Retro Gaming
  • Lovely (Swirl) and lovely (Reg).

I'm really tempted by the GC HDMI so am looking forward to your impressions!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • regmcfly wrote:
    GameCube HDMI is on the way
    Did you not see this mate?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It seems the version in the video will fry the GC if it gets disturbed and the connector moves slightly at the back. So I'd make sure the console is well out of the way and use a Wavebird controller.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Same, wired controllers would be a risk.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yikes! I'd superglue it in or produce a makeshift frame to fix the GC down.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    I guess this foits as well here an anywhere else http://www.digitiser2000.com/main-page/shooting-sacred-cows-10-overrated-classic-games Made me chuckle a bit, and he's going to get pelters off some very earnest 'gamerz' online

Quake was totally saved by its multiplayer and openness to modding; WipEout's devs were unhappy with how its ships glued themselves to walls instead of grinding, but ran out of time and fixed it in 2097; and though Street Fighter II endured because of its difficulty, it could be played by anybody (like, it's the only game that my mum ever won a match in; with Blanka, obviously).

Agree with the rest, especially the frequency of Halo's alien Munchkins. It doesn't help that Master Chief looks like a McDonald's-tier robosoldier from John Carpenter's latter films, but in a game about Yescombe-booshing badman blasting, they're the final, undermining straw. Had they been intentionally lame as a comment on such badman endeavours...

It felt as if Bungie had watched Starship Troopers for inspiration without realising its satire. And I'm sure it was Gillen who pointed out (to me, at least) the genius of subtle direction markers to navigate its copy-and-paste levels.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Caved in and ordered a modded NTSC N64 with RGB SCART.

Will report back when it arrives and I've tried it out.
  • Nice!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye - my JP model doesn't work with my CRT which only supports NTSC via RGB SCART - I only get a B&W image . It works with my LCD TV but it really doesn't do the old dear any favours.

Hoping the warm fuzzy CRT for which the console was designed will give it a helping hand - particularly with Waverace and Star Soldier which look pretty ugly on the LCD.
  • Could anyone here help me with a NES and SNES not powering up please? I have two AC adapters and both power up the consoles but temporarily. If it works ok once I unplug it and reinsert to try again it doesn't always work. Sometimes they power up but more often than not they won't. There's doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Had them since 1988 and 1992 and they've been well looked after, I have no idea what's happened.

I'm sure this gave none of you sleepless nights but I thought I report the update.

It was indeed the AC adapters not the consoles like some of you suggested.

I discovered this by shaking the brick part (I forget the correct terminology) of the adapter. It would go on/off intermittently and if I placed it carefully down when it was on I could play fine.

Obviously thats not good so to eBay I went. Ordered one, never turned up, ordered another didn't work at all. Got refunds on both thankfully.

Got another from Chilloutgames in great condition and it works perfectly, so a thumbs up to them from me.

Out of interest does anyone know about the ac adapters workings and why they would develop a fault?

I find it strange that both of mine broke in storage at the same time.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK wrote:
    Aye - my JP model doesn't work with my CRT which only supports NTSC via RGB SCART - I only get a B&W image . It works with my LCD TV but it really doesn't do the old dear any favours. Hoping the warm fuzzy CRT for which the console was designed will give it a helping hand - particularly with Waverace and Star Soldier which look pretty ugly on the LCD.

Whats your N64 collection looking like mate? You got mainly PAL or plenty of NTSC-J ready to go? I take it you plan to go fully Japanese going forward?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have a decent sized collection all CIB - mostly PAL but I have about a dozen JP CIB games now. Some are upgrades to NTSC (F-Zero X, Wetrix, Yoshi's Story, 1080) others are games I avoided due to poor PAL porting or just missed first time around (Waverace, Mario Kart and Excitebike). Have a few JP only games - Star Soldier Vanishing Earth, Tetris64 , Fire Electric Pen and Sin & Punishment.

Fire Electric Pen is one of the most unapologetically tough games I've ever encountered. It's so unfriendly it's actually funny. Worth a google.

Longer term I intend to upgrade most games to NTSC but I might get the US versions where there is a language barrier since the console will work with those too (it only needs a physical mod to the cart port apparently).

JP only wise - I'd still like to get a copy of Bangai-O. I'll always keep a few PAL games and the PAL console for sentimental purposes.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I thought Tetris64 got a PAL release...?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK wrote:
    Longer term I intend to upgrade most games to NTSC but I might get the US versions where there is a language barrier since the console will work with those too (it only needs a physically mod to the cart port apparantly).

It is a piece of piss mate, same as the SNES which I did myself. You just have to cut away some plastic from the internal cart slot.

YouTube will definitely have a diy guide.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    I thought Tetris64 got a PAL release...?

PAL got New Tetris which is a different game. Tetris 64 is by Seta and was definitely under the radar as it was an early JP only release. I actually think it's the better game. Has 4 player support and a pile of modes and options. There isn't much info about it around so many people aren't aware of it. 

It also has a weird bio-sensor mode which involves you clipping a special sensor to your ear and the game sets the speed according to your pulse....

Haven't sourced a bio sensor yet.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Out of interest does anyone know about the ac adapters workings and why they would develop a fault?

I know a man I could ask, and I'm pretty sure I know his answer: an electronics essay.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Longer term I intend to upgrade most games to NTSC but I might get the US versions where there is a language barrier since the console will work with those too (it only needs a physically mod to the cart port apparantly).
    It is a piece of piss mate, same as the SNES which I did myself. You just have to cut away some plastic from the internal cart slot. YouTube will definitely have a diy guide.

It's OK - the modded console I've ordered has that done. I have a bridge adaptor that came with my JP console that does the same job.
  • @Escape haha, fair play mate.

Seems a shame to bin them as I'm not sure if they're fixable?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • @davyK cool
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    I know a man I could ask, and I'm pretty sure I know his answer: an electronics essay.

Isn't an AC adaptor basically an iron core around which electric wire is looped many times? The more loops there are the lower the voltage becomes. I think it works the other way too if you want to step up a voltage (could be wrong there though)

Thing is it generates heat and I suspect over the years it's wear from that.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I preferred the DC version of Bangai-O, and would definitely own it given the chance, probably in my all time top 10. Really must try the remakes at some point, always thought a proper dual analogue rebuild would be amaze

Also Sin and Punishment, not played that in years, quality game, but I'm a bit of a Treasure freak
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I remember the C64 one getting really hot, was huge too.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message

My guess is aged capacitors. You could search for a replacement guide if you fancy having a go.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?8067-Repairing-a-SNES-AC-adapter

One with photos'd be nicer, obviously.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    I preferred the DC version of Bangai-O, and would definitely own it given the chance, probably in my all time top 10. Really must try the remakes at some point, always thought a proper dual analogue rebuild would be amaze

Also Sin and Punishment, not played that in years, quality game, but I'm a bit of a Treasure freak

Love DC Bangai O - I believe the N64 game has different rules re powering up etc so it would be interesting to try it out. Should probably try emulating it I suppose.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I tried Sin & Punishment on Wii VC. It was obvious that the original game needed the N64 controller so I picked it up when a bargain presented itself.
  • I wish they'd make the XBLA Bangai-O HD backwards compatible so I could double check if it really was insanely difficult early on.
  • Escape wrote:

My guess is aged capacitors. You could search for a replacement guide if you fancy having a go.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?8067-Repairing-a-SNES-AC-adapter

One with photos'd be nicer, obviously.

Yeah I can't be arsed unfortunately, I think I'll just bin them. Thanks anyway.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK wrote:
    I tried Sin & Punishment on Wii VC. It was obvious that the original game needed the N64 controller so I picked it up when a bargain presented itself.

If any pad needed a re-release for use with the VC it's the N64 one.

We've had an official means of using the original pads for every Nintendo system with the VC apart from the N64, such a crime.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah. Most N64 games I tried with the VC were OK. The mappings to a classic or classic pro worked well enough - but you knew that an N64 controller would have given a better experience. With S&P it just didn't feel right at all even though I hadn't played the original.
  • Some are better than others, anything that used all 6 face buttons is a mess on VC.

オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!