ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    If I think back to an interview he did a couple of years ago, this album is about sin and temptation, then the next one will be about redemption
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I've had roughly ten goes around with Sound & Fury so I reckon I'm okay to run the rule now.  It's my least favourite Sturgill but it's definitely a cracking album.  It absolutely does what it does with aplomb, no major misfires here.  Funny how Simpson's secretly made a nastier Black Keys album that replicates the era when I went off the Keys, yet I'm fine with it here.  The production is remarkably good, even without the caveat of 'considering he's relatively new to the game'.   The vocals are on the fuzzy side and pushed back a bit too much for my liking, but it's a good fit for the soundscape.  I do miss his voice wrenching the songs around rather than taking a back seat in the apocalyptic jalopy though.  There aren't quite enough lines for me to hang my hat on, I do love to look forward to certain lyrical pay-offs in songs, so I've had to readjust my sights to focus on the music.  Thankfully that's easy enough to do.  Everything is beefy as fuck and I love how dirty even the shinier tracks are, plus I'm massively looking forward to seeing it live.  The country is there, it's just wearing a hazmat suit.  That's fine.  No honestly, s'all good y'all.  Listen to Make Art Not Friends and try telling me it's not the best linedancing track of the century anyway.  

Best track: Sing Along, A Good Look and Mercury in Retrograde are all bangers. 

Worst track: I can't get on with All Said and Done (nice solo though).

[8] 
  • Yeah, there's a tiny bit too much noodling for me in places, but that's just my drummer coming out. Bloody guitarists think they're so special. I've never gotten on with Pink Floyd, growing up I was apathetic, they just remind me of the old "I like PROPER MUSIC!!!" complaining fucks I served all the time in HMV, and there's a couple spots in here I feel I'm listening to them.

But that's all more on me than anything. When this album hits, it hits so hard and is an absolute triumph. Shuffling it in the car let's songs breathe on their own, and most do just fine.

Again, maybe the drummer in me is why I can't ever get away from the soul grooves of Sailor's Guide. I saw a tweet that said his discography has went from 50s to 60s to 70s and now 80s. I'm on board with that.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Surely the drummer in you appreciates that hi-hat groove on Remember to Breathe, I think his name is Miles Miller, sounds like a Kojima character, will be checking out other stuff on his credits

But yeah, it's not his best, but it's far from a mis-step, and not being that guy's best is still good company to be in. When the first teaser dropped I had a feeling it would inform the rest of the album. After all he said a year or so back that he was moving in a completely different direction so likely wouldn't be touring with the likes of Chris Stapleton. There are some good lyrics in there, buried within the swirl, and it will get further listens. Whilst Sailors pushed the boundaries of "country" this album merely pushes his own, and fair play to him for that
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yeah, I recognised a name in the credits for drums from somewhere. Turns out it's "legendary" country drummer James Gadson, not that I could list anything he's done though. Some of the production on them is incredible, would love to see the studio set up.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Oh balls, is there two drummers?? I hope yesterday I didn't tweet one drummer praising the work of the other one, I'll look a right twunt if that's the case, would be hilarious though
  • Some Americana stuff for Cinty (Yola's from Bristol tho):

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Translation for the guy who can't find YouTube 

Mary Gauthier - Drag Queens In Limosuines
    The Handsome Family - 24 Hour Store
    Amanda Shires - Charms (also add her cover of Borderline with the really good Aussie guitarist guy from me)
    Kris Kristofferson - Casey's Last Ride
    Robbie Fulks - i'll trade you money for Wine
    Yola - Faraway Look
    Orville Peck - Dead Of Night

edit : oops, I skipped ahead one person, I do that when reading, brain get's ahead of itself
  • Shit, forgot about the Youtube thing.  Thanks.  

It's got to be the Paste Studios Faraway Look though, otherwise the hairs on his neck might remain unmoved.

Edit: Kristofferson is Casey's Last Ride, Robbie Fulks is I'll Trade You Money For Wine.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not country, but wow she was exquisite, and following on form our conversation atthe pub, seems debut album was 1983

--madonna - borderline-- so of it's time, wowsers, wish I was that cool

edit: UK response to madonna, 3*7 >>>>> 1*9

yeah, definitely would, the bananas cruel summer
  • Bit of an odd request - I'm just watching the excellent* Kenny Rogers film 'Six Pack'.  In an early scene Mearle Haggard's 'Rainbow Stew' is playing.  I'd never heard this fantastic track before, but I swear I'd heard 'Rainbow Stew' name checked in some other country music song.  I just can't put my finger on what that song is though.  Don't suppose anyone can help?  Google is giving me nothing.

PS if anyone has 100 minutes to burn you can watch Six Pack here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzPzoB6wZsA

Stopping briefly in a small Texas town, an itinerant race car driver finds that his stock car, on a trailer behind his motor home, has just been quickly and expertly stripped. He chases down the miscreants, who turn out to be six orphan children. He has no recourse to the law, for the corrupt local Sheriff takes most of the proceeds of their thievery in exchange for not putting them in an orphanage. They are charming rogues, who are in turn charmed by him. Disliking their arrangement with the Sheriff, they stow away with him, and he finds himself becoming a reluctant father figure. Thanks to their enthusiasm and incredible mechanical know-how, he begins to make a name for himself on the racing circuit. But the Sheriff doesn't take kindly to losing his extra income.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Sorry, I can't help.

I'm just here to say A Good Look has grown like mad on me. Love it. Still just about cry when MANF kicks in. Brilliant.
  • I might be able to help with the song you heard it in, but I can't remember what rainbow pie actually is.  I did get an answer from somewhere online but I can't remember it.  Sorry.    

And this amazing version:

• Nope, can't seem to find an answer.  It was on a forum I think, wish my memory wasn't so fucked.  Will have another look later.
  • Madge was indeed exquisite Cocko.  Like a Prayer prob my fave track, but what a greatest hits.
  • Thanks lads.  That Guy Clark song is fantastic.  

Here's the song I was thinking of though!  B&B legend Hayes Carll's Bottle In My Hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKpnSGTy1p0
  • If we can find out what goes in the stew we might learn the contents of the pie at the same time.
  • Ashley McBryde tonight. Looking forward to this one.
  • Holy mother of fuck, she was good. Nearest comparison I can come up with is that she played like a female Springsteen. I walked in expecting craft, songwriting, and storytelling. I didn’t know she can bring the fire and brimstone blues and the blue collar rock as well. Sold out crowd and she had them in the palm of her hand from track one. I’m converted. Call me a fan.
  • Well that's an endorsement if ever I've heard one!

Glad you had a great time at the show; will have to check her out on Apple music.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    If we can find out what goes in the stew we might learn the contents of the pie at the same time.

Haven't been able to find anything with citations - but this bloke sounds plausible at least

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-rainbow-stew-recipes

"I’ve heard of Rainbow Stew only in a Merle Haggard song and a few old stories told by Okies who survived the Dust Bowl, and the Depression, back in the 30’s.  Rainbow Stew was the name they gave to whatever food they could find to put in the stew pot during hard times. True Rainbow Stew had no recipes, no list of contents and no required contents. They called it Rainbow Stew because at the time finding decent food was like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow to the folks in a Hooverville (shanty town built from what you could find locally). Quite often, you didn’t want to know what was in the stew."

Does that line up with what you remember?
  • Rings a bell maybe, odds and sods pie definitely makes sense anyway.  

I'm sticking my three McBryde belters here.  We've had them before but it's all been said and done by now, two or three times.  

Toppest:

Then a straight up brawl for second place:

• Linked a different (more recent) cover of this last week, then this popped up on my discover weekly, prefer this one I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVrkBB6kj_0
  • One of my favourite ever songs all swaggered up.  Love the Big Willie solo:

What's that, one's not enough?

Nothing but love for Waylon, Willie and Johnny, but Kris is the king of kings.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    King Kuningarsson
  • They're in Twin Peaks: The Return.  Bought the album for papa Moot to get his modern day Everly on.  It's gud.  They do a great live performance on Youtube where they go a bit Buddy, I'll dig it out in a bit.
  • Yeah was just popping in here to say the whole album sounds great, like it's been transported from the 50s, loving it.
  • Foot's a-tappin here. I didn't think we'd get any Buddy style stuff again tbh, just doesn't seem like anyone's doing it but then again I'm probably just not aware of it. Loving these guys, just finishing up the first album atm.
  • Didn't realise they've got two albums now, will have a listen to the new one. 

Also

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!