Retro Gaming
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Would love a version that didn't give me a colosol headache. I remember getting a headache playing it on the N64, bad enough that I had the day off school the next day and I was never allowed days off. My Mum came home at lunch and caught me playing again, I was marched straight back to school. Still had the headache but that game is addictive.

Probably the combo of the N64 blur-o-vision and having to really concentrate just to last more than a minute or two. 

The DC version is crystal clear (and my RGB SCART N64 version is blur free too now). I suspect the PS2 and the old PC version is clean too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Talking of N64, a group of people going by the moniker Retro Fighters have announced a new controller. It'll be compatible with all the relevant Paks, and I can imagine it'll be a great way of getting a new controller without having to trawl the depths of fleaBay. It was mentioned in this month's Retro Gamer, who were a bit sceptical about the potential quality of the product, given the US$20 price tag.

retro-fighters-n64-controller-3.jpg

KickStarter has smashed its target, and has 45 hours left at this point.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I imagine the Mario 64/Banjo/DK64 speed running crowd will be very happy.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • mk64 crew will lap that up
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Looks much more comfortable.
    Does it have built in rumble?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Does it have built in rumble?

I imagine no, but it'll work with the Rumble Pak.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That looks the part. I'm wary of backing a hardware project like this though.
  • Nintendo will modernise it with the release of the N64 mini next year ;-) although that won't work with old N64s.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Another good find in this month's Retro Gamer - there were 14 official variants of the PC Engine. Which I think beats out the Mega Drive for the 'most iterated upon' piece of hardware. If I can be bothered I'll put together a series of pictures for the Sins of the Silicon thread. ;)
  • Do it, I've seen them all as I did an absolute ton of research on it about 10-15 years ago when I was gonna buy one.

Problem was cosmetically they got worse and less reliable but the original only had RF out which wouldn't have worked on UK TVs without modding.

The price ultimately made me decide against it. I've since sold most of my consoles, at its peak I think I had close to 30.

The PC Engine will always be that one I wish I owned but never did.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah, RG mentions there were companies in France and the UK offering Scart/RGB mods for PC Engines.

You should go for it. I keep seeing people in RG with massive collections of stuff they loved from their youth. But the reason I'm collecting DC and NGPC is because I mostly missed out first time around. At some point I'll start looking into Neo Geo CD gubbins for the same reason.

My job for the weekend, then: pictures of all the PC Engine variants.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:

You should go for it.

Tbh my game collection has almost gone full circle now. I'm back to the ones I had as a kid and have a sentimental attachment to.

I only own 13 consoles now and that includes the contemporary(ish) Wii U, 3DS, Switch, PS3 and PS4.

I owned so much but two things ultimately made me give up:

1. Space

2. I had the best collection of anyone I knew but when youtube really took off and people started doing room tours I realised it wasn't that big after all*. It was a bit of a why bother if your not the best situation.

I'm happy to emulate for the most part these days, the only console I actively collect for still is the SNES but that's got silly expensive now.

* an amusing comparison is being the best kid in your school during the 90s at Street Fighter II, then getting your arse handed to you online years later. The only comfort is telling yourself 12 year old you would wipe the floor against modern you, somehow convincing yourself you could have held your own online in 1993.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    After experiencing PCE game on he Wii's VC I quickly came to the conclusion that it was a great console and to have owned one when it was contemporary would have been quite something.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    an amusing comparison is being the best kid in your school during the 90s at Street Fighter II, then getting your arse handed to you online years later. The only comfort is telling yourself 12 year old you would wipe the floor against modern you, somehow convincing yourself you could have held your own online in 1993.

I still reckon, if the internet had progressed faster, me and my mate from school would have been pro GoldenEye players.
    davyK wrote:
    After experiencing PCE game on he Wii's VC I quickly came to the conclusion that it was a great console and to have owned one when it was contemporary would have been quite something.

I imagine it's similar to the Neo Geo AES - had you been able to afford one at the time, it must have been mind-blowing.
  • everyone thinks theyre good at goldeneye until they go to the-elite.net

the main standard difference is if you can force spawns for killing. If you can do that then you at least stand a chance.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Thing is, the standard really was lower back then. If you compare Ryan Hart's early Tekken 3 abilities to his Tag ones a few years later...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Thing is, the standard really was lower back then. If you compare Ryan Hart's early Tekken 3 abilities to his Tag ones a few years later...

This. 16-year-old me wouldn't stand a chance against today's players, but I was pretty top back then. (I reckon. Probably wrong, but you know what I mean.) I remember watching an interview with one of the pro Halo 2 players, during his days as a Halo 3 commentator, and he was saying how crazy it is to watch a game develop. In the early days of Halo 2, teams would vie for control of the turrets. Latter day Halo 2 competitions and Halo 3 in general, teams would avoid them like the plague.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I think I'd have been in with a shout on Gran Turismo (wall-gains banned), but those are all abandoned as soon as a newer one comes out, so there's not much evolution. The newer ones have GT Academy, of course, but I really don't care for 'em.
  • New book from Read Only Memory (the guys behind the excellent MegaDrive, Bitmap Brothers and Sensible Soccer books) on the Dreamcast.

Kickstarter link here.
  • Ha ha I just came here to post the same. Well worth the money, the Megadrive one is beautiful.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I've got the MD one, it certainly is.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    New book from Read Only Memory (the guys behind the excellent MegaDrive, Bitmap Brothers and Sensible Soccer books) on the Dreamcast.

Kickstarter link here.

Soooooollllld.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    New book from Read Only Memory (the guys behind the excellent MegaDrive, Bitmap Brothers and Sensible Soccer books) on the Dreamcast.

Kickstarter link here.

Soooooollllld.

Pledged! :)

The Mega Drive book is wonderful.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I want that PSO slip cover more than anything I've wanted in a while, but fuck me £150 is a lot.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Finally got around to clearing out the bag full of leaflets I picked up at Insomnia61, and thought this might be of interest to folks. GameBoy Shack make replacement parts for the GameBoy, as well as providing mods (back lights, etc.), and tools for repairing your GameBoy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I can remember ordering a battery case cover from Nintendo for a GB Pocket back in the day.  :)
  • I would so go to that if it was on a Friday night!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
  • Snes was technically the superior console hands down but sega's megadrive gave nintendo some good opposition. Not bad for a console released in '88. Sega also broke Nintendo's stranglehold monopoly on 3rd party dev licensing, paving the way for multi platform releases.

Sega made some really sloppy mistakes too, some fatal. The md add-ons should not have left the prototype labs. Mega-Cd and 32x were a waste of time and money and only confused consumers while damaging the sega brand. The 32X especially was a useless expensive stopgap when everyone knew the Saturn would arrive a year later.

In hindsight Sega's md devtools could've and should've been handled better too. As Stephane's sf2 audio mod has shown, the md was perfectly capable of doing clear voice samples. He rewrote the md's audio driver from scratch and it works surprisingly well. Granted, he did use the legacy master system hardware inside every megadrive to achieve this but still, not bad. Why Sega didn't exploit this trick to gain parity against snes is just...sloppy.
    The md color pallet was often a bit muddy but modders like Pyron show that the md can shine with a little tlc. Pyron's sf2 and ssf2 color mods really show what the md chipset's capable of.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!