Retro Gaming
  • In other retro news with the 15% eBay discount flying around I have just purchased a Pandora's Box 5 for £95 I'll update on the quality when it arrives!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I'm thinking about getting a little box for emulation, since taking my whole TV with me anywhere isn't really an option and I've already got a handful of Bluetooth SNES pads.

Is SNES emulation on RetroPie all smooth and accurate? Any chance it does N64 well?
  • SNES is good but N64 is a mess.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Well, I think SNES will do for the money. No N64 at least means I'll save money on buying the relevant 8bitdo pad for that.

Does it have the standard/decent upscaling options for SNES? I'd hate to get it then find out it's only going to do nearest neighbour or trilinear.
  • Hang on, where does the SD card go? I can't see a slot for it on the 3b+ and none of the kits I'm looking at come with a special hat (or whatever it is they've called the board that goes on top) for it.
  • Never mind, I found it - it's on the bottom of the board.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    In other retro news with the 15% eBay discount flying around I have just purchased a Pandora's Box 5 for £95 I'll update on the quality when it arrives!

Nice. Will be keen to hear how that turns out. To be honest even the dodgy ones seem decent enough for the price.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • A mate of mines gone on a bit of a retro spending spree recently. He's just had Time Crisis on the ps1 delivered and the gun works fine on his old CRT tv. He's having problems trying to use it on an new LED tv though, any of you guys tried this out or had similar issues with new tv's or projectors?
  • Light guns basically only work with CRTs I'm afraid.
  • Ah that sucks. Cheers AJ, I'll pass that on.
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    For modern TV light-gun-age you need Wii or a PS3 with those silly looking light bulb controllers.
  • Or a Wii style system. Didn't the Mega Drive light gun use something like that?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    For modern TV light-gun-age you need Wii or a PS3 with those silly looking light bulb controllers.

House of the Dead: Overkill and Dead Space: Extraction are probably worth buying a Wii for, tbh.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I hear Ghost Squad is good but I've not played it. And IIRC you can get the Resi Umbrella Chronicles games on Wii.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • AJ wrote:
    Or a Wii style system. Didn't the Mega Drive light gun use something like that?

Just checked and what I thought was a positioning light was actually an IR receiver because the thing was wireless.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    I hear Ghost Squad is good but I've not played it. And IIRC you can get the Resi Umbrella Chronicles games on Wii.

Ghost Squad is great fun. There are also 2 RE gun games.

HOTD2 & 3 are also on one disc for Wii.

Real pity Virtua Cop didn't get a Wii outing.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Forgot about HotD2&3. Man, I should buy a Wii... Again.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sega also published Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns for Wii on one disc which are earlier poly light gun shooters. Bare bones ports of both games (still 4:3 for example). Mindless and short - but fun and cheap as chips.

Worth bearing in mind that any sort of wiimote shell (even the zapper) makes these games so much more enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J9YeP2xEb0
  • Blue Swirl wrote:

It's great.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK wrote:
    Sega also published Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns

Yep, another good one for Wii.

Links Crossbow Challenge is another worth checking out.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Always thought that the Link Crossbow game was under-rated. It also featured a really nice control method using the nunchuck to move and zoom and the wiimote for aiming - both mounted on the zapper. The hunt and shoot levels using this were excellent.  A full game could have been built on it - it was an option in some of the Wii COD games but more could have been made of it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My 20 year old daughter had a "pre" in our house Saturday for her birthday night out with friends.

A few lads were in the company and their minds were blown by the Asteroids Dx cabinet in the hall. They had never seen anything like it in their lives (quote). Bitter sweet moment for me. 

They also said it was bourgee which I'm told is a compliment - a rough translation being up market or "a rich man's toy".

One naively thought he could beat my 55K high score but evidenced by the high score table (it tracks top 10 but only retains top 3 on power down) their attempts fell somewhat short.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    Just checked and what I thought was a positioning light was actually an IR receiver because the thing was wireless.

Think the SNES gun worked the same way - that ridiculous shoulder mounted thing. I wonder if that would still work on a modern TV then? I assume it would. Some of the tech is probably in the wiimote.
  • davyK wrote:
    They also said it was bourgee which I'm told is a compliment - a rough translation being up market or "a rich man's toy".

Haha! Love it. You are now the bourgeoisie. Keep an eye out for guillotines.
  • davyK wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    AJ wrote:

Think the SNES gun worked the same way - that ridiculous shoulder mounted thing. I wonder if that would still work on a modern TV then? I assume it would. Some of the tech is probably in the wiimote.

Nope, it's the same as the Mega Drive one; just a receiver for the signal, exactly like the IR sensor on a TV. The actual hit detection is still the same as the NES one.
  • poprock wrote:
    davyK wrote:

Haha! Love it. You are now the bourgeoisie. Keep an eye out for guillotines.

Ha ha brilliant, you didn't offer any of your cakes out davy did you?
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh no - they are maturing away for another 3 weeks. Need to feed the cake some Brandy over the next day or two actually.

:)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!