Retro Gaming
  • davyK wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    There's actually some decent stuff in the Arcade Archives section now. Another new one is 'Haunted Castle', which I hadn't heard of before but is clearly Castlevania by another name. A shame they're all just over £5 each though. Most are only good for a quick blast of nostalgia.
    Haunted Castle is one of the ropey Castlevanias. The runt of the litter - I'd avoid it.

Yeah, its pants.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Do I have to have played the previous castlevanias to enjoy castlevania iv?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Do I have to have played the previous castlevanias to enjoy castlevania iv?

No. It was the first one I played.

I enjoyed it so much I found any other one I played after that to be not as good....I love its focus and linearity - and the 8 way whip control.

I didn't like SOTN as it had gone "all Metroid" and lost the linearity.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dropped Castlevania rondo of blood in the dropbox thread.
    It's the pc engine cd version in an open gl wrapper.
    Works fine in win10 with a controller and the emulation looks and sounds reasonably accurate.

For those not familiar, Rondo is the prequel to symfonie of the night and the last of the traditional Castlevania games. Graphically it's somewhere in between the md and snes versions. Well worth a boot up if Castlevania is your thing.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • mk64 wrote:
    Do I have to have played the previous castlevanias to enjoy castlevania iv?

No, IV is a bit of a black sheep of classic Castlevania games.

The 8-way whip was a huge change, and made the whip so OP, that you rarely used sub-weapons.

They've never used it again, so pretty sure they reckon it was a bad experiment.

As Davy says though, if you started with IV, you might find it hard to play any others.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Rondo of Blood is a good one too. I've enjoyed 4 Castlevania games.

IV was my first and I still love it. If it has a fault it's the fact that most of the boss fights are a bit too easy. Still play it from time to time to see how far I can get without continuing. Bought the soundtrack on vinyl.

Chronicles was the 2nd I enjoyed. It was a remake for the PS1 of a game made for the JPN only Sharp computer.  It's a step back from IV but it's got excellent levels.

Rondo of Blood (PCE - played on Wii VC). Has a great look and introduces different characters which ups the replayability as they play quite differently. Has alternative paths too. I haven't played as much of this as I should - I will return to it.

Rebirth (WiiWare) - short and sweet and some nice boss fights. Has a couple of alternate paths that are unlocked using keys. Introduces a fire ball firing whip which can be satisfying to use.
  • I've played Bloodlines and IV to the end, both quality entries.
  • T'was classic Konami at it's creative peak.
    All their 16 -bit output was gold.
    Snes, md and yes pc engine.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • IV, Rondo and III are my favs.

Bloodlines, Vampires Kiss, I and Chronicles are second tier.

I, Belmonts Revenge and Rebirth are next.

Legends and Haunted Castle are shite.

II was an ambitious mess.

The rest can do one.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I loved II, and it's the only other one I've completed. I tried Dracula X on the U, but it felt older than IV because of its nerfed whipping.
  • I got a soft spot for II, it was the first one I got as a kid.

It was a brave attempt that's got some genuinely good bits but ultimately it just doesn't quite work.

Kudos to Konami for being so ambitious with it though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    The rest can do one.

Hold the phone, SotN?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    The rest can do one.

Hold the phone, SotN?

That's where it lost me.

I love the linear gameplay of the old ones.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    The rest can do one.
    Hold the phone, SotN?
    That's where it lost me. I love the linear gameplay of the old ones.

Aye. One of my biggest gaming disappointments when I played this.
  • I played 1 or 2 on the nes when I was young and it was rock hard.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It's funny how people call Castlevania II and Mega Man 2 hard, because they're among the few NES games that I completed. Gremlins 2 was harder (good ending, though).
  • I guess they're just hard games that happened to be popular.

Most NES owners had a Castlevania or a Mega Man, both protagonists were in Captain N for a good reason.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Toughest NES game I completed was Bart Vs Space Mutants. The game had no warps or passwords either - 1CC or nothing.

I reckon I fluked the last level though - you had to find fuel rods in the power station and return them to the core - I cleared it first go. Never went back near the game after that.
  • I had Gremlins 2 on GB, never got past the flying boss.
    Bart Vs Space Mutants I had on Amiga, didn't get far on that either.
  • davyK wrote:
    Toughest NES game I completed was Bart Vs Space Mutants. The game had no warps or passwords either - 1CC or nothing.

I reckon I fluked the last level though - you had to find fuel rods in the power station and return them to the core - I cleared it first go. Never went back near the game after that.

That's impressive, definitely one of the tougher ones I had.

Never done it myself, it's one I intend to do on the retron5 with the aid of save states.

Furthest I got was the museum level.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Christ I never got off the first street on Amiga.
    I definitely wouldn't have played it after a couple of attempts if it wasn't for the license. Stoopid kid.
  • It wasn't a very good game, although I have a soft spot for it.

I could perfect the first 3 levels at one stage but got fed up with it before I could get further.

I'm not sure there was ever a good Simpsons game until Hit & Run.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It wasn't a very good game, although I have a soft spot for it.

I could perfect the first 3 levels at one stage but got fed up with it before I could get further.

I'm not sure there was ever a good Simpsons game until Hit & Run.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I had Bart's Nightmare on MD.
    Not good but had some interesting ideas, again far too hard though.

Road Rage was OK and just before Hit and Run. Crazy Taxi clone in Springfield.
  • I've still got Nightmare, and Virtual Bart. Awful but I get what you mean about the ideas.

Never played Road Rage, looked ok though.

The Simpsons Game was ok, nothing special at all but probably the second best game from the franchise I've played.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • That reminds me.
    Virtual Springfield was decent. Point and click adventure/tour which iirc had some original content written by the show's writers.

I also had The Simpson's Cartoon Studio. A fun title for kids where you could place pre-animated characters into a scene, add music etc.
  • Fuck yeah, I forgot about Virtual Springfield.

Wanted that so bad but my PC wasn't up to the task at the time.

The others I had were:
    Bart VS The World
    Krustys Super Fun House
    The Itchy & Scratchy Game
    Simpsons Wrestling

Always wanted Bartman Meets Radioactive Man but it never got a PAL release.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I would suggest emulation but it probably isn't worth it.
  • I've got the ROM, will try it out at some point.

I was absolutely Simpsons mad throughout the 90s, even though the games weren't good I kinda still like them.

Would be all over a Hit & Run HD.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I've got the ROM, will try it out at some point.

I was absolutely Simpsons mad throughout the 90s, even though the games weren't good I kinda still like them.

Would be all over a Hit & Run HD.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!