update hell. I think I have to enter my online code thing too. Modern gaming is such a chore.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!