Retro Gaming
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just for the sake of - up to date pictures of my beloved Saturn collection. It's smaller nowadays since I  offloaded most of my PAL games as part of a clearout 18 months ago, but it's all the better for it as it's now more attuned to my tastes.

saturnImports1.JPG
    saturnImports2.JPG
    saturnImports3.JPG
    saturnPAL1.JPG
    saturnPAL2.JPG
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    I've read about this over the years, it's absolutely bonkers when you think about it.

Think about this... the 32X came out AFTER the Saturn in Japan. Madness.

I didn't realise that, must have seemed bizarre to Japanese gamers at the time.

Playing the historical What If game, maybe if there'd been no 32X, a clearer vision with the Saturn coupled with a $299 price tag, we might still have SEGA hardware today.

Maybe.

The Mega Drive barely registered in Japan, so it's not a complete surprise the 32X released late there.

I have sympathy with Sega over the price comparison between Saturn and Playstation. In the US the Saturn was $399 with Virtua Fighter and inbuilt memory. The PS was $299, but a game and memory card would add about $70-80 perhaps.

I've read and watched too much about Sega's fall, and it's depressing, and pretty obvious in hindsight where they went wrong, but you can also understand some of the decisions.

They did pretty much everything right with Dreamcast though, just couldn't match Sony's manipulation of PS2's supposed abilities.

And yes. I'm still bitter ;)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK wrote:
    Just for the sake of - up to date pictures of my beloved Saturn collection. It's smaller nowadays since I  offloaded most of my PAL games as part of a clearout 18 months ago, but it's all the better for it as it's now more attuned to my tastes.

saturnImports1.JPG
    saturnImports2.JPG
    saturnImports3.JPG
    saturnPAL1.JPG
    saturnPAL2.JPG

• Sorry Davy, phone wouldn't let me quote and comment.

I just wanted to say it's a lovely collection.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Can I have some suggestions for very, very easy co-op titles up to and including the 16-bit era please.  Arcade suggestions welcome too.  Got a second pad for my Raspberry Pi (MD 6-button imitation @yossarian, it's a bit ehhh but fine I suppose), and my daughter is picking her skills up nicely.  We're up to Hilltop Zone on Sonic 2 with me helping out as Tails.

Did anyone suggest gyromite on nes?
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Those Frankenstein MD add-ons were money pits into which Sega pissed themselves whilst indulging in managerial infighting.

Yeah. IIRC, the 32X was Sega of America's baby, while the Saturn project was Sega of Japan's. A classic case of the right hand not knowing what the left was doing. Neither side would back down so they ended up doing both. I also remember reading another story that the innards for the Saturn were decided by a high-up in Sega of Japan during a game of golf with a hardware manufacturing exec. The hardware division at Sega basically got told "this is what's going to be inside, make it work, bitches". Possibly apocryphal, but sounds like a plausible explanation for the Saturn's infamously bat-shit insane architecture.

I saw another story where sega of America were first approached by silicon graphics to power their next console. Sega Japan hardware guys dissed the processor and then again after silicon graphics improved their chip based on criticism, were dissed again. They realised they were getting the run around and then made the innards for the n64 (possibly at the suggestion of sega America head honcho)
  • That super play mag bonus "retro gamer" had some real shade on mega drive this month. Apparently the mega drive couldn't do a game gear "super game boy" because the mega drive could only display 512 colours compared to the game gear's 4000 odd.
  • That super play mag bonus "retro gamer" had some real shade on mega drive this month. Apparently the mega drive couldn't do a game gear "super game boy" because the mega drive could only display 512 colours compared to the game gear's 4000 odd.

The Mega Drive did only have a colour palette of 512 colours (displaying 64 at once iirc). No idea if that's true of Game Gear though, doesn't sound right to me.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Can I have some suggestions for very, very easy co-op titles up to and including the 16-bit era please.  Arcade suggestions welcome too.  Got a second pad for my Raspberry Pi (MD 6-button imitation @yossarian, it's a bit ehhh but fine I suppose), and my daughter is picking her skills up nicely.  We're up to Hilltop Zone on Sonic 2 with me helping out as Tails.
    Did anyone suggest gyromite on nes?

They didn't.  I think that's one of the games I've played with R.O.B, pretty sure I enjoyed it.
  • Watching a R.O.B video now.  Ridiculous yet amazing curio.

The Mega Drive did only have a colour palette of 512 colours (displaying 64 at once iirc). No idea if that's true of Game Gear though, doesn't sound right to me.

The screen could display those colours because of the TV tuner, pretty certain it's colours for games would have been in line with other 8-Bit systems.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Gamegear was a handheld master system running at lower resolution and clockspeed.
    So yeah, palette and colors displayed were probably the same as that's dictated by the hw.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Looked at a little thing this morning didn't seem like GG had more colours than MD

But I'm no pro

http://segaretro.org/Palette
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Yup. Like the 32X, really. It had the best console version of DOOM, but did that justify the add-on?

Speaking of Doom...

https://youtu.be/784MUbDoLjQ
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I had 32X DOOM, also my first experience of it.  Had no Cyberdemon, iirc no BFG without a cheat involving the mode button on a 6-button pad (which I broke in A STROP, so I never saw it), chunkyish borders and enemies always faced forward, but it was smooth and played well.
  • Trufax: I used the shotgun sound for my A-level media film after the replica handgun we borrowed refused to fire in the actual take (a scene where I got shot in the head and bundled in the trunk of a car, high angle shot from the roof of a handily parked caravan).  So it was DOOMBOOM, bundle, cut to black with boot slam, True Playaz Anthem by DJ Hype and credits.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Interesting video - pity Carmack didn't cut the developers some slack on the Saturn version - they had it running at 60FPS before he blocked the project because of texture warping.  :(
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    The Mega Drive barely registered in Japan, so it's not a complete surprise the 32X released late there.

Hold the phone, this is news to me. I thought the general gist of the situation in Japan was Mega Drive monstered it early on, but SNES played the long game, and by the time the next generation came out, SNES was the bigger seller, but only fractionally. I know that the Master System equivalents didn't do super well in Japan, though. Wasn't it also mostly PlayStation vs Saturn (with the former winning by a country mile), as the Japanese weren't that enthralled with the N64?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mega Drive was biggest in USA I thought, due to the In Yo Face attitude of the 90s ad team.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Mega Drive was biggest in USA I thought, due to the In Yo Face attitude of the 90s ad team.

That was my understanding of the US situation, too.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Europe:
    MD - 8.39M
    SNES 8.15M

PS - 36.91M
    N64 - 6.35M
    Sat - 1.12M

NA:
    SNES - 22.88M
    GEN - 16.98M
    TG16- 1.7M

PS - 38.94M
    N64 - 20.11M
    Sat - 1.83M

JPN:
    SFC - 17.17M
    PCE - 3.9M
    MD - 3.58M

PS - 19.36M
    Sat - 5.80M
    N64 - 5.54M
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • A couple of random facts:

PS4 still hasn't outsold the N64 in Japan and it's been out for close to 4 years. By 2000 the N64 wasn't selling much over there so their sell rate isn't a million miles apart. Of course it will beat it but I think it's a good example of how much the Japanese market has moved away from home consoles.

There was a year or two between 1987-89 where the PC Engine was Japan's top selling console, beating out the ageing Famicom before the arrival of the SFC.

The Saturn led the PlayStation for quite some time in Japan, it had a really strong start. The PlayStation was actually a slow burner, it didn't really explode on a global scale until 1997. N64s lack of an arcade fighter in an era when they meant so much damaged it quite significantly in Japan.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Saturn in JP wasn't the disaster it was in the West. It did OK. The JP Saturn library is incredibly strong and varied.

I was under the impression that SNES v MD was more or less equal globally at the end of that gen but it seems SNES left the others for dead on Japan and there was daylight between them in the US too. Impressive.
  • Here's that PlayStation 1997 explosion:

CE0V3c-UUAEa4bK.jpg:large
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • MS VS NES in France:

Master System France
    1988: 10.000
    1989: 29.000
    1990: 140.000
    1991: 375.000
    1992: 235.000
    1993: 181.000

Total: 970.000

NES France
    1988: 33.000
    1989: 89.000
    1990: 327.000
    1991: 697.000
    1992: 436.000
    1993: 206.000

Total: 1.788.000

http://www.mastersystem-france.com/t...e-20-ans-apres
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK wrote:
    I was under the impression that SNES v MD was more or less equal globally at the end of that gen but it seems SNES left the others for dead on Japan and there was daylight between them in the US too. Impressive.
    KxRXdti.png
    DGhmI4D.png
    b9Br4QO.png

The last chart isn't broken down unfortunately but basically the SNES lead in NA is offset somewhat by the Mega Drives in Europe.

This data also finishes in 96, the SNES had a much longer tail.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Good stuff from Mr. R. King, there.
    This data also finishes in 96, the SNES had a much longer tail.

Probably because the SNES was the SNES, while the Mega Drive was... a thousand bits of hardware. That and Nintendo had to release something while they got the N64 ready.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    N64s lack of an arcade fighter in an era when they meant so much damaged it quite significantly in Japan.

Thought it was more to do with lack of Final Fantasy, and Japan being slower to take to 3D games than the West?
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    N64s lack of an arcade fighter in an era when they meant so much damaged it quite significantly in Japan.

Thought it was more to do with lack of Final Fantasy, and Japan being slower to take to 3D games than the West?

The FF blow was a few years into the gen, I was referring more to the early years when Tekken and VF were the huge games on PS/Sat.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!