Country Music
  • Even though the tour dates rattled along pretty quickly in the vid the 'is it going to clash with rescheduled Prine?' fear was real.
  • Shall we do top 5 Sturgill songs?

In no particular order:

You Can Have The Crown
    Long White Line
    Water in a Well
    Life of Sin
    Keep Between the Lines

Could pick an equally good 5 from many others tbh. The first three above are all timers for me.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Even though the tour dates rattled along pretty quickly in the vid the 'is it going to clash with rescheduled Prine?' fear was real.

John Prine + Special Guests...

Nah would never happen

• They're kinda chummy. Not the bookies favourite but I'm not extinguishing hope completely. Was Amanda Shires last year, she said Jason would've been there if he wasn't babysitting.
  • You Can Have the Crown
    Life of Sin
    Sea Stories
    Turtles All the Way Down
    Some Days
  • I'll end up leaning heavily towards Sailor's Guide cos that was where I got into him, but:

Some Days
    Life Of Sin
    Welcome To Earth
    Sea Stories
    Call To Arms
  • No dice with the soundbar Gav - I can play my phone through the mini speakers on the turntable but I can't push sound (technical!) from the record player to the soundbar. It's RCA cable adaptors for wired speakers though.
  • Gonna have to give Sailor's Guide another spin, it's my 3rd favourite album but hey that's some tough competition it's got.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    No dice with the soundbar Gav - I can play my phone through the mini speakers on the turntable but I can't push sound (technical!) from the record player to the soundbar. It's RCA cable adaptors for wired speakers though.

Nuts. Well maybe the soundbar has an audio in? RCA to that?
  • nick_md wrote:
    Gonna have to give Sailor's Guide another spin, it's my 3rd favourite album but hey that's some tough competition it's got.

The reason I want the horns on tour is, they're why I ever heard the great man in the first place. In my hmv we'd been spinning the album by Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings a lot, and my colleague said he'd heard that TDK were on this new country record by a dude called Sturgill Simpson. And I obviously had a soft spot for a bit of that so gave it a crack. The rest, they say..
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    No dice with the soundbar Gav - I can play my phone through the mini speakers on the turntable but I can't push sound (technical!) from the record player to the soundbar. It's RCA cable adaptors for wired speakers though.

Nuts. Well maybe the soundbar has an audio in? RCA to that?

Optical and bt only unfortunately. No drama.
  • Actually sounds like the shite goodmans BT soundbar I got last Xmas. Lasted two weeks.

Soz for the goose chase.
  • I'm fine with the novelty anyway, for £35 it was partly intended as a way to block the rabbit hole. It sounds fine in the tiny room tbh, and it'd be cheap enough to find speakers to fit if I could be bothered. If I wait long enough I'll probably find some sitting next to someone's front gate in my road.
  • South London represent
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Haha, yeah the box art did one cause problems at work when it would pop up in a tiny "what's playing" window. As far as the borrowing that goes in between artists that's huge. I recall Mark Lamarr doing a good hour of tracks that derived from "see you later alligator", of which take it easy greasy has long been a favourite
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Woke up in a whiskey haze with this on the autoplay on YouTube, never heard of him but this tiny desk is pretty damn good, reminds me of Blaze if only because of his look:

https://youtu.be/YcHL0kUFPhw

A dabble in Spotify tells me I like his accoustic more than his other stuff, but still, that TD was great.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Just because 

Listen to more Glossary and Joey Kneiser, but yeah he can't play this now as he feels that Ben fully owned it, which to be fair he did
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Oh fuck I'm down a Ben Nichols rabbithole now

Lovely bloke with it, can't wait until next time they're in country, was well chuffed he made five minutes just to let me fawn over him last time they were in town
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    ooh onto Cory now

Deceptively simple but brilliant both in voice and guitar, at least I always think I can sing along then find myself in a place I can't sing my way out of. Above is not my favourite ever songs of his, but a good insight into the man as well the music, plus nowhere for him to hide, whatta sexy guy
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I think I've made my pro-female singer songwriter feelings quite clear so can get away with this ask. Ladies really lifting a boy's track, so you're favourite backing vocals, come on, show me stuff. one of my favourite Cory songs turned me on to asking, and then immediately thought of Audra Mae on Valentine, where she steals the show a little, added Austin because he's my mate and this was Lydia on the duet

• cockbeard wrote:
    I think I've made my pro-female singer songwriter feelings quite clear so can get away with this ask. Ladies really lifting a boy's track, so you're favourite backing vocals, come on, show me stuff.

Sinead O'Connor popping in the studio and sitting on on this one works for me.  

Song does it with or without her, it's quite a delicate addition but she's there with the strings and it's all the better for it.
  • Which sort of leads me to one of my favourite things.  Men with unremarkable voices partnered with women who sound like what Zooey Deshanel looks like singing in the shower:

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Cheers for those, Sinead is subtle there but certainly adds depth, love that guys voice, need to dig deeper, just on the edge, love it

On wimminz, the Highway lasses went straight in at number one, bloody well done them, but it would be a travesty if they hadn't. Made number ten on the all genres billboard chat as well, that's amazing

edit: also fixed my GDrive so that rockabilly and prison songs are here if anyone wants to try
  • Loving the Lydia on the Lucas track up the page.
  • Pausing Cocko's Pan American journey, need a break after 15 discs.  

I put Amy Speace on the MP3 player too.  Bought two of her albums after Bugul/Chet chucked an absolute ton of recs my way many years ago but never quite clicked with either.  How to Sleep in a Stormy Boat is good though, didn't expect to hear John Fullbright (who needs to get off his arse and release a new album) on one of the tracks too. 

Doing it for me atm.
  • Been moving away from country a fair bit in here recently, so it's time for....

A Case For Kenny Rogers

H8ers Gonna H8 M8.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Pausing Cocko's Pan American journey, need a break after 15 discs

Most of us mere mortals were taking breaks so much sooner than that, you are a machine, a walking god box, intent on devouring every piece of media known to man. I'm merely jealous
  • I've been on it since Monday, mostly headphones at work but 2hrs from my Betron speakers each morning and everyone's a bit fed up with me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!