Retro Gaming
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    ... I have taken some before pics to show what I currently have.
    Excuse me while I touch myself. Talking of the 32X, I was in CEX today (picked up Rayman 2 for DC) and spotted they had an OG Mega-CD. They wanted 155 quid for it. A bit steep, but then they wanted 70 for House of the Dead on Saturn. Not exactly a rare title.

Thanks mate, hopefully it will be even nicer once I'm finished with this little project, size isn't everything ;-)

CEX are really bad now. I was given a £120 voucher last year and I went in there only to discover the second hand PS4 games are more expensive than what they are new online.

Fuck that, I gave the voucher to my nephew for Christmas.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The fact that its not recognising the cart is a good thing I think. You could have a/some bent pins on the cart reader which is causing the read issue. These can be carefully straightened check YouTube if you can see there is an issue.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    CEX are really bad now. I was given a £120 voucher last year and I went in there only to discover the second hand PS4 games are more expensive than what they are new online.

There's some bargains to be, had but I think they can be really cheeky with their prices. Your example, for um, example. They're the worst for nearly new, when the Switch came out my local had a few units and they wanted more than RRP.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I have tested my Segagaga.

It is unplayable without being able to read Japanese. The intro movie is bizarre and it looks nice on my games shelf :)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Eric wrote:
    The fact that its not recognising the cart is a good thing I think. You could have a/some bent pins on the cart reader which is causing the read issue. These can be carefully straightened check YouTube if you can see there is an issue.

I did look at them and they looked fine to me.

I'll see if there's any youtube DIY videos on the subject.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'm at a dead end with this retron5.

The pins look perfect so there's no way to know what one(s) are causing the issue.

cH9oyN0.jpg
    HQ9vqHO.jpg

I know the technique for bending them back as I've done it on an old NES in the past.

Even if I could identify the pins you can't get underneath the pins, even when taking it apart as it's connected to the PCB.

To say I'm gutted is a fucking understatement, I got so much use out of it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have tested my Segagaga.

It is unplayable without being able to read Japanese. The intro movie is bizarre and it looks nice on my games shelf :)

I used this to help me

https://www.gamefaqs.com/dreamcast/477341-segagaga/faqs/34095
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm at a dead end with this retron5. The pins look perfect so there's no way to know what one(s) are causing the issue. cH9oyN0.jpg HQ9vqHO.jpg I know the technique for bending them back as I've done it on an old NES in the past. Even if I could identify the pins you can't get underneath the pins, even when taking it apart as it's connected to the PCB. To say I'm gutted is a fucking understatement, I got so much use out of it.

Shit that's a pity. Makes me wonder about the build quality of this. How long have you had it?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Two thousand and fourteen years?! ;)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Was a good year

tumblr_mrs4fvzjJs1rrf3wyo1_500.jpg
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Who's Judas?
  • That sly cunt Kirby, I reckon.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Sold his soul for 30 Zenny.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yahtzee succinctly summarises the fifth console generation (you know, the one where Sony took over the world and Amiga thought the CD32 wasn't a bag of cat sick.)

• regmcfly wrote:

I used this to help me

Thank you Reg :)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Interesting. Even if it's more expensive to buy from Japan you know you are getting something that will be in really good condition. I don't buy enough any more for it to really make a difference though.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

I used this to help me

Thank you Reg :)

I've played through it once now, it's quite easy once you learn the basics.
  • Retro those pins look fine to me. One option is to take it into Grainger Games, they have an association with 'Tech Centre' or something like that. I got them to replace all of the capacitors on an AV receiver that I tried to do but ended up making a meal of. I think it cost about £25 which I was pretty chuffed about and they fixed it up really well with OEM parts.
  • I had never heard of Segagaga until today. Looks suitably mental. I assume it only got a Japan release because literally no other market would go for it.
  • Okay, have been playing about with md, snes and mame on android emulators outputting over chromecast to a modern tv. It's a blast to see old games upscaled on the big screen;  the audiovisual quality is solid especially with postprocessing on like HQ2x . It's the lag that kills it but otherwise a promising way to revisit retro games. Google needs to update the chromecast to reduce lag and make android more 'gaming' friendly. They are so close to a Switch like plug and play solution yet so far. Get to it google!

The reduced latency could also improve other experiences like desktop casting to a 2nd screen. Could be handy in productive scenario's.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • One for Gamecube fans:

https://youtu.be/XUks9-jW9xw
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • If you have a TV that has component input, it would be easier, and cheaper to just get a Wii and any component cables for it.

Unless you really want to use the Game Boy Player.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Shit. I need that hdmi adaptor
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah. The Wii's component output is criticised as not being as good as the GC's but in reality I'm happy enough using the Wii with component. I also use my GC with RGB SCART on a CRT and the image is great that way.
  • That is a nice bit of kit. I ended up buying an American Wii to play my NTSC GC games via component in the end, but having to go through the wii menu first with a wii controller is a bit of a faff so I'd go for one of those as its a pretty elegant solution.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Playing some Winter Heat on the Sega Saturn this week. Have had it for ages but never spent a lot of time with. It's a sequel to Athlete Kings / Decathlete so is a button basher but some of the events are more technical - though the digital direction control for the likes of the downhill and bobsleigh show their age. It's a late game so graphically it looks pretty good though I think its pushing the console's 3D abilities as you get some untidy twitches at times - but that's par for the era. 

The simple fact that it stores 5 best times/distances is enough for me bash away at it. It was an arcade game so it has that Sega panache.

4 player support which is always a good thing but never had an opportunity to play it that way.

• Never bought that one, considered it a few times.  Athlete Kings gets my vote for the best olympics/button basher, pretty much all the events had merit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I prefer Athlete Kings to this but it's a nice companion piece. The events are a bit uneven in Winter Heat but that's because they added another 3 events for the Saturn port. 

They added the skeleton which is a twitchier version of the bobsleigh. The snowboard downhill is is nice variant as it has gates and acts as a giant slalom event. There's an aerial stunt event but it isn't very deep (actually it isn't deep at all). There's an arcade mode with the 8 original events , an 11 event mode and a custom mode that lets you pick the events.

The button bashing events are real killers though - the short track speed skating is a long sprint and the slalom is like doing a 300m hurdles (!).

I have the PAL version but on the lookout for the JP version which has Jeff Janson from Athlete Kings as an unlockable :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!