Retro Gaming
  • Speaking of music, also have to give a shoutout to Castlevania soundtracks.
    The compositions of 1-3 were okay but 4 was just amazing. The audio arguably impressed more than the visuals. Bloodlines was okayish, SotN is just classic.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Another GFX one - seeing this in the arcade as a kid:

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Speaking of music, also have to give a shoutout to Castlevania soundtracks. The compositions of 1-3 were okay but 4 was just amazing. The audio arguably impressed more than the visuals. Bloodlines was okayish, SotN is just classic.

IV is simply magnificent. I have bought a double vinyl LP of its soundtrack. Probably the nerdiest thing I have ever bought.

I also adore the Parodius series soundtracks. Back when they were contemporary games in particular they had a big impact -  I had heard nothing quite like them
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Castlevania is best.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Osts -

Mario World's variations in one theme is pretty much peerless
    Streets of Rage is an average game without its all timer OST
    Starwing is a better ost than game too
  • F-Zero is a great game and has a great soundtrack.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Aye mario's ost is often overlooked. Smw banjo inspired tracks are classic.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • The Super Mario theme is so recognisable for good reason, classic stuff.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    For me it and Dark are the purest Tekmans

Hmm, provisionally:

Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection
    Tekken 5
    Tekken Tag 2
    Tekken 3
    Tekken 6
    Tekken 7
    Tekken Tag
    Tekken 4
    Tekken 2
    Tekken

But that's with modern eyes. T2 in particular'd shoot right up if I ordered according to how much I liked each one in their release years.
  • Tekken 3 was the only one I really got into personally, the only 3D fighter in fact.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

Hmm, provisionally:

Tekken 5
    Tekken Tag 2
    Tekken 3
    Tekken 6
    Tekken 7
    Tekken Tag
    Tekken 4
    Tekken 2
    Tekken

But that's with modern eyes. T2 in particular'd shoot right up if I ordered according to how much I liked each one in their release years.
    Escape wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

Hmm, provisionally:

Tekken 5
    Tekken Tag 2
    Tekken 3
    Tekken 6
    Tekken 7
    Tekken Tag
    Tekken 4
    Tekken 2
    Tekken

5 and Dark meld into one so that's neither here nor there for me and I don't care enough to distinguish, but I will give you TTT2: for a while that was most played game on my WiiU. Plus that fucked up mushroom mode was amazing.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'd put original tag way higher tho.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Ball beats Bowl.

Tekken 6 is really divisive for introducing Rage in response to Ultras (boo!), but at the same time, several characters were buffed with some of the flyest tech in the series' history. Hands-down the best version of Baek, and it's where Lee was given what have since become his trademark juggles.

But you won't beat Dark Res for its best-player-wins gameplay. Spacing, reading and timing own in it. Tekken 3 was the first tournament-worthy one; the previous two were best-enjoyed for their thematic strengths. As it goes, T2's still my favourite for its music and stages, followed by T5.

http://tekken.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Tekken_2_stages
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You're right , 6 is divisive. Didn't gel with me, and fucked up the way too many t characters played. I have to say, time and placing have warmed 7 to me to a status way above the standing. It's sitting unplayed on PS4 due to the cockamamie pricing of Plus, but I have put in serious hours in Tokyo arcades on that, to the extent that my Bana card is bursting with costumes and points. It's probably not the best, or near that, but it's got a real time and placer in my heart.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Get @Roujin to bring his strim back and let's have a look at you! Get one o' them trials.

Also:

A major part of my love for the beast priest:

If Castlevania had ever been a fightman... Thinking of Ivy, I really miss Soulcalibur now; V looked and sounded great. Like I said a while ago, they only need to reskin a new one and call it Game of Thrones.

And those digitised backgrounds:

AK_GS.gif
  • Bit of Pilotwings 101 and footage of an in development Wii game that never was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=WFVM5NVqQpM
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Any one famcy getting their dreamcast back online to play with absolutely no one?

http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2017/07/get-your-dreamcast-online-with-dreampi.html?m=1
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Bit of Pilotwings 101 and footage of an in development Wii game that never was:

Thinking about it, Pilotwings Wii ("Pilot Wiings"?) would have been a better pack-in for the Motion Plus.
    Eric wrote:
    Any one famcy getting their dreamcast back online to play with absolutely no one?

You jest, but apparently there's a few thousand playing Phantasy Star Online again.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Fair play. I suppose if there's an active community who can arrange a game. I don't fancy my chances of dialing up to get a game of Outrigger mind!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Can you even get a dial up internet service any more? I remember using one called aardvark a few years ago just to see if it would work. (It did - but I just launched the browser and looked around for a few minutes - the service has since disappeared I think).

DreamPie or forking out for a BB adaptor is really the only way. And I think to play some of the games online you need the US versions. For example the US version of Quake 3 lets you enter the URL of the web service whilst the PAL version has the DreamArena URL hard coded into the game.

It's a miracle they have got PSO running again - it was done by reverse engineering the server code from data packets someone captured when the servers were up and running. An impressive piece of coding to say the least.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That Pilotwings game would have been great. I would love a new game in that series.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    re dialup - wonder if this one works?

http://freeola.com/dial-up-internet/
  • davyK wrote:
    That Pilotwings game would have been great. I would love a new game in that series.

I think it could have been great. It's a shame what happened to Factor 5.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Just noticed you can get Ninja Warriors on PSN now. The original was one of those triple screen arcade games, like Darius. Always used to have a go if I saw it in an arcade, partly because it was an impressive looker and partly because it gave you a decent go for your 20p.

Would be tempted now, but it would need a bigger TV than I've got to do it justice, because it has to compress the 3 screen display into 1.
  • There's actually some decent stuff in the Arcade Archives section now. Another new one is 'Haunted Castle', which I hadn't heard of before but is clearly Castlevania by another name.

A shame they're all just over £5 each though. Most are only good for a quick blast of nostalgia.
  • I'm playing Talmit's Adventure/Marvel Land on Megadrive.  Couldn't choose a ROM on the train this morning and just committed to that.  Luckily, it's pretty good.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    What were you running it on?
  • PSP.  The MD emulator on mine is a bit off in terms of sound, but it's handy in a pinch.  My Caanoo got 'loose stick' (then I lent it to a non-functioning alcoholic who occasionally sees it knocking around) and my JXD lost its power button, so it's effectively dead as I can't turn it on.  Also got the Gemei A330, but that's my NES.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Ashens above!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    There's actually some decent stuff in the Arcade Archives section now. Another new one is 'Haunted Castle', which I hadn't heard of before but is clearly Castlevania by another name. A shame they're all just over £5 each though. Most are only good for a quick blast of nostalgia.

Haunted Castle is one of the ropey Castlevanias. The runt of the litter - I'd avoid it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!