• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Auction I mentioned earlier:

Dragon's Lair went for £950 - reckon that's a bargain even with 20% fees on top of that.
    Baby Pacman went for £1300

Outrun went for 5 grand. Jesus. It's the sit down deluxe edition. Gorgeous.

Some Batman driving arcade game. Sit down £3,800.

Some serious coin going - plenty of internet bids coming in so a lot of these will probably go overseas.

Didn't see the price of the sit down Star Wars and Battlezone but I'd bet it's safe to say they went for similar prices.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Holy sh1t.

The company in the US I was in communications with has come back to me letting me know they have an Asteroids Deluxe back in stock. Moment of truth. Wifey still says yes. This was to be my 50th birthday present. Has taken 18 months for one to pop up.

I have the coin but it's a gulp moment. Two grand on a video game. Will probably go up in value - but still.

:/

Have said yes.
  • Good stuff mate. Looking forward to the pics
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Feel guilty about spending this amount but it's equal to the amount I raised when I had my game clearout which paid for sprucing up the downstairs bathroom which salves my guilt a tad.

Might be a couple of months. The guys are pretty busy. So there's the time to recondition it, touch up the artwork etc. And then it's on a ship.  No idea how long that will take. 20% import tax I'll have to pay to get it out of the dock is annoying.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK wrote:
    Feel guilty about spending this amount but it's equal to the amount I raised when I had my game clearout which paid for sprucing up the downstairs bathroom which valves my guilt a tad.

Might be a couple of months. The guys are pretty busy. So there's the time to recondition it, touch up the artwork etc. And then it's on a ship.  No idea how long that will take. 20% import tax I'll have to pay to get it out of the dock is annoying.

No one probably remembers but a few pages back I posted my collection with the intention of reshuffling to 'better games'.

I'll report back when I'm done but currently I've sold shit such as The Lion King on NES for £100 and replaced it with FFVII and Mystical Ninja on SNES.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    I know where I'm going next weekend.

#Davystock
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.  A Belfaststock would be a thing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Escape wrote:

Pity he didn't have one. I'd have had a go at getting it as I would saved on shipping and import tax (though there's a 20% fee at that auction). Sold as seen too which is always a gamble.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Ironically, I think the PSPGo found it's niche when PSP emu became common place.
    Looking at ebay and craigslist, seems all the Go's are already hacked, and go for $100+. Seems like a good deal if you don't wanna do it yourself.

Have switched minds again on how I wanna emulate. Looking at 8 bit do controllers I saw one that gets released in December, SNES one with two sticks and all the buttons / rumble etc. They also do a clip to put you're phone in. So that looks like the cheapest option. Can use the 8 bit on PC / Switch / Android, so I can do big screen / handheld. Now only to figure out which emulators are best on Android. I've got a OnePlus 3T so that's a least a recent phone with a good screen. Plus phone can be vertical / horizontal so that's another plus.

@Davy, good news about the cabinet! Read through most of this thread the other day when I wasn't feeling great and was wondering if you're were still going for it.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. Have been sent some pictures. It needs a bit of work but they say it will be ready in a about a week or so. I could have this in time for Christmas if all goes well :)
  • I bought a new PSP Go a month ago from Italy through eBay for roughly €80+p. It's a lovely machine and the hacking takes about 5 minutes and it's a very simple procedure. Been on a PSP phase lately as physical games are so cheap and it has a surprisingly good and big library. Then ripping the UMD's with the old 3000 model I already had and moving them to Go.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Go to 1'30'' - apparantly that's "my" Asteroids-Deluxe-cabinet-in-waiting...

Once it is spruced up in a couple of weeks  -I'll be sent a video of how it looks before shipping. I get to pick the t-molding.  Black was the original but I'm toying with Discs of Tron Blue....any opinions on that?
  • Just bought a PAL Saturn with a scart and power cable. Included Sega Rally, Daytona USA, Road Rash and Off-World Interceptor II Extreme for €50 from a local indie store. Just tested it but I can't get far without a controller. I obviously need at least a controller and a memory card (?). I had already bought Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Shining Force III a couple of years ago during some dark eBay spending spree. 

Any recommendations for controller, memory cards, best way to connect to my HDTV and games are welcome. I'm a complete noob with this console. In the future I might try to acquire the 60hz modded console that would be region free (?) if I like this one. I remember that I had read about the mod few years ago, possibly from this thread.
  • You can use a lithium (iirc) battery on the Saturn.  Second iteration of official PAL controller is best, look for the one with the non-concave dpad.

I'd go black myself Davy, but how much would you regret not getting Discs of Tron Blue?
  • Obviously I'll enjoy doing a Saturn list later this evening.  Panzer Zwei would be pretty high up though, I'd love to play through that again.
  • Exclusives only, my list would look something like this:

1. Virtua Fighter 2
    2. NiGHTS
    3. Sega Rally
    4. Virtua Cop
    5. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
    6. Panzer Dragoon Saga
    7. Guardian Heroes
    8. Athlete Kings
    9. Virtual On
    10. Shining the Holy Ark

but Exhumed and Tomb Raider would be well in the mix for 'best games on the console', maybe SF Alpha III too.  

An underrated gems list you say?  Watch this space.
  • Saturn is poo!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A Saturn console can be modded OK though there is an Action replay cartridge that will let you play imports. They will only play at 50Hz though. Instead of paying for a mod (unless you are handy yourself) it might cost as much to just get an import machine as they aren't expensive.

The battery will give you some backup memory but you might run out of space quickly. There's an official backup cartridge that has a pile more space on it.

The v2 controller is far better. Look out for the 3D controller too which is decent though there aren't a huge number of games for it - it looks a bit like a Dreamcast controller with no space for a VMU. It works with the better racing games.

You have Sega Rally which is a superb game - Got a great PAL port too - plays just like the NTSC version.  It works with the 3D controller but the digital control is so good it's not a big deal. What you will need it for is Manx TT Superbike which is a splendid game if a bit light on content.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some other PAL games:

Virtua Cop 2
    Baku Baku 
    Fighters Megamix
    Tempest 2000
    Winter Heat
    Saturn Bomberman (will be expensive though)
    Digital Pinball : Last Gladiators

Once you import your options go through the roof - though it can be pricey too.

Loads of great shooters such as DoDonPachi, Parodius series, Fantasy Zone, Soukyugarentai and Layer Section are among the best that aren't super expensive.

2D fighters which include the mighty Capcom versus games that use the 4MB expansion cart (this comes with the games usually but isn't expensive to get on its own). Xmen v Streetfighter, Marvel Super Heroes v Streetfighter, Vampire Saviour and SFA3 (this one is expensive though).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'd go black myself Davy, but how much would you regret not getting Discs of Tron Blue?

Thing is - t-molding is easy to change. Could do it myself. Have seen some pictures with blue and it matches well with the side art. I may take a gamble but I should probably clear it with Wifey as this is be installed in our hall......
  • Thanks a lot for the help and recommendations! 

Saw a plastic bag near the counter and was very surprised to see a Saturn there. The owner refused to give me a price and I was a bit gutted that I went €50 first as he instantly agreed. Games were all CIB and after checking eBay it seems the games alone are worth the €50 I paid so I guess I did alright. Can't wait to go hunting for games and accessories later tonight on eBay and some good retailers.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is the one game I really want and seems like I could get a good copy for £200-250. Never paid even three figures for a game but might treat myself with that at some point.
  • 50hz has never bothered me on PS1 games and many times I've actually refused to watch a comparison video that would show the difference. I'm happy to be blind and ignorant in this case. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Most imports will work OK at 50Hz. I played them that way for years. The only game I know of that glitches at 50Hz is MSH v Streetfighter but there may be others so look out for that if importing.

The AR cart for importing should be easy to find. It also works as a 4MB expansion pack so you can play those Capcom 4MB fighters using it. It also has a backup memory so you can copy your system backup to that once to a while to backup your high scores etc.

Oh - and the Virtua Cop games are lightgun games. You can play with a gamepad though. And of course the light gun won't work on a modern TV. CRT only for that.

50 euro for that lot is a decent price, especially with the SCART lead. Although apparantly when the Saturn first came out it came with a SCART lead and they had to be replaced with the shitty RF lead after too many complaints.

Does your console have round or oval buttons? The oval button machine is the mk1. Don't think there's any difference though. I have the PAL mk1 and a white JPN model (very nice!)
  • It has oval buttons. The white JPN model does indeed look lovely.
  • You could always treat yourself with Saga and sell it on afterwards, with a bit of luck you might even make a few quid for the privilege.  Battle Fight system is superb.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - if you want to do PD Saga as a "won and done" thing you will be able to sell it on and maybe make a few quid.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!