Retro Gaming
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Contacting the bank tomorrow. Haven't done an international transfer before but I have identified the form I have to fill in that my bank requires.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • If this is a scam I will personally give you 50%
  • This is exciting davy!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Indeed.

Called the bank. Have to physically call into the branch. How quaint. Would be a pain in the arse if I didn't live in a city due to branch paucity.

Have been told it will take 1-2 weeks to get the work done and then I guess it's in the lap of the logistical Gods as to how long it takes to leave Pennsylvania, cross the Atlantic and get to the port of Belfast.

:/

It's currently in their warehouse requiring TLC...Jump to 1'30'' to see it... It's to the left of 2 original Asteroids cabs - the AVGN is standing next to it.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Money sent. Jesus.

I have an invoice from them and I've spoken to them on the phone. But still. Money.

I feel a bit like Grand Moff Tarkin after being talked into letting the Millenium Falcon escape from the Death Star with the tracking beacon.
  • Great stuff Davy :D
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Money out of my bank account now. Jeepers.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    eeep, [excited]
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Post lots of pics so we can all live vicariously through you.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Not been in here a while. What you end up paying @davyK
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not been in here a while. What you end up paying @davyK

$2,600  inc. $600 delivery.

There will be import tax on top of that. My queries have resulted in answers ranging from zero to 20%. I am assuming the worst.

So it's approx £2,000 + up to £400 import tax which is applied to delivery costs which is a bit hard to swallow.

It has largely been funded by my clearout with chillout games which I got £2,000 for in total.
  • Self funded then mate, your not spending money ;-)

I've been selling some NES/SNES games to fund condensing my SNES collection down to a smaller but higher quality set.

Currently got £400 in the funds.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    When I got that money from chillout it was used at the time to complete our house extension project but with the understanding I could do this when an endowment matured earlier this year. It was an endowment I originally started as part of the mortgage on my first house - I moved to a repayment mortgage 17 years ago but decided to keep it on until it matured as a little savings plan. So now it has matured and this machine is now available (have been waiting 18 months for one to become available).

It's all about the import tax and then hoping the delivery process all goes well. The supplier has a very good track record shipping pinballs and cabinets worldwide. So it should be OK..  :/

I'm starting to think about selling some more stuff if I'm honest. I have 80-odd CIB SNES games , mostly PAL, that I simply don't play any more.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yeah, it's a sickener that they apply import duty to delivery charges as well as the product, really pissed me off when looking to import a onewheel, luckily there are some dealers over here instead
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Also , if I had bought it at the time I did my clearout the supplier's prices were lower (was $2200 then) + I didn't have Brexit and the knock sterling took.

Timing wasn't right though. Shrug.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just got an email from TNT. They have received payment. Also the new control overlay has just arrived in their workshop.

Butterflies...
  • Great stuff davyK!

Shipping costs being part of the import tax sucks but I understand it's like that so people can't get by the taxes by paying higher shipping fees while marking the value of the product lower.

I just bought a fully modded (50/60Hz, region, modchip) Saturn from Consolepassion. Excited about it, now I can play some fan translated games like Dragon Force 2 and the Shining Force trilogy without much hassle while also getting the benefits from the 60Hz and region free mods. :)

Also bought Dragon Force (PAL), Duke Nukem 3D (PAL), Pandemonium (PAL), Dynamite Deka (JPN), Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius (JPN) and Bubble Symphony (JPN). Going to try to take a break now. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice. Oshaberi Parodius is probably my favourite entry in the series. Sexy Parodius is a great game but Oshaberi just has so much content.

There are the hidden fairy sub quests and an arrange mode thrown in. It's also unique for a shooter in that you can save and load your current progress to/from 3 save slots in the pause menu.
  • Pulled the trigger on Panzer Dragoon Saga. Been looking at eBay daily since I bought the Saturn and today saw a complete very good condition one for €299 or ~£260 from Spain. Hurts a bit but I really shouldn't be losing money if I decide to sell it one day and it really is in very good condition.
  • Fuck, maybe I should've held on to mine.  Thought I did quite well doubling my money + £5 around 10 years back.
  • Been playing Asteroids this evening in the Four Quarters pub/arcade nearish me.  It's a striking game Davy, still looks incredible.  Great choice, it's the most timeless game in the pub, including Point Blank.

Edit: Maybe excluding Galaxian, love that.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Exciting times Davy!

The arcade cab scene globally is pretty small and very much based on reputation so I'm sure it'll all be fine.

I miss my cabs :(
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Been playing Asteroids this evening in the Four Quarters pub/arcade nearish me.  It's a striking game Davy, still looks incredible.  Great choice, it's the most timeless game in the pub, including Point Blank. Edit: Maybe excluding Galaxian, love that.

I've opted for Deluxe which Atari created in response to operators complaining about people lasting too long on 1 credit. Hyperspace is replaced with a finite shield enabling more skilful play and there's homing satellites (which I believe at least partially inspired Geometry Wars) and more intelligent ufos that prevent lurking.  The score rolls over at 1 million (the original rolls at 100K) AND deluxe also retains the top 3 scores after power off.

With deluxe you are also looking at a reflected image instead of directly at the monitor - it gives a very effective "floating" image.

I can't wait. Excited and hopeful all will be OK....it's a long way to travel. Price includes power conversion for UK 240V.  They have delivered quite few to the UK so reasonably confident it will get here in one piece.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    FFS be careful if you start poking inside it. The monitors hold enough charge to kill you 10 times over when switched off and for a long time too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Don't worry about that!  I wouldn't even take the back off my old CRT. Big old capacitors in that technology.

Would be a waste of time anyhow - wouldn't have a clue. TNT offer lifetime phone support and I know a couple of local electrical-bods who mod consoles etc who could probably help if given directions from TNT if any problems arise. 

I'm told the worst they have seen after shipping is the fluorescent tube has come loose and just needs slotted back in.

However TNT clean every PCB connector, reseat and clean all ICs and replace all capacitors. They put in a new power supply & fuse block and they rebuild the monitor electronics;  new capacitors, diodes etc. They will put a new flyback in (whatever that is) if needed.  New LEDs on the 1 player/2 players buttons and they replace the controls too - new buttons etc.  They leave the machine running for 24hrs as a final test. So it should be pretty problem free given the reduced number of hours use in a home situation.

They will email me a video of the completed machine for my perusal before shipping.
  • astroids.jpg

Me getting my 25p's worth in the Four Quarters on Saturday.  Anecdote time: Last time I was in there, which was a couple of months ago, I got blind drunk on something my mate was drinking and walked into the window on my way to get cigs, which somehow cut (and scarred, as it turns out) my forearm.  Dunno if it broke, there was a touch of 'drink up Trig, we're leaving' about the exit when I came back for my coat.  Anyway, this week there was a sign on both sides of the front screen that read HOW DRUNK WOULD YOU HAVE TO BE TO THINK THIS IS A DOOR?  Ooops.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Excellent story. Excellent game. The cabinet looks to be in decent condition too. I love the control panel.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    So my latest obsession is watching this one geezer speedrun Donkey Kong 64. No, I'm not sure why either, but I'm addicted for some reason. Anywho, geezer mentions in latest video that he uses a GameCube pad, connected to his Wii U via  Wiimote and a special adapter. Thought folks on here might be interested. The Raphnet website lists multiple adapters, including the aforementioned one which also allows usage of SNES and N64 pads on the Wii U Virtual Console. Pretty much every console from the Dreamcast and back has various adapters available for them. Disclaimer: I've not actually, y'know, bought or used any of these products, so no getting narked at me if they turn out to be shit. Post is FYI only. ;)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Basically, I just loved the idea of using a GameCube controller to play an N64 game running on a Wii U via a Wii Remote. It's a four-tiered console-ception. BWAAAAAAMP.
  • I got the N64 adapter from them.

It's shoddy workmanship but works fine.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!