Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yeah I can't be arsed unfortunately, I think I'll just bin them. Thanks anyway.

Yeah, even if you can be arsed, those are probably the most sought-after parts on the retro scene, because their failure rate's so high these days. Commodore bricks are becoming rare.
  • Escape wrote:
    Yeah I can't be arsed unfortunately, I think I'll just bin them. Thanks anyway.

Yeah, even if you can be arsed, those are probably the most sought-after parts on the retro scene, because their failure rate's so high these days. Commodore bricks are becoming rare.

Chilloutgames take them faulty for 21p, I might wait until I sell them more stuff again and bundle them in.

Hopefully they repair them and keep them alive.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    You'd think that that was a cottage industry by now, but lots of retro collectors are also electronics hobbyists. It was maybe around the 32-bit era when people lost interest, save fitting modchips to PS1s.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    I thought Tetris64 got a PAL release...?

PAL got New Tetris which is a different game. Tetris 64 is by Seta and was definitely under the radar as it was an early JP only release. I actually think it's the better game. Has 4 player support and a pile of modes and options.

Oh, I see. Neat. :)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Whats your N64 collection looking like mate? You got mainly PAL or plenty of NTSC-J ready to go? I take it you plan to go fully Japanese going forward?

Listed my imports earlier.. but on PAL (all CIB) I have:-

Bust-a-Move 2
    Doom64
    F-Zero X
    Mystical Ninja 2
    Killer Instinct Gold
    Mario Tennis
    Mischief Makers
    Mortal Kombat 4
    New Tetris
    Pilotwings 64
    Pokemon Puzzle League
    Robotron 64
    South Park : Chef's Luv Shack
    Mario 64
    Tetrisphere
    Wetrix
    Yoshi's Story

My PAL N64 collection got a bit of clobber when I had my big clearout 18 months ago. It's half the size it was. I don't really regret it though - I think I have a nice tight balanced collection I will actually play.

Of them all, Mystical Ninja 2 in PAL is probably the most valuable - and if it didn't get a US release then I would hold onto it and enjoy the humour in the text. The rest I'll probably move to NTSC - JP or US depending on amount of text and cost.

The South Park game is a guilty pleasure - but the N64 version is king because of zero loading. It's actually a fun if short lived multi-player game.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

• The disclaimer on that is fabulous

"If this sets your snes on fire, don't come to us"
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    World Warrior?!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That SNES cart looks the business. Love the disclaimer.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I'm guessing they set their test SNES on fire and the lawyers got nervous.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Unexplained fires are a matter for the carts.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I appreciate that scape
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    RGB SCART N64 arrived today.

Using my official PAL GC cable with it on my CRT and this makes a hell of a difference - even to those games I thought looked ok on LCD.

Excitebike looks a lot better as does F-Zero X.

It cleans up the early games like Waverace and MK quite a bit too. Waverace looks pretty good now. MK is always going to be hampered with the scaling sprites on the racers so this is probably as good as it gets. Excellent stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just trialled the rest of my imports...Wetrix, Yoshi's Story and S&P look simply gorgeous. At least as good as VC games on Wii with component. The combo of RGB SCART and a decent CRT really makes the most of this console.
  • RGB scart was the best output you could get in the pre HDMI era.
    Did wonders for 16 bit consoles as well. NTSC full screen 60Hz in crystal clear rgb.
    Beat svhs by a mile.

The yanks missed out on that one back in the days despite their hw supporting it.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm actually stunned the N64 can look this good. I like the console but always wrote it off re getting a crisp image. I got it from an eBay seller called keepitretro.

Wonderful job.

I will definitely be trading my PAL games for NTSC versions when I can get a good deal.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Here's a video of me playing Wetrix on the RGB SCART N64.

Recorded ghetto style and of course this doesn't do it justice - it looks better than this in reality but it will give you an idea. I think the image is a tad darker with the mod. I'll need to compare with my PAL console to see the difference. No big deal as I can always adjust the brightness.  You will hear the fan on my PC going sometimes - who knows what Windows 10 decides to do at random on my aging PC!

• its a cracking game
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Can I have some suggestions for very, very easy co-op titles up to and including the 16-bit era please.  Arcade suggestions welcome too.  Got a second pad for my Raspberry Pi (MD 6-button imitation @yossarian, it's a bit ehhh but fine I suppose), and my daughter is picking her skills up nicely.  We're up to Hilltop Zone on Sonic 2 with me helping out as Tails.
  • Obviously Gunstar Heroes!
    Edit:
    Sunset riders
    Golden Axe
    Streets of Rage
    Rampage

Probably only Rampage is easily playable by a child mind.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Chip N Dale on NES.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Are any of the older Kirby games co-op? Epic Yarn would have been ideal.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I've managed to lose access to the two games she'd enjoy the most (3D World she'd love, and I'm sure Epic Yarn would be a hit).  Not sure if any older entries are co-op.

Golden Axe, Chip 'n Dale, SOR and Rampage could be doable.  Gunstar and Sunset would be a bit much with the directional shooting, she only hit 3 a few weeks ago :)

She bossed half of Rime too (with me solving puzzles) and almost all of Journey, so she's also getting a modern education.
  • See how she is at Super Spike V'Ball ;-)
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Any beat em up is a good shout tbh, the Turtles games on 8/16Bit?

Simpsons arcade on your Raspberry Pi?

How about racers? Worth seeing if she clicks with Micro Machines, RC Pro AM etc.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kirby Super Star for SNES. It's a mini-compilation of sorts and a lot of the games in it have 2 player co-op. Being Kirby it will be easy enough.

DKC 1 has a co-op/team mode that lets you "tag team" while in a level.

SMB3 is actually not a bad shout in 2 player mode as you take turns and clear levels on the same world map. World 1 wouldn't be too much of a stretch - though the airship level might be a bit tough - you never know though.

2 player Balloon Fight on NES is a bit of a laugh too. It's essentially Joust but far more accessible and fun - and it has that co-op feel until you get to the bonus levels and then its balloon collecting has greed setting in.
  • Might also be worth going back to basics, Pac-Man, Space Invaders etc.

edit: thinking about it they might be basic but they're quite hard tbf.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I've seen adults muddled with the left and right Micro Machines, I don't think she's ready for that yet.  2D Mario games are too hard for her too atm, although she's not too bad at SMB2.  I'll try her on Donkey Kong Country, reckon that'll be good for a few stages.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some people just don't get the steering in Micro Machines. It's like people who have to have up/down reversed when controlling sights with a stick.

First batch of levels in DKC would be manageable I reckon esp. if you can take over at a tricky section using the tag move.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!