theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Seriously, is there anything to this other than campy kitsch?
  • It continues the mechanics of 4 and 5 but in bigger settings with more emphasis on fighting, it is a good action game hampered by a few too many QTEs.

Spectacle is mental.
  • Tempy wrote:
    It continues the mechanics of 4 and 5 but in bigger settings with more emphasis on fighting, it is a good action game hampered by a few too many QTEs. Spectacle is mental.

If it wasn't for the QTEs, I'd be all over it. I really enjoyed RE5 (please don't judge me) so if it's just batshit mental, I can handle it. How annoying are the QTEs on a scale of 1-Krauser?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Protip - when you get the rotate stick QTE, rotate both and you'll go much faster.

It's a bit like Dark Souls in that we are doing the tutorial together ISN'T IT
  • It totally is love that Japanese design ethic or if you're Tempy it's Chinese because guess wot they all the same xoxo
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy got caught out for being king racist last night
  • I've spent a lot of time today reading reviews about this game, and (shudder), the comment sections underneath them, and I really have no idea what is going on with the Press or Folks today.

People seemed to have it in for Resi 6 even before the demo. Comments boards are teeming with people going "WE KNEW IT WOULD BE SHIT" or "RETURN TO SURVIVAL HORROR ROOTS" and that kind of nonsense. None of them have played the game, and it seems none of them played 4 or 5 as survival horror went out of the window with everyone's favourite entry in the series.

Old reviews of Resi 1-3 criticised the series of the exact thing people want putting back in, and then there is the whole sanctity that has been imposed on the series, like it's always been this flawless symbol of gaming goodness? I call BS on that from the handful of spin-offs I've played, I wasn't even that huge a fan of Nemesis either.

I just don't get the unanimous panning this game is getting, we'll see if it's awful as purported time goes on, but it is certainly more fun than any CoD or Gears game that i've played, even if it is attempting to pastiche them rather heavily.

Part of me thinks this is a lot of gaming sites making up for their praise of Resi 5, which was rallied against as a real stinker, and the other half of me thinks that people are just fucking morons.

Sidenote: reading comments sections is funny. A game gets a 6 (the same as Borderlands) and the comments are full of people saying "well done for give this absolute abortion of a game the score it truly deserves". What, quite good?
  • i always avoid comments sections on anything to do with games or youtube, instant rage results
  • I find it crazy that their are so many idiots out there. Where do they all live?
  • The recurring thing about Resident Evil 6 not being scary, and this being the end of the series being scary is a load of dribbly shit. Leon's portion is easily as scary, atmospheric, violent, frightening through overwhelming crowd control, as any of the last two (and other side games naturally.) And possibly, in its different methods more than Zero, or Code Veronica. And even Chris' first chapter kind of suggests that folks are as full of shit as it regards action overwhelming everything as they are on their dismal Back To Basics calls or straight out fibs about how different this is from 4. The sound design is really, really good, especially for the enemies.

The J'avo fellows on Chris' first chapter are a fairly disturbing bunch, and the added mobility makes interacting with them even more fun than it was in 4. It does not undercut the scares / tension any more than it did in 4 and with the rather brilliant variety of locations and levels, I'd say that all in all this is far more of a Horror affair than anything since before 4. Tempy is right about everything - except some of the QTEs switching between em and action is quite good for increasing tension + weird displays of extreme violence (the Pan's Labyrinth mouth guy trying to feed you into the spinning blade is particularly nice.)

And I'd remind also that the fixed camera work, while obviously, and mostly positively borrowing from Uncharted's tricks, it feeds back into the original series in a significant way - making it look fucking pretty as fuck and forcing the hand for better scares. Plus all this money talk couldn't be worse directed at a package that at its least is one rather satisfying direct sequel to 4, as well as three other games. Folks who have liked Resident Evil as series, as well as its shift at 4, should have a damn good time. It's not something new or the revolution or fuck save us, a return to its roots. It's a Resident Evil Orange Box.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • Internet HIGH FIVE
  • And as for the War stuff, it does not feel all that like Call of Duty - certainly some Gears of War - but there is a good measure to be said for finally presenting the scope of the stuff that was supposed to be going on in the first three games. Namely the use of these big things in a war situation. It maintains enough of a hellish, horror feeling through the creature design, as well as the way enemies morph from using guns to using their mutated stuff - the butterfly + upside down shooting is a wonderful visual.
  • Someone somewhere mentioned the fact that Resident Evil can't do 'survival horror' as the fans are still clamouring for, because in 6 the whole world knows about B.O.W's, the fuckers are there and they are going to eat/maim you in vicious ways.

That doesn't mean it can't be terrifying, and the mutations provide you with unexpected scares, but the days of sneaking around a mansion to find, OMFG: ZOMBIES, is probably long gone in this timeline.
  • But the thing is... that they did that for A LONG FUCKING TIME. And there are A LOT OF THOSE FUCKING GAMES TO PLAY ALREADY. Jesus. Code Veronica was one too many for me (even though I loved the remake and enjoyed Zero.) Repetition has been this series' way of doing thing since the beginning, and personally playing with the structure of 4 has way more life in it, than going back to that bag of obtuse puzzles and honky combat.
  • One of the original games delights for me was being able to take your time with it, and enjoy the atmosphere and visuals. And in that Uncharted way, this does the same thing. Which is one reason why it is a big, big improvement over 5.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yo you guys chatting re6
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    This game has everything, including the kitchen sink!

It's like they had a brainstorming session where you stick a million post-its on the wall. Then forgot to filter any out. lol!
  • Is anyone enjoying it after not liking the demo?
  • Demo was not great. Thought it was going to be shonky, but in context it is far more assured and the combat really, really does take more than the demo to get a feel for, as each section has a different flow to it. It eases you in nicely in the game, but doesn't translate this well out of context. Sliding is a seriously boss addition, as is the Dead Rising combat.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I only played the demo last night. Liked Leon's bit. Didn't like Chris's. Indifferent towards Jake but I didn't complete it since I was tired and it felt a good deal harder than the others. Some bizarre dog like enemy stun locked me onto the floor and I couldn't get up to deal with it.
  • That chapter feels a lot better after his first one, which is dark, city based and has a lovely combination of weird creatures + folks with guns.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Jake's chapter 2 was good fun- Tempy and I going DON'T GO ON THE ICE JESUS CHRIST and hiding in bins.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Here's the thing. About 6-7 hours in now and this game is genuinely starting to push into my favourites of the year . If it actually challenges for top slot , imagine the people who will respond and haven't played the game. It's almos worth leaving it off the list to not go through that fuxking shit
  • I hear that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!