ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message

I had a little look on Youku Tudou, but first track wasn;t available so I looked for "the bottle let me down" as a better track by Merle, it wasn;t there either, but Keifer Sutherland was covering it so that was interesting
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Verdict:

Red Bandana - very good start. Feeling optimistic about the other recs.
    Dead Flowers - this is good. Very good. Very, very good.
    Pancho & Lefty - Good. If it hadn't come after Dead Flowers it'd be even better. Still like it a lot. Always a sucker for brass instrumentation. 
    Oval Room - yeah. Fine. I like Country. 

I think, upon introspection, I may like some country because I was big into the Alt-Folk movement I the UK way back when. There were quite a few British / European Americana / Country / Folk bands at that time (Broken Family Band / Herman Dune) and they were great. This is...similar, but not quite the same.
  • cockbeard wrote:
      I had a little look on Youku Tudou, but first track wasn;t available so I looked for "the bottle let me down" as a better track by Merle, it wasn;t there either, but Keifer Sutherland was covering it so that was interesting

Nae worries - Kugou and Xiami cover pretty much anything. There's also QQ music. If I have a name i can probably find it.
  • Yeah the above is more outsider / outlaw country stuff, rather than yer spangly Nashville sound (Blaze could easily be labelled 'Americana' imo for those embarrassed to use the C word).

I do like me a lot of Waylon Jennings tho (the original outlaw and the guy people say Sturgill is the second coming of), and ofc Mooty's boy John Prine.

Moot will have the best Prine recs but the go-tos are Sam Stone, Pretty Good, Fish & Whistle, That's The Way The World Goes Round, amongst others. You can't really go wrong with him.
  • I'm properly stumped with recs based on the triple threat of Bjork, Placebo and Cornelius, so I'll have a think and try to post some specifically non bland stuff this evening.  I doubt we'll convert you long term but brace yourself for the barrage.
  • Yeah, saw the outlaw country tag earlier. Think that may be my jam, mostly. 

Will research the names you posted and report back. Thanks all. If there's any more recs I'm happy to hear them.

The counter-rec for old UK alt-folk americana, that I think is what this reminds me of, would be The Broken Family Band - Welcome Home, Loser. Amazing album.
  • sdWilCV.jpg

Suave motherfucker.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm properly stumped with recs based on the triple threat of Bjork, Placebo and Cornelius, so I'll have a think and try to post some specifically non bland stuff this evening.  I doubt we'll convert you long term but brace yourself for the barrage.

Yeah, I wouldn't pay attention to previous tastes. I'm open.

If it's easier:

Herman Dune
    Emmy the great
    Broken Family Band
    St. Thomas
    Bonnie Prince Billy

All very folky.
  • Bizarrely, even though I can't listen to spotify, I can still access it and copy links:

https://open.spotify.com/album/2oShOqxPbAqfWEyL9qR3Bu

This is Broken Family Band's Welcome Home Loser.
  • Dead Flowers is a Stones track originally btw.

You listen to much Davy Graham then Mike? He's probably joint greatest there's ever been imo, tied with Blind Blake. I don't know loads about British folk but I do like Davy and Bert Jansch.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Dead Flowers is a Stones track originally btw. You listen to much Davy Graham then Mike? He's probably joint greatest there's ever been imo, tied with Blind Blake. I don't know loads about British folk but I do like Davy and Bert Jansch.

Listened to a bit long after getting to alt-folk. To be fair, that specific movement was very mid-2000s and, from my perspective, very London. All the above bands were an incestuous blob touring every small, but not that small, European venue on repeat.
  • Lord, really liking Same Trailer Different Park.
  • Well my Sturgill cd isn't due until Monday (thanks Amazon Prime, only ordered it in July), and the vinyl isn't due until the tail end of next week (not ordered on Prime, to keep it secret from Mrs. Geeza).  So I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Cocko once again for the drop yesterday, I rinsed it all day.  Thanks!
  • Lord, really liking Same Trailer Different Park.

Easily her best album for me.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Lord, really liking Same Trailer Different Park.
    Easily her best album for me.

Right? It's really fucking good. Golden hour wasn't bad but this...great stuff.
  • Production wise, maybe a little less interesting.

But lyrically and in terms of melody, this is a banger.
  • Sound & Fury spun twice. For me, it delivers. Make Art Not Friends and Mercury In Retrograde are early faves. Loving the production overall. Each of his LPs have a distinct sonic picture and this is a blazing hot alien desert planet where Waylon becomes best friends with coke and 80s yacht Rock, while QOTSA hang about offering booze and speed. Daft Punk are by the door.

Not sure how it'll feel with the anime, but it's a damn good excuse to watch something that looks shit hot anyway.
  • Aye. Golden Hour is her shimmering pop record and good luck to her, but Same Trailer was legit country hooks 'n couplets.
  • Best title change.

Onto Follow Your Arrow on STDP now. Think I've hear this before.
  • Before I was proper into country, I'd also say that despite not liking it I did like the stuff on the GTA country stations, so try checking those out too cints for a spread of styles.

Waylon's Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way? is a classic.

Special place in my heart for Waylon's Smokey On Your Front Door too, great track to play as you're just leaving somewhere on a fast stroll.
  • Someone tell the man to check Elephant by Isbell, or better yet, Moot link the man your Songs in D Minor.
  • Might be worth checking out Elephant by Jason Isbell at some point. Pure songwriting craft. There's a seriously good Sirius XM version on YouTube but the album version is also just super if you can find it. It's a sad one, but it punts mawkish in the fuck and triumphantly gives the adroit listener all the feels 4 reals.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Waylon's Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?...Smokey On Your Front Door too,
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Elephant by Jason Isbell

These were good.

Elephant was amazing.
  • Welcome, Mike. Good to have you aboard.
  • I've always liked Country. Fuck the doubters.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    As an exercise in songwriting I reckon Yvette should be on the Jason Isbell list. An audio example of the filmic matra "show, don't tell". Very minimalist, but super dark, enough stuff he doesn't say in there but very easy to see what's going on

edit: came on after the above track, included it to see Tempy on bass

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • lyrically and in terms of melody, this is a banger.

• That's the Netflix film watched then. It's.....not for me. Didn't help that the subtitles were often either a swing and a miss at the correct lyrics or a full-on 'I dunno' shrug of the shoulders from whoever typed them out. Shame. I've also got an uncomfortable level of déjà vu going on regarding the subs. Somewhere in my head I've seen Sturgill on stage discussing with the crowd how fucked up they are. If this happens at the gig I might freak out a bit.
  • I'm finding the lyrics on his album largely incomprehensible anyway tbh.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Same, for chunks of it anyway, was hoping for the official film to clear a few things up. There are a few lines in the anime that are almost certainly wrong though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!