Retro Gaming
  • Soul Calibur was quite a sight back in the day. It was the first time it felt like real arcade power at home.

That was the system seller for me. Bought it for Soul Calibur but found much to love as the games library grew.
  • I remember seeing Ferrari 355 on a demo pod in Playtime in Sheffield and couldn't believe the replay graphics. I had so many fond memories of that console, a golden time of gaming for me.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    PSO ate my life for a while, 1p per minute dial-up at a time. I couldn't play Quake III on Dreamcast at all, though: there was no option to invert the Y axis. Every game was me running around looking at the sky or staring at my feet.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DC had keyboard and mouse control for its FPS games - I found it worked pretty well even though I'm not really into the genre. Outtrigger was a good 'un as it was an arcade FPS.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Oh man, the dial-up bills with Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I loved the Dreamcast. Bought one at launch with my tip money from kitchen jobs. Had Sonic, but it was 2 player Power Stone that made that first few days.

I think I'll feel the same way about the Switch in 20 years.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Well this is quite a thing...

wasn't even aware of it's existence.

batshit mental

g.man
    what the fuck

Keen for Dear Esther 16p deathmatch update then

Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • haha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Syph79 wrote:
    I think I'll feel the same way about the Switch in 20 years.

Mmmmmm. Same.

My launch DC came from the Electronics Boutique in the St Enoch Centre in Glasgow. We traded in our PS1 and everything we had for it towards it, and walked away with the console, two controllers, one VMU, Sonic Adventure, and the promise of more games coming for Xmas from mum and dad not long after. I was 12.

I remember the fact that EB had special big DC-branded plastic bags that the bundle went in. I always thought, and still do, think wee details like that are cool. I remember being mad at my dad cos he wouldn't let me carry it. He was tight as anything and thought we'd get mugged on the way to the car, he was just protecting his mild investment. Silly thinking of it now tbh..

Disaster did in fact strike when we got home and set it up. Sonic Adventure, the game I'd looked forward to for so long, the game that I'd poured over every blurry screenshot of for the past nine months, the realisation of the long held dream I had of "what if sonic was like, super shiny and stuff", the new entry in my fave series (was definitely a dude with attitude growing up)... Didn't work. It crashed every time going from the main hub to the second area, so all we had was the first level, and it's charms worn off quickly.

So the next day we were back in, and got our replacement. The major difference about this trip was dad was with us. Mum was not. My dad always kept a bit of dough hush hush and we knew it, so we got on and on and on at him to buy us another game and we'd just keep it secret from mum. If she came in our room when we were playing it, we'd just say it was a demo. She didn't know any better.

So we chose Dynamite Cop. And proceeded to complete it in half an hour. There were no extras.

The following weekend we were at the Forge Shopping Centre in the east end of town, and took that back and chose Power Stone. I remember vividly listening to the Rangers game on the radio whilst I read the instructions in the back of my dad's Volvo and they were in the retail park shopping somewhere. And the love affair began..

I think I got Soul Calibur that Xmas.

Anyway....
  • It's the only mainstream console I missed.
    I have thought about picking one up but many of the core games have been re-released or had sequels now.

I do wish they would do something with Powerstone though. Switch Powerstone makes so much sense.
    There must be a reason Powerstone hasn't hit another console, some kind of bizarre or lost coding or whatever.
  • Lovely Gav, I enjoy reading recollections like that!

Liv, Powerstone got a release on the PSP randomly so the code must exist somewhere. A remaster would be excellent although for the record I preferred 1 to 2 even though 2 had 4 player shenanigans I found the arenas were not as engaging.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I'd give my left nut for an Outtrigger HD.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • That is a game I bought but could not get any of my mates into and as a result left me playing the single player which was not up to much. Looking back the DC really could have benefitted with a dual analogue to be honest! Playing these now the control feels so alien!
  • Good stuff Gav.  My sister's boyfriend had a launch Jpn machine, which meant I played through, iirc, Sonic Adventure, House of the Dead 2, Sega Rally 2, Dynamite Dekka 2, Jet Set Radio and Soul Calibur early.  

I do have a 'pal' Dreamcast story, which I've definitely told before, so apologies in advance.  I'd just got an £800 tax rebate from Tesco, which aside from being the mostly money I'd ever had at once also coincided with a slight price drop and a Chu-Chu Rocket pack-in, so I suddenly decided that I needed one immediately.  This was late-ish on a Saturday afternoon iirc, and I roped a mate into a trip to Gamestation before they shut.  We were cutting it so fine we had to run for a bus we'd seen caught at the lights (this sounds like we didn't run far but we did).  I was fucked by the time we just made it, and there she was on the bus - the girl who'd chucked me a couple of weeks earlier.  While I was struggling to get my breath back she asked where we were off to ('in such a hurry'), and my mate (as if he'd been waiting his whole life for this opening) said "he's off to buy a Dreamcast" with a massive grin.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    That is a game I bought but could not get any of my mates into and as a result left me playing the single player which was not up to much. Looking back the DC really could have benefitted with a dual analogue to be honest! Playing these now the control feels so alien!

All I ever played was single player, but it was stupid addictive. Also beat CoD to a kill confirmed play mode by several years.

Had forgotten about the cack handed controls. Movement on the face buttons and look on the left analogue stick. How I managed that but not Quake III I'll never know.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm ashamed to say my DC story is one of a vulture.

I loved the look of the games. It's demo pods generated real buzz. Ready 2 Rumble looked outrageously good. I remember seeing Virtua Tennis running and was gobsmacked.

For too long I looked at the games on the shelf but the timing was all wrong - I had just bought a new house that needed work and the funds just were not there.

Late 2001 it was for sale in Argos with its implosion in full swing. I picked it up half price in the January sale - £50 for the pack with VT3tb, MSR and Ecco with a 2nd controller. Went 'round the corner to GAME and got a VMU.

Even at that price it was a controversial purchase. Wifey was livid but I weathered the storm.

I was able to build up a really nice library of games on the sly as the games prices were ridiculously low and my collection is still largely based on my harvesting of that time. It has since been bolstered by offloads in places such Cash Converters before it became an attractive proposition and prices started to go up.

I have 2 of them. One with VGA on a LCD Sony, 1 with RGB SCART on CRT. 4 arcade sticks. 2 wheels. 2 keyboards and a full complement of controllers and a pile of official VMUs in a selection of colours. After getting a boot disc I have also dipped into its import library with beauties such as Cosmic Smash. I have also picked up a few indie games such as Sturmwind.

It was also the first console that let me experience 60Hz gaming. The scales fell away and ever since I have been converting my collection from PAL to NTSC.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm all for the idea but at £15.99 or whatever price they'd appear at I'd probably only buy one of those from the main list (MSR) and one from the honourable mentions (Chu Chu).
  • Keep the DC chat going please but just noted this on eBay:
    It is immaculate:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/113392571580
  • I've always found the level of love the Dreamcast gets bewildering.
  • DC was a standard setting groundbreaking console. You had to be there....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    I've always found the level of love the Dreamcast gets bewildering.

Get this lad out of here and to Arsenal FC
  • Arsenals-Patrick-Vieira-and-Ton-Adams-launch-Dreamcast-in-2000.jpg

It's no even a 2-player game. And their times up. Fucking amateurs.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Keep the DC chat going please but just noted this on eBay:
    It is immaculate:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/113392571580

Awesome.
    AJ wrote:
    I've always found the level of love the Dreamcast gets bewildering.

Ban request.

• I loved my DC.  Just had that usung hero vibe about it.

F355 with a wheel was amazing.
    MSR with it's radio tracks and maps was brilliant.  I spent some time comparing it to a London A-Z.
    Quake III with mouse and joypad (preferred the dpad over the keyboard for movement)

And the biggest thing for me - it allowed 50/60Hz options.  No more importing consoles.
  • Eric wrote:
    Keep the DC chat going please but just noted this on eBay: It is immaculate: [url=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/113392571580
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/113392571580[/quote[/url]]

Isn't it all reproduction packaging?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Originally had absolutely no knowledge or interest in the Dreamcast before getting one, but it went on to become one of my absolute favourites. 

It was the run-up to Christmas 2001, and as my brother and I were staunch N64 boys we had been devouring every little morsel of news about the Gamecube. It had released in Japan in September, but the UK wasn't set to see it until the following summer. Our local indie shop, the sadly-departed CA Games, carried chipped NTSC 'cubes and ran enticing attract screen demos from them on one of their tellies all day long. We were desperately begging our mum to consider getting us one rather than wait the extra 8 months for it to release here, which would have been a ridiculous cash outlay in hindsight, but you don't really have a concept of that when you're 11.

Come Christmas day, we went to unwrap the big boxes in a giddy frenzy, only to be greeted with a brand new Dreamcast alongside a pair of controllers, VMUs, and four games (Virtua Fighter 3, Worms World Party, Sonic Adventure 2, and Phantasy Star Online). After patiently explaining that there was no chance she was dropping that much money on an import Gamecube, she told us to plug in and enjoy this instead. 

What an amazing Christmas that was. And I'm fairly sure the phone bills I ran up playing Phantasy Star Online in the following months dwarfed the price she would have paid for that Gamecube many times over. Woops.
  • Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, Powerstone, Chu Chu Rocket, Space Channel 5, Cosmic Smash, MSR. The Dreamcast had great games which were largely exclusives. I reckon it was pretty much Sega’s second golden age (the first being in the arcades).
  • Fightmans were awesome on it too Capcom, Namco and SNK showed it some real love.
  • Eric wrote:
    Keep the DC chat going please but just noted this on eBay: It is immaculate: [url=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/113392571580
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/113392571580[/quote[/url]]

Isn't it all reproduction packaging?

Ha ha, it is! That will teach me to read the description before posting. It does all look very shiny!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!