ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Feel the need to defend the MegaCD, there were some really good 2d platformers on that machine
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It's fascinating to see what modern hands and eyes can do with old hardware, and precisely why I immediately lost interest in Grand Theftendo when it left the NES.
  • Aye, gta was originally a 2.5d top down shooter so totally feasible on the nes. A bit like how nintendo develops zelda games by implementing gameplay mechanics in a 2d 8bit engine first. It' weird how they manage to cram complex gameplay into 8bit 2d.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    It's fascinating to see what modern hands and eyes can do with old hardware, and precisely why I immediately lost interest in Grand Theftendo when it left the NES.

Is this sarcy or am vice city a crime now
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I first found gaming again as an adult by modding the shit out of GTA on the PC, adding my own cars initially, then downloading missions and patches, was great fun
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Lets not forget the Mega CD had the definitive version of Eternal Champions as well.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Escape wrote:
    Is this sarcy or am vice city a crime now

Genuine interest to see how close the NES came to maximising its potential. Was it truly hardware power that capped its programmers' ambitions, or a lack of imagination. The van bits in Turtles were, in retrospect, very GTA. Led by hardware advancement since, we know how much deeper and more involved games can be, so it's fun to wonder if most of those programmers came up short through a lack of insight into the future capacity of gameworlds.

Shaun Southern's Kikstart II's a great example of modern thinking, with its two-player mode and course creator. If you remade Trials HD in 8-bit, that's exactly what you'd get. Treasure Island on the Commodore was one of the first openworld games, and so on.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Feel the need to defend the MegaCD, there were some really good 2d platformers on that machine

But was some good platformers enough to justify the cost? The MegaCD does get a bad rap, but it's not entirely unjustified.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • MegaCd had some wonderful titles.
    Final fight cd, Shining Force cd, Ecco cd, Earthworm Jim cd and eternal champions cd.

But when it comes down to it all that 16-bit era cd added was grainy low res fmv and redbook audio ost. Fmv games are not the best games of the era.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yup. Like the 32X, really. It had the best console version of DOOM, but did that justify the add-on?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Just because it was my first version of DOOM, yes. But then a couple of years later the PlayStation port was, and remains, the best.

Ground Zero: Texas, though. Road Avenger. But I preferred...

To the CD's version.
  • The 32X was even worse than the mega cd.
    An expensive stop gap that was almost as expensive as true next gen hardware. Unwieldy, ugly and underpowered too. Bled Sega financially dry in the end.

To be fair Ecco cd had one of the most amazing ambient soundtracks of the era.
    Like the cart version it was bastard hard.

Final fight cd ost was so good Capcom reused quite a few of the arrangements for Streetfighter Alpha.

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    No but the cost was somewhat mitigated by the ability to play CDs, when yo uthink about how much a cd player cost back then. But true the improvement over standard 16bit was nowhere near worth it. But some of those huge sprites and decent soundtracks are nice to revisit nowadays (or at least they were ten years ago, not so sure now)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Those Frankenstein MD add-ons were money pits into which Sega pissed themselves whilst indulging in managerial infighting. Because of that, and because I have no experience of them, I pretty much despise them.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not sure if this is the right place. I have had ShmupMAME running with a decent sized romset. Have just grabbed a much bigger one with stuff from allsorts of consoles. Can I just drop it into the ROM folder of ShmupMAME or do I need a console specific MAME?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm running some old non shooter stuff like Wardner on shmupMAME. They are arcade ROMs though. If you are talking console ROMs you might need a modern build. ShmupMAME is based on an older version.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I'm running some old non shooter stuff like Wardner on shmupMAME. They are arcade ROMs though. If you are talking console ROMs you might need a modern build. ShmupMAME is based on an older version.

Cheers Davy, reckon I'll leave that all there as it works for what I want then look for an all in one jobbie that'll do all the systems and has a frontend I can navigate
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The latest version of MAME appears to have gobbled up all the console specific ones. I think I had it running atari 7800 ROMs a while back.
  • That Sega tower is awesome. I bet if you turn it on it will blow a fuse in the house.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Those Frankenstein MD add-ons were money pits into which Sega pissed themselves whilst indulging in managerial infighting.

Yeah. IIRC, the 32X was Sega of America's baby, while the Saturn project was Sega of Japan's. A classic case of the right hand not knowing what the left was doing. Neither side would back down so they ended up doing both. I also remember reading another story that the innards for the Saturn were decided by a high-up in Sega of Japan during a game of golf with a hardware manufacturing exec. The hardware division at Sega basically got told "this is what's going to be inside, make it work, bitches". Possibly apocryphal, but sounds like a plausible explanation for the Saturn's infamously bat-shit insane architecture.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    That Sega tower is awesome. I bet if you turn it on it will blow a fuse in the house.

The Leaning Tower of SEGA.
  • SoJ should've bitch slapped SoA to get them back in line. The 32X was a fatal mistake and the beginning of the end.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Random gubbins discovered via Wikipedia:

- The Famicom Disk System could be run via a power cable or using AA batteries. The latter option was implemented because Nintendo realised that the standard 'two plug holes' power outlet would probably already be occupied by the Famicom and the TV.

- Nintendo were still making new FDS units until 2003.

- Famicom Disk System-esque functionality of being able to load games onto a blank cart at a kiosk in a store was also available for the Super Famicom and GameBoy via the Nintendo Power cartridges.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Those Frankenstein MD add-ons were money pits into which Sega pissed themselves whilst indulging in managerial infighting.

Yeah. IIRC, the 32X was Sega of America's baby, while the Saturn project was Sega of Japan's. A classic case of the right hand not knowing what the left was doing. Neither side would back down so they ended up doing both.

Yeah I've read about this over the years, it's absolutely bonkers when you think about it.

Sega of America didn't want to kill off the Genesis so they made the 32X to prolong it's life, a rare case of them definitely doing the wrong thing.

Think about this... the 32X came out AFTER the Saturn in Japan. Madness.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Had they just gone straight from Mega Drive to Saturn with no silly add-ons in between they might not have collapsed.

Though I did have a lot of fun with Virtua Racing, Doom, and Star Wars on 32X, along with a Mech Warrior rip off called Metal Head (I think?).
  • Had they just gone straight from Mega Drive to Saturn with no silly add-ons in between they might not have collapsed.

I like to think so, I reckon they even got away with the Mega CD. It wasn't a success but it served it's purpose, had a lot of good games as wasn't a complete sales stinker.

The 32X should never have happened though, shocking decision.

If they'd gone all out with the Saturn it could have definitely done better.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Had they just gone straight from Mega Drive to Saturn with no silly add-ons in between they might not have collapsed. Though I did have a lot of fun with Virtua Racing, Doom, and Star Wars on 32X, along with a Mech Warrior rip off called Metal Head (I think?).

I had Metal Head.  It's hideous now, one of the stages runs at maybe 4fps, but at the time texture mapping was the most important thing in my world.  Was a good example of a team at least trying to do something to warrant the add-on.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I've read about this over the years, it's absolutely bonkers when you think about it.

Think about this... the 32X came out AFTER the Saturn in Japan. Madness.

I didn't realise that, must have seemed bizarre to Japanese gamers at the time.

Playing the historical What If game, maybe if there'd been no 32X, a clearer vision with the Saturn coupled with a $299 price tag, we might still have SEGA hardware today.

Maybe.
  • Shouldn't have dropped the game gear. It wasn't bad and the TV tuner was clever. Just lost their bottle like Atari.

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!