Retro Gaming
  • Wasn't Elf looking to sell his copy of Saga recently ?
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Saturn is poo!

Nuff love for Saturn btw.

Purely drunken bants.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Dumb question but couldn't find a definite answer. I  presume that Japanese controllers work on a Pal console?
  • Never known any not to tbh.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Saturn is poo!
    Nuff love for Saturn btw. Purely drunken bants.

Never in doubt, especially the drunken bit :)

You should start collecting Saturn stuff for retro days.  I'll gift you a console as a starting point.
  • davyK wrote:
    Yeah - if you want to do PD Saga as a "won and done" thing you will be able to sell it on and maybe make a few quid.

It's a fairly short game too, despite coming on 4 discs.

Dragon Force is another game worth owning, although it's a pricey one too.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Controllers are not region locked. I've used my various controllers on both consoles.

btw there's a very nice stick for the Saturn. The one we got in Europe isn't great but this is.....the HSS-0136

HSS-0136.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Saturn is poo!
    Nuff love for Saturn btw. Purely drunken bants.

Never in doubt, especially the drunken bit :)

You should start collecting Saturn stuff for retro days.  I'll gift you a console as a starting point.

Make it a sexy white Japanese one and your on ;-)
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Sorry mate, it's the Mk.2 PAL one with a 3rd party pad that's been chilling with the rats in the loft.
  • Fair play, can't refuse such generosity.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Shopping today.

Panzer Dragoon
    Christmas Nights
    Nights into Dreams 
    Manx TT
    Winter Heat
    Athlete Kings
    Magic Carpet
    Bust a Move 2
    Exhumed
    Worms
    Theme Park
    Virtua Fighter 2
    GunGriffon
    Tomb Raider

One Pal mark 2 controller and a package of two Japanese controllers.

Still need the Action Replay and a 3D controller soon but I'll wait a bit on those.
  • Am I missing any big UK online sellers? Selection and prices are just terrible at my local options.

Chillout games is easily my favourite, decent pricing and great shipping costs but very unlikely to find any bargains. Retrogames.co.uk has decent selection but is usually pricier and the shipping costs are just ludicrous to Finland. Games World Bodmin is a mess to navigate but I've made some good finds there. Is there anything else?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I picked most of my PAL games up in the likes of Ca$h Converters but that was back in the day when people were offloading their Saturns.

That's a nice collection you have amassed there. Magic Carpet is a bit of a stinker though.

Saturn also got these excellent 2D shooters in PAL:

Galactic Attack (aka Layer Section) - one of the finest old school style shooters ever.

Parodius - called Parodius Deluxe Pack in JP - 2 games on 1 disc - Paradius Doh! and Fantastic Journey. Top notch ports.

Darius Gaiden - magnificent port which features a stupendous soundtrack and wild visuals

Darius 2 - Excellent port of an OK game. The arcade game is 2 screens wide so the Saturn port lets you zoom in and out in real time using the shoulder buttons.

I also mentioned Tempest 2000 earlier - it really is a great port of the game. A better frame rate than the Jaguar and CD quality music.
  • There is Cex which can be decent for the easy to get games. The rarer games will still sell for a premium and condition can be an issue. Here is the link to the Saturn section:

https://uk.m.webuy.com/search?sPage=1&stext=Saturn&sortOn=sort_by_relevance&sPgSize=25

Hopefully they delivery to Finland!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Saturn PAL games and game cases. I'm not sure what Sega were thinking when they designed the PAL game cases. They barely function in any way that packaging should.

Later PAL games came out in DVD style cases that are much better. The collector in me has prompted me to upgrade some PAL games I had when the opportunity came along.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Also if you really don't care about the PAL 50Hz thing then I'd pick up Sega Ages Vol. 1 (there is no vol. 2 or any other).

Three "arcade perfect" games in one - Outrun, Afterburner 2 and Space Harrier.

They run fine (if bordered) but Sega screwed up with altering the timer in Outrun and it's too fast making it harder. There's options for adjusting the amount you start of with on the timer but worth noting.
  • How easy are Saturns to mod/play imports?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No idea. I believe the old original mod chips are getting tougher to get. The existence of the AR cart is probably a lot to do with that. If you mod a Saturn to do 60Hz then the cart is all you would need.

There is a mod that is non-invasive and has been designed to be plugged into the video CD card slot at the back of the console but it has yet to be productised. That one also removes the need for the CD drive so it's kind of a big deal. There are other SD card mods (one is I think called Rhea) that do the same and are available but need changes to the console. However I think some of these don't require any special skills//soldering and for purists could be reversed.

https://gdemu.wordpress.com/about/
  • Thanks davy, I'll add those to my list. Most of them seemed to be relatively reasonably priced.

Cex only ship to UK. :(
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The Virtua Stick's my favourite off-the-shelf stick.

Virtua Cop was always a bit rubbish, even at launch with the pink and blue pistols. Panzer Dragoon was a right load of old jank, and Virtua Fighter — love it as I did — doesn't hold up. SEGA Rally and Virtua Fighter 2 are my picks, and World Series Baseball if you've someone to play it with.

Moot_Geeza wrote:
    with a 3rd party pad that's been chilling with the rats in the loft.

What is it with you and pad-storage?! You've made a shrine for the official one, right?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Quite like Virtua Cop on Saturn. Don't play it much but had a go on it a few months ago and I was surprised how well it still held up gameplay-wise. The bright blue gun is silly but it's understandable why they do things like that. VC 2 looks a lot more polished but for some reason I prefer the 1st game.

With you on Panzer Dragoon though the 2nd game is an improvement. But even then it never really clicked with me. It looked just a bit too rough for my tastes. I really dislike that early 3D look that many games from that gen have.
  • Pazer Dragoon was not a right load of old jank and Virtua Cop has never been even a little bit rubbish.  

/FLOUNCE
  • Virtua Cop is fantastic, I used to play the arcade in my teens quite a bit, could 1cc. Love it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    VC's levels have a great feel to them. Once you learn them there is a highly satisfying rhythm to them. Classic Sega craftmanship.

Only other light gun game I felt that with was HOTD:Overkill on Wii, particularly in the hospital level.
  • I did some work on HOTD:Overkill, decent game. Have the TOTD version too but that sadly lacks local 2p afaik.
  • I just bought a second DC keyboard as I thought it has a co op. Google thinks it has local co op for what it's worth?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    TOTD on Dreamcast has 2 player versus and it's a hoot. I ran a tournament in work a couple of times with it.
  • Still on my wanted list. I saw it for £30 on ebay and should have committed, instead I faffed about and missed out and now its a £60+ game (caveat that the Jpn game goes for peanuts)
  • zonipoi wrote:
    I just bought a second DC keyboard as I thought it has a co op. Google thinks it has local co op for what it's worth?

Sorry was referring to TotD:Overkill.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Pazer Dragoon was not a right load of old jank

Pazer Dragoon, you say. Never played it, but I'll take your word.

davyK wrote:
    VC's levels have a great feel to them.

The office was all right. Nah, I jest: it was a decent enough game at the time. Just not a classic. Daytona really was quite bad, though, 'cause it didn't translate from its cab nearly as well as SEGA Rally.

C'mon, then... any love for Bug!, Clockwork Knight, or Cyber Speedway? Anyone ever play Virtual Hydlide?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!