regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Put down my name for a request for a unit. We shall see when it arrives. In the meantime, time to build up the collection. I forgot I severely trimmed it in the last purge. Turns out Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe are on the PS2, which feels wrong.
    I appear to also be missing resi 2. I think I sold it as it was fetching good cash. Here's what I've got.

1YdTWYM.jpg
  • davyK wrote:
    Check out Beach Spikers for GC. Think it was an exclusive. Sparkly sega arcade.

That's a fun game :)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • It's a great game, 4 player joy as is Sega slam soccer. The GC Virtua Striker is also definitive. Also Marvel Vs Snk 2, bit shit with the stardard pad but a good excuse to get the spesh Hori pad!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Mario Soccer game is excellent too - it's a real departure from the Tennis, Golf and Baseball games. It has a gritty look and feel and is actually quite brutal. Another 4 player one too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The Mario Striker games are superb, such a shame there's only been two.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    WarioWorld is a nice little game from Treasure.  And Pacman Vs if you have tried it or its equivalent on Wii U.

If you are investing in that HDMI adaptor then it might worth investing in some imports - the Freeloader disc is easy to use for these.  Kururin Squash is quite lovely. If you fancy a shooting game then of course there's Ikaruga (PAL version is butchered)- but also Castle Shikigami 2 and Super Star Soldier.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was watching a streamed youtube discussion broadcast last night and some guy mentioned he'd love to have seen a Dreamcast 2.

I posted that Gamecube was DC 2 - but the host and a few others stated that OldBox was a better candidate for DC 2.

Hadn't thought of that - as far as I'm aware Oldbox got a lot of DC ports but that would hardly constitute the spirit of a DC2  - would it?

GC was more in the sprit with its local multiplayer focus much the same way the DC had. Its version of Monkey Ball was superior too - which would be considered a DC2 game. It also got the likes of Beach Spikers as an exclusive. Did Oldbox get any that GC and PS2 didn't?

Any opinion?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Oldbox is a good punt for Dreamcast 2 - it got Shenmue II, after all. AFAIK it's the only machine that did, other than DC o'course. And the Oldbox had an online focus that other machines lacked until the PS360 era. There's also the similarities between the Xbox and Dreamcast pads - both were big-n-chunky, almost circular affairs with dual memory card slots. Finally, both the OG Xbox and Dreamcast ran variants of Windows. I still reckon if the Dreamcast had done better, we may never have seen the Xbox, as Microsoft would have found their way into the market without having to build their own brand and hardware.

GameCube definitely shares the accessible, arcadey, local multiplayer spirit of the 'cast, though.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Oh, and OG Xbox got Panzer Dragoon Orta. That only came out in 2002, and DC was discontinued in 2001. It's not too much of a stretch to imagine that it'd have come out on DC if the console had sold better.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    yeah - PD Orta would be nice to try.

Monkey Ball probably would have been a DC game too if it had lasted long enough.
  • SEGA released quite a few exclusives on the Xbox, you mention Panzer Dragoon Orta but there was Gun Valkarie (rock hard 3rd person shooter), Crazy Taxi 3, Jet Set Radio future and Sega GT off the top of my head.
  • There were loads more looking at it: ToeJam and Earl 3, House of the Dead 3, Head Hunter Redemption and Spikeout.

SAUCE: http://segaretro.org/Xbox
  • Headhunter Redemption was also on PS2, I think.  Seem to remember the box in GAME, but never played it.
  • Sega and MS were in talks to make Oldbox able to play Dreamcast games. The deal fell through as Sega still wanted their games online, but MS weren't willing to.
  • Sega games have always felt more at home on Nintendo than the others for me.

Maybe it's an age thing? It's all subjective but let's be honest, despite their first 3rd party game (Crazy Taxi), Sony definitely feels the least homely.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It seems Oldbox definitely got the support from Sega then. I didn't know that.

I never got an Oldbox because I could never see anything on it I wanted apart from PD Orta and Outrun C2C. Got Outrun on PS2 so it made getting an Oldbox hard to justify.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    If anyone is selling Odama let me know. I saw £30 in cex with mic today so if I can't beat that I'll die.
  • Sega draped themselves across all three suitors during that era (with Shinobi, Virtua Fighter 4, Billy Hatcher, F-Zero GX etc.).  Microsoft had done most of the heavy petting, but would've had to pull out the stops for monogamy, so they blew that for a game of soldiers, nipped out to the bins and then off to Gretna with Rare.  After that, Sega's sparkle dimmed and they returned every night wearing all their jewellery at once.  THE END.
  • Pretty much bang on there... unfortunately.

Outrun 2 is one of the best racing games ever though, played it a couple of weeks back on the PSP, it's still brilliant.

Sega still made great games that gen. Like Nintendo, Capcom and Konami their games had a certainly feel and look about them.

You knew when you was playing a game from one of those. Such a loss that two of them are now complete shadows of their former selves.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Sega and MS were in talks to make Oldbox able to play Dreamcast games. The deal fell through as Sega still wanted their games online, but MS weren't willing to.

Now that, I didn't know. Interesting.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have been rinsing Sega Rally on Saturn today. Great old game this.
  • It is, still feels great.

Pretty sure I've got that on Steam in one of those Sega bundles.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Played loads of that in the arcade over the past year or so, it's the only game I'll play every time I visit the Four Quarters, which has had it since they opened.  Closest I've got to the Lakeside course is maybe 1.5 seconds away though, I'm shit at the arcade one.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've had the game for years but never put much time into it. After a couple of hours of practicing in TT mode I've been able to finish 2nd or 3rd in the championship mode. Not good enough to unlock the lakeside track yet. Enjoying it. 

I've the JP and PAL versions but the PAL version is a really good port. Slightly smaller image but apart from that it feels the same and I'm getting similar times on both versions.

The control is what's most impressive - probably due to the consistent frame rate. I've tried it with analogue and digital and both feel really good.

I suppose it suffers from Sega-arcade-itis and is light on content. But when it's this well done it is hard to criticise. Designing quality tracks like this takes time. One great track is worth several OK ones.
  • Ah right, if you need to finish 1st to unlock Lakeside I wasn't 1.5 seconds off at all, just nearly managed to get through the main checkpoints then.  The lass who works in there can smash it without breaking a sweat, including the bonus course.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Think that's what you need to do - I can finish the 3 courses without any trouble now. There's a 3 lap per circuit option in the Saturn version which may be more difficult. Haven't tried that. I assume the arcade machine is single lap per track.
  • Listening to the Retronauts podcast and there's an interview with Tetsuya Mizuguchi.

In 1992 Sega were working on a table mounted VR/AR Game Gear. It sounds a little like Virtual Boy, but would have been in colour.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    In 1992 Sega were working on a table mounted VR/AR Game Gear. It sounds a little like Virtual Boy, but would have been in colour.

Neat. I'm betting it got cancelled either a) after the Virtual Boy came out and crashed and burned worse than the Hindenburg or b) after they tested the prototype and it caused profuse vomiting.
  • Could anyone here help me with a NES and SNES not powering up please?

I have two AC adapters and both power up the consoles but temporarily.

If it works ok once I unplug it and reinsert to try again it doesn't always work.

Sometimes they power up but more often than not they won't.

There's doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

Had them since 1988 and 1992 and they've been well looked after, I have no idea what's happened.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It'll be the adaptors I reckon.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!