Gigs
  • You let me tickle DS's ribs without your silly pre-2000s message board labelling
  • Genre defining, that's what it is.

Saw the Oh Sees once in Manchester, about two weeks after the bombing. They included a THIRD drummer that night for some of the songs, Mike Shoun who hadn't been in the band for ages. Like to think it was a big fuck you! to the terrorists that night. 'WE NOW GOT TRIPLE THE DRUMS'
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • nick_md wrote:
    Just got my ticket to George Clinton in June, farewell tour and this is the 4th or 5th time I've seen them, always good.

Haha, same, I think - Kentish town?

3rd time for me, first time was with you, second time was, weirdly, in Leeds I think.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Yeah Kentish Town. That time with yourself was banging, never had a bad one tho. Looking forward to this, a genuine legend.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Temples were bang average.

George Clinton booked for 5th June, The Picturebooks for next week, Goldfrapp for 25th March and Black Pumas for November.

Fucking love Picturebooks.

Esit: And Goldie 8th May.
  • I might go see the Oh Sees in May.  I've watched enough live performances on Youtube but they seem like a good reason to get off my arse.  I'm too lazy with live music these days, I probably only see for gigs a year now (and one of those is always a tribute act).
  • Turn out I have got a gig lined up.  I agreed - ages ago - to take my mother in law to see Joe Brown and said I'd pay for the tickets if she ordered them.  The last time this was mentioned was over Christmas dinner.  Fast forward to today, and apparently a) the gig is today, and b) she's too sick to go.  So depending on whether or not the mates I've texted laugh at the offer of a free ticket I might be off to see the one and only JB tonight, alone, for the princely sum of £54.  

Here he is doing a Patrick Swayze number:

The worst thing is I'll probably enjoy it.  Anyone fancy being my +1 if the extra ticket doesn't get snaffled in the next few hours?  Will throw in a drink.

Edit: Location: Bromley, SE London.
  • I'd join you if I didn't just have 2 nights out in a row, I need recovery time.
  • I'm supposed to be drinking from 2pm, I'm half tempted to just stay in the pub, watch some Youtube videos when I get in and pretend I went. It's already cost me over fifty quid either way.

Plus I don't want to catch coronavirus from a roomful of elderly cockneys.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Picturebooks tonight, what a band
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Fuck me that was astounding. Incredible sound, passion and the music holy shit.

Thats two live events that have blown me away, the other was Boys Noize in Romania.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I saw General Levy, Evelyn King, Sampa the Great, Pixies and Hot Chip in that order and didn't leave the stage at Golden Plains ont weekend. All superb. Really needed a wee by the end. Also Weyes Blood earlier in the day and she covered Whiter Shade of Pale, what a voice
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Also Sleaford Mods the previous night following Stereolab, those guys are angry
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't really get the Sleaford Mods. I mean I enjoy some of their stuff but more than few tracks seems to be flogging a dead horse. There's not much reason to listen a second time either.
  • They are a different proposition live though Kow.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Really like them but agree the albums don't stand up to repeated listens.  Always love that initial listen though.  It's a bit like stand up, perhaps.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    They are a different proposition live though Kow.

The guy just presses play on his computer so I can't see how it's going to be much different. The energy I guess, but anyway...
  • I think Idles have now surpassed them for social commentary purposes though. And I think Jason knows that. Which is why he got into a needless Twitter spat with them last year.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Me brother is doing a live FB set of his Haloport stuff, have a look eh https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=166257184669266&id=689131428091909
  • Anyone planning a post-lockdown gig then? I have my mind set on a reunion with Dry Cleaning at Yes, Manchester in late October. Saw them in Liverpool at the Shipping Forecast pre-lockdown, but the stage setup there is terrible, so didn't get to actually see them.

Of course, there's no guarantee that things will be back to normal by then and the trend appears to be that bands are simply cancelling their 2020 tours completely and rescheduling for 2021 instead. But I need something to look forward to so I'm going to grab me some tickets.

Has anyone ever been to Yes, and if so, how do you rate it as a venue?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No.
  • October what year?
  • Well it's a moot point to be honest; the government has outlined a five step plan for the return of live music ( which begins with rehearsals to empty auditoriums and ends with, er...crowds watching bands presumably - but there's no timetable to any if it).

Despite the government's much lauded arts support fund providing a rescue package to the sector, I remain skeptical about how much of this will go to grassroots music venues to prevent their closure.

Whilst I swerved the madness of 'Super Saturday' I did have a couple of pints in Phase One last weekend, if only to support a live music venue that had gone through the trouble of putting together a new socially distanced beer garden to raise funds for their economic survival.

If we are to see any gigs this year, it'll probably be outside ones. I think it was Central Park in New York that recently marked out chalk circles on the ground so people could stay in their bubbles - that might work for strictly ticketed outdoor gigs in an UK park - but there is a distinct absence of such plans in my neck of the woods.

I draw the line at fucking drive-in gigs though.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Governemts are cealry morons, and when it comes to live mkusic this sin;t new news

Go follow Mark Davyd and the MVT for some real shit
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Brilliant typo.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I think there will be indoor gigs and theatre this year.
    Seating only venues with distancing and masks on. Under those conditions there isn't a lot of difference than with a cinema.
    O2, ticketmaster and the like will be turning the screws.
    Bringing Panto back will be the type of headline Bohnson tugs himself off over.

Smaller, mostly indipendent venues will still be fucked but that appears to be the pattern here.
  • Manchester's Deaf Institute and Gorilla both to close for good. Feck.
  • Sounds like the owners wanted rid and are using this as an excuse. However all is not lost as it seems like Andy Burnham is going to try and get new owners for them.

Sadly, it's not the same for the Welly Club in Hull, (Poprock will know) as their owners have gone into admin.
  • Here's one for the hive mind. FUCKING TICKETMASTER.
    I've got a ticket to see George Thorogood in Glasgow in a couple of weeks. Cost me about 50 quid iirc.
    Obviously it's not happening.
    Booked with Ticketmaster months back, and they emailed me about a month ago to inform me that it's been rescheduled more than a year from now and my ticket will be valid for the rescheduled date.
    Here's the catch. They haven't offered me a refund, and I can't see any way to claim one on their website.
    Scamming bastards are clearly planning on collecting the interest accrued over the period of a year. Me? I'd like my fecking money back, because I know I'm not even due to be in this country on the rescheduled date next summer.

Anyone had any similar experience with these feckers?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yes, exactly the same. My Nick Cave concert has been rescheduled too and there was no hint of a refund on offer. I'm hanging on to the ticket anyway but the option would have been nice, especially in these fucking times.

There's probably some highly convoluted way of getting one involving hours on a paid number talking to a machine.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!