Retro Gaming
  • At the risk of irrational arguments I'll post this here and see how it goes down:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/12/guide_every_nintendo_console_ranked_from_worst_to_best

1. Switch
    2. SNES
    3. GC
    4. N64
    5. 3DS
    6. Wii U
    7. DS
    8. Wii
    9. GBA
    10. GB
    11. NES
    12. GBC
    13. VB

Something there's little chance on any of us agreeing on but you know how we love to argue over a good old list. Bit odd putting Switch at the top already.

Sod it, I'm bored at work:

1. SNES
    2. NES
    3. N64
    4. 3DS
    5. Wii
    6. Wii U
    7. GC
    8. DS
    9. GB
    10. GBA
    11. GBC
    12. VB

and whilst I'm at it:

Sega:
    1. MD
    2. MS
    3. DC
    4. Saturn
    5. MCD
    6. GG
    7. 32X

Sony:
    1. 3
    2. One
    3. 2
    4. PSP
    5. Vita

Atari:
    1. VCS
    2. Jag
    3. Lynx
    4. 7800
    5. 5200

MS:
    1. XBOX
    2. 360
    3. One

Not sure on PS4 or Switch yet.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK wrote:
    Oldbox games I'd initially look at:- PD Orta Outrun C2C - have this on PS2 but it's supposed to be optimal on Oldbox Fusion Frenzy - 4 player same room Mashed Not into FPS games or 3D roamarounds. What Sega games did it get?

Outrun C2C is getting very pricey on Xbox but it's a game that could be found cheap as I don't think many people realise it's getting expensive.
  • Is it now? I've got it on all three formats. It was just too glorious on that 16:9 psp screen. And somehow have two PS2 copies.

OG Xbox though. First game was JSRF, and being a huge (and at that time bitter) DC fan meant I was hooked from the get go. UNDERSTAND! UNDERSTAND!
  • Wii U could be higher for me.

1. SNES
    2. Wii U
    3. Gamecube
    4. NES
    5. GBA

That would be my top five of Nintendo consoles.
  • I’d put the GBA SP at number one. The final form of the GBA, and the moment Ninty perfected it.
  • Wii let you play loads of systems from the 80's and 90's and therefore has to win?
  • Time splitters 2 was great four player on the GC

1. SNES - such a variety of games and also huge 3rd party support
    2. 3DS - so many creative new games and also the quality of graphics were such a step up from the ds. Some of the best in series on this machine (MK7/Ocarina/LTTP 2 etc)
    3. N64 - Games which are still brilliant now (Ocarina/Goldeneye/ISS2000)
    4. Switch - BoTW probably best game i've played ever, decent mazza games, love it's portability - has replaced my 3ds
    5. GB -  huge catalogue, amazing playable games to make up for the graphical capabilities
    6. DSLite - great library of games, the lite was a perfect machine by then. Had games like ouendan which put it above the GBA for me. 
    7. Wii U - Only because i've so many good memories of playing it with my daughter
    8. GC - Sytem of my uni days, only really played Time Splitters 2, MKDD and sunshine
    9. GBA - poor handware till the later versions but huge catalogue of games and third party esp rpgs like the snes
    10. Wii - owned it late, many of the directions the games in franchises went I wasn't a fan but I do recognise it's appeal
    11. NES - decent machine but games were so hard back then :( 
    12. GC - waste of time
    13. VB - waste of space (albeit good resale value)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • poprock wrote:
    I’d put the GBA SP at number one. The final form of the GBA, and the moment Ninty perfected it.

GBA was my favourite Nintendo console pre Switch.  Switch is my new Vita, which is probably my favourite Sony console (that or PS4).  Indie games and handhelds ftw.
  • og DS was ugly!
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Nice list mk64, I especially like the write up of the bottom two. Definitely the worst imo and you summed them up perfectly.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • You people are mad, GC was awesome.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    GC being a waste of time is harsh.

Monkey Ball, F-Zero GX, WarioWare Inc., Pacman Vs. , cell shaded Zelda, Donkey Konga , Beach Spikers, gorgeous updates of Mario Tennis, Golf, Kart etc. make me say it was swish.

Also Wavebird.

Edit : just realised GC at 8 AND 12...! Explain yourself young man!
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I assume he meant GBC, which is largely a waste of time (and batteries).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ah - fair enough.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • To be fair other than the SNES the Wii U has been the only console I've really got on with. There were some good games for the GC but owning an Xbox at the time meant that most of the multiplats were better and I could get bootlegs from Gray Mare Lane Market!

Still, Winning Eleven 6 on my GC was probably my most played game ever back then
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Shout out to the GC carry handle.
  • Wii U has arguably the best 1st/2nd party lineup of any of their consoles.
  • yeah the latter GC is GBC. 

Shout out to the DS for being backwards compatible too
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Wii U has arguably the best 1st/2nd party lineup of any of their consoles.

You could argue that, but you'd be wrong. ;)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Sony: 1. 3 2. One 3. 2 4. PSP 5. Vita

I can fix this:
    Sony.
    1. One.
    2. 2.
    3. PSP.
    4. Vita.
    5. Being punched in the fuck.
    6. PS3.

Though the One remains the only Sony machine I'd call myself a fan of. And let's be honest, the PS3 was an overpriced omnishambles.

IMHO, YMMV. ;)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Oh, and "why is system X so low on list Y?" comes down to the fundamental problem of lists. Nintendo's hardware releases have (again, IMHO YMMV) in general been excellent, but something has to come at the bottom of the list. There are bands who've released nothing but albums that I like, but if I was to put them in a list, at least one album I like would have to be rated "worst".
  • I think there's a difference between what's best at the time and what's better years down the line. For example, at the time I'd put 360 above PS3 without hesitation. But if I now had to get rid of one of them, it'd be the 360 as it's got more things I want but can't get elsewhere: Ico HD, Noby Noby Boy, the proper version of Journey...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    If we're consigning systems to Room 101, I'd put the PS3 in before the 360. Yes there are some interesting exclusives on the PS3, but binning the 360 means binning Halo 3, and for me that's up there with Ocarina of Time and Metroid Prime. To dispose of that would be sacrilege.
  • Is the 360 version of Halo 3 better than the Master Chief Collection one then?
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    let's be honest, the PS3 was an overpriced omnishambles.

IMHO, YMMV. ;)

Like you say opinions and all but my reason is...

360 was well on the way to being in my top 5 ever consoles but 3 RRoD's within a year layed waste to that.

After that my PS3, which up until that point I only had MGS4, Uncharted and Motorstorm on as far as I remember took over big style.

This coincided with the slim launch, which was more of a re-release of the system than a mere new model, and a huge reason why it became an eventual success.

After that I think the only 360 game I got was a Halo or two before Bungie jumped ship, which I subconsciously did not long after.

All those great third party games I wanted that gen were all on PS3 along with all the great exclusives.

Now I find myself firmly in camp Sony despite having little love for the all conquering PS2 in face of the original XBOX.

So yeah, basically I get the impression anyone who doesn't love the PS3 loved the 360 instead. Makes sense as they're depressingly similar imo, you only really need one. A far cry from the PS2/XBOX days let alone the awesomeness of the 90s.

On that note I'm still waiting for MS to give me a reason to by an XOne. Sadly it looks like it'll be the first time I've passed on a mainstream console.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The problems with PS3 were that all but one or two games run worse and it has a complete n bastard of a controller that's physically painful to use. The home screen background was lovely though.
  • AJ wrote:
    I think there's a difference between what's best at the time and what's better years down the line. For example, at the time I'd put 360 above PS3 without hesitation. But if I now had to get rid of one of them, it'd be the 360 as it's got more things I want but can't get elsewhere: Ico HD, Noby Noby Boy, the proper version of Journey...

Perfectly put, and I think the best way to judge these systems is 'at the time'.

Otherwise it's an easy win for Wii, and we'd all rather have a Virtual Boy than a PSone which is obviously BS.

Systems should only be judge on their own library.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • AJ wrote:
    The problems with PS3 were that all but one or two games run worse and it has a complete n bastard of a controller that's physically painful to use. The home screen background was lovely though.

I know deep down your right but they weren't the days of MD Madden > SNES where you only have to glance at them to see the difference.

I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference between Assassins Creed II on a PS3 or 360 Pepsi challenge style for example, so tbh this never bothered me. Especially seeing as the console itself never broke.

As far as the pad goes I find it strange people loved that design on one and 2 but then decided it was hand crippling on 3 for some reason. I foe one still prefer that design to the PS4 pad.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Something that might be of interest to Davy:

Issue 4, Page 30
  • Nah, the PS4 pad is the best Sony have made. It's still outclassed by both Microsoft and Nintendo's efforts, but it's a vast improvement. Prior to that, they'd just been sticking more bits on a SNES pad and not properly thought about the ergonomics.

The reason nobody complained previously is because the general state of controllers wasn't so that great. The a GameCube and Xbox S were where things really started to improve, then MS knocked it out of the park with the 360. Sony stuck with an outdated design because of the reaction they got when they tried to do something different. The banana pad would probably have been far better than the DS3.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!