Retro Gaming
  • Probably not, I've got the ROM, will try it out at some point.

I was absolutely Simpsons mad throughout the 90s, even though the games weren't good I kinda still like them.

Would be all over a Hit & Run HD.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Triple post and a page turn.
    This forum.

Oh yeah, I was Simpsons mad, a huge part of my upbringing and general understanding of culture and society.
    Myself and my brother will still regularly quote Simpsons mid conversation like it is a normal saying.
  • Sites been fucked for me recently. Constant errors when posting.

Still more fun than Simpson games though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Same for everyone I think, regarding the site.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    That's impressive

Unfair age advantage, though! I doubt many kids got past Jebediah.

Retro Gamer have it in for Turtles' electric dam stage, but I never found that too bad, you just have to be patient. The Technodrome and Shredder's last bit are harder.

The Simpsons: Tapped Out's quite popular, but sod a phone.
  • Turtles is another I never did.

Yeah the Dam stage wasn't difficult, can't remember how far I got though.

It wasn't much further I think.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The main thing was to protect Donatello's health by risking the others early on. It made some of those parts harder, but he was so much better for the later bits.

It's the game that made Grand Theftendo so appealing to me. ^That's some lovely work at 16:00, by the by.
  • The cruiser bit in Battletoads gets a lot of flak for difficulty, but most of the later stages are far worse.  I suppose it stands out as the level that caused the most towels to be thrown.  Not me though, although I barely made it to the credits using save states every 5 seconds.
  • @Escape thanks for posting that, brought back a lot of memories.

So much so I can pinpoint exactly how far I got. It was to 14:06, I remember not making that jump so obviously didn't pick up that rope(?) to get over with.

Love seeing playthroughs like this, expertly done.

The game had its problems but seeing someone play it this well makes me wonder if it was just too hard and everyone who hates on it is just shit at it, which was most people.

Definitely not up to Konamis usual standards of the time though, it's still poor overall I think but it looks and sounds great in places.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • So there's a C64 mini coming out... with 64 games.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • arcade simpsons was the best
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    IIRC, wasn't Krusty's Fun House a last minute reskinning of another title? (A la Mario Bros 2.)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That bloody Turtles game on NES..... I could get to the segment at 23:10 in that video. I could get there with all turtles , armed to the teeth. Couldn't progress past those guys that fired lasers.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • So there's a C64 mini coming out... with 64 games.

On one 90 minute tape, with a dodgy tape deck.
  • Good as it was at the time, the 8 bit computers are probably best left in the past. I doubt there's anything from that time I could really get into now.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The cruiser bit in Battletoads gets a lot of flak for difficulty, but most of the later stages are far worse.  I suppose it stands out as the level that caused the most towels to be thrown.  Not me though, although I barely made it to the credits using save states every 5 seconds.

Highlight of my childhood was spending so long on that fucking cruiser level that I could reliably nail it everytime. Back when childhood and lack of money meant you put 300 hours into fucking battletoads.
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    IIRC, wasn't Krusty's Fun House a last minute reskinning of another title? (A la Mario Bros 2.)

Correcto, Rat Attack on the C64 which brings us to
    JonB wrote:
    Good as it was at the time, the 8 bit computers are probably best left in the past. I doubt there's anything from that time I could really get into now.

Truth
  • Lads everyone wants to play Midnight Resistance again.

• I didn't realise Kid Kool on NES was a Psycho Fox skin/variation (or vice versa), found out in an online article I skim read at work.  I think I'll play that next.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Good as it was at the time, the 8 bit computers are probably best left in the past. I doubt there's anything from that time I could really get into now.

I heartily agree - that era almost put me off gaming for good.

However there are 3 games from that era I would still play today: Jet Set Willy (esp. the 464 version with the extra screens and the bug fixes), Thrust and Chuckie Egg (on the BBC).
  • davyK wrote:
    I heartily agree - that era almost put me off gaming for good. However there are 3 games from that era I would still play today: Jet Set Willy (esp. the 464 version with the extra screens and the bug fixes), Thrust and Chuckie Egg (on the BBC).
    I liked a lot of the games at the time, including those 3, Elite and various Ultimate games. Other than some early 2600/arcade games that's where I really got into gaming.

Wouldn't mind seeing how Chuckie Egg holds up today, but I think JSW would be a nightmare. When jumping in platform games had to be literally pixel perfect.
  • Lads everyone wants to play Midnight Resistance again.
    Yeah, but surely better to play the arcade/Amiga/MD version?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I remember not making that jump so obviously didn't pick up that rope(?)

Nah, the rope was automatic.

The game had its problems but seeing someone play it this well makes me wonder if it was just too hard and everyone who hates on it is just shit at it, which was most people.

I think but it looks and sounds great in places.

Yeah, seeing it played well is to see the best of it, so I can understand if it felt like a cracker to its devs.
  • Escape wrote:
    I remember not making that jump so obviously didn't pick up that rope(?)

Nah, the rope was automatic.

Hmm, that's literally the last screen I remember and I swear I remember trying to jump it.

You seem to know more than me though so your probably right. Maybe I was down to my last Turtle and died on the next segment really quick. Fuck knows.

Got an itch to play it now...
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Discovery of the day, thanks to this month's Retro Gamer: While the Philips CD-i was a collossal failure, Philips still made a massive profit off it, mainly thanks to licensing the constituent tech out to other companies and a raft of patents obtained during the R&D process.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • JonB wrote:

Blue Max, Skooldaze, Hovver Bover, Green Beret, Hunchback still play pretty well.

I was just scanning through 64 games on Google and came across a game coded in 93 called Mayhem in Monsterland which was released pretty late in the C64s life span. Looks and sounds amazing compared to what I played back then.

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    I heartily agree - that era almost put me off gaming for good. However there are 3 games from that era I would still play today: Jet Set Willy (esp. the 464 version with the extra screens and the bug fixes), Thrust and Chuckie Egg (on the BBC).
    I liked a lot of the games at the time, including those 3, Elite and various Ultimate games. Other than some early 2600/arcade games that's where I really got into gaming. Wouldn't mind seeing how Chuckie Egg holds up today, but I think JSW would be a nightmare. When jumping in platform games had to be literally pixel perfect.

I enjoyed a great deal more that those 3 games I mentioned at the time. I remember having a US Gold compilation with - Leaderboard, Infiltrator, Gauntlet etc that were good at the time. Bombjack, Bubble Bobble, Grand Prix Simulator , Cauldron etc. all got my attention - but  I know they won't have aged gracefully at all.

I liked the pixel perfect jumping of JSW - even then it was painful - but it was part of the game. Traversing a screen could become almost puzzle-like on the better screens.
  • It's probably also significant that I was only 7 or 8 around that time, and hadn't fully developed my gaming skills. (Arguably I still haven't.)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JSW wouldn't have been a good experience for someone so young. It also had a feature whereby it saved the last point you had stopped moving on the screen as a form of a restart point feature - sometimes after losing a life it would put you back into the same position you were at when you collided with an object resulting in a pile of insta-deaths and a game over.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Anyone here Everhart any experience with Gregory Loses His Clock? My mum bought my dad it as a joke present as his middle name is Gregory, and I dipped in and out of it as a 4 year old, but don't remember much apart from random walking backwards and forwards.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!