Retro Gaming
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd avoid importing from anywhere at the minute while the Covid19 is affecting things. I've received emails from JP ebay sellers about arrangements for items caught in mid delivery when lockdown hit. I was lucky as the few games I had ordered at the time had arrived.

I'd stick with UK sellers for the time being.

I fancy one myself but it's a bit of a minefield with a lot of cheap knock offs about.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • There are loads of knock offs as far as Pandora's go I think the last official one was 5, the rest from 5s are just knock offs poorly built with loads more games.

The stock stocks sticks that came with mine worked fine plus came with a four way gate for puzzlers which I though was pretty cool. I eventually switched mine to sanwas (absolute doddle) for the fightman's and you can tell the difference, but only looking back.

I bought mine from ebay, I'll have a look and see who from...

Edit can't get far enough back my phone app to tell.

Here's a video that runs through the various versions. Mine is the one that comes in at number 5 which sounds like it is the last official one

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Seems like a minefield that's going to require a fair amount of research, thanks.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Amazon.co.uk have a selection too. The Pandora 5 is out of stock though.
  • Dumb question the Pandoras box is the two stick setup (erics video) with ROMs preloaded and they are arcade roms? Not home system roms?

Thought of having one is tempting...
  • Some of the knock offs seem to have home system roms pre-loaded.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Proper ones have the arcade ROMS.

I'd rather have 50 good ones done right than 1000 done with half baked emulation and wrong sounds.
  • Yep I've got various devices for console stuff, arcade roms with arcade sticks is the draw for me here.
  • Hopefully they're stocked to the gills with scrolling beat em ups.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Hopefully they're stocked to the gills with scrolling beat em ups.

They seem to focus on versus fighting, scrolling beat em ups, shmups and puzzle games.

I suppose that is typical arcade fayre. :)
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The proper one (I think) has a usb output so you could simply ignore the internal emulation and use it as a controller for existing emu methods as well
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yep you can use mine on a Pi and a PS3. Not tried it on my 360 yet but that would be great!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Yep I've got various devices for console stuff, arcade roms with arcade sticks is the draw for me here.

Same here. Only want arcade roms to re-live a misspent youth. This video is interesting as there are fake pandora boxes outhere that dont have a fan on the MB and glitch out and overheat.

Also cool that you can plug these into ps3 / ps4 and use them as controllers for games.

Looks like there is a 3A games pandora 6 out with 1300 roms. Nuts.

https://youtu.be/kYW230SvZ6k

• Eric wrote:
    Cheers for that davy I'll take a look at 2.
    If you have the time this guy goes through all 960 games:

Note they are ordered by game category so vs fighters first, scrolling beat em ups, shmps and puzzlers etc.

If you have less time this guy just flicks through the 96 pages of games so you can pause on the ones that interest you. This is also my actual system although I did upgrade to sanwa sticks:

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. The scan line generator and smoothing filter options are horrible so I turn those off and stick it through my OSSC scan line generator which gives a lovely effect. For less than £100 I'm pretty happy tbh.

Vs fighters dont interest me. Scrolling fighters however though. Plus the shooters and the various bobble bubble like games ala snow bros etc. I want one of these. Then i just need to have a friend to play these with :(

Didnt see Ninja Baseball Bat Man on the list. Thats a fun scrolling beat em up.
  • The megacade HQ cabinet with 4 player setup looks awesome.

https://youtu.be/BM0IFeSRwqg
  • OK playing through davys recommendations and In The Hunt is glorious. It must have been a real head turner in 1993, can't believe I've never heard of it before. Has a 2 player mode too so will try and get my son involved and one I'll definitely revisit.

UN squadron plays nicely and seems decent although things get a bit busy and you can lose your ship in the explosions.

Surprise of the night went to a game called Esp Ra.De which I have never heard of before but noted it was made by Cave which is usually a good sign. Released in 98 it plays really nicely and probably the pick of the lot for me. Its bullet hell sort of stuff but with unlimited continues that doesn't phase me. Don't think I'll be 1ccing it though.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Funny...that was a cave game i only recently found myself in a pack of mame roms.lt's splendid stuff. I got it confused with espgaluda which is a great one too. There's several cave games in that list and you will find them compulsive if you spend any time with them. Even the ones that don't grab you initially show their quality and get their hooks into you....a real quality outfit cave.
  • In the Hunt is the sort of game you could never use magazines of the day to accurately get a bead on in terms of quality.   Pretty sure the Saturn version received scores in the region of 55%, but I presume it was a decent port (of a decent game).

Retroking playing Streetfighter: The Movie recently made me think of this - perception of possibly decent or half-decent games that were skewed by generation jumps, because simplistic experiences weren't in demand vs pushing things forward.  Flicky on MD, Gunner's Heaven on Playstation, something like Keio Flying Squadron 2 on Saturn perhaps, or even late-gen efforts on older consoles like, I dunno, Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel not offering the bells and whistles required to make a splash in 1994.  Golden Axe: The Duel was probably a better game than Toshinden, but most of us played the 3D fighter instead, right? 

Story of Thor 2 on Saturn is a near-forgotten Sega sequel, I had it and it was good, but it barely made a ripple at the time, presumably because it wasn't chucking polygons around.
  • Case in point: I played Metal Head A LOT on my 32X, and I rated it as a pretty good game at the time.  Let's take a few seconds to have a quick look at Hetal Head...

This is what I was playing instead of Ristar and Comix Zone.
  • It's a really good point Moot. I was randomly interviewed once at Meadowhall arcade by Arcade magazine probably in 1998 and I bemoaned that 2D fighter reviews were getting slighted however good they were because they weren't in 3D.

They printed it in the mag (and my question does come across as completely random) but responded with a dismissive one word answer and moved on to the next question.
  • Ha ha. Metal Head looks terrible.

Like you say I bet there are loads of games that were just seen as derivitive just because they weren't 3D. Pretty sure I loved Rapid Reload which was a Gunstar Heroes clone on the Ps1 which got universally panned at the time.
  • Eric wrote:
    It's a really good point Moot. I was randomly interviewed once at Meadowhall arcade by Arcade magazine probably in 1998 and I bemoaned that 2D fighter reviews were getting slighted however good they were because they weren't in 3D. They printed it in the mag (and my question does come across as completely random) but responded with a dismissive one word answer and moved on to the next question.

Neil West was so eager to steer the ship north the magazine went south.
  • Rapid Reload was Gunner's Heaven in Jpn iirc.  I've never played it, but it's on my long list of 32-bit games I missed that I'd like to try (Silhouette Mirage is top, followed by Astal).
  • What was the one word answer btw?
  • I'll dig it out but sure it was 'ok'
  • Esp.Ra.De is great, played it a fair bit on Mame at Uni, that and Total Carnage were my go to's for a fun blast.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Retroking playing Streetfighter: The Movie recently made me think of this - perception of possibly decent or half-decent games that were skewed by generation jumps, because simplistic experiences weren't in demand vs pushing things forward.

NBA Hangtime on the N64 is another.

4-Player NBA Jam FFS. At the time though made sense that no one cared.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Eric wrote:
    I'll dig it out but sure it was 'ok'

The Maximum lads wouldn't have mugged you off like that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    PS1 got a host of 2D shmup ports that were JP only releases. Most of them were damn good - it wasn't only Saturn that was good at 2D - but they suffered the same fate as their Saturn cousins.

Gradius Gaiden was the best in the series at the time, and still rivals even the glorious Gradius V - but I had never heard of it until a few years ago.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!