Currently Playing
  • I defeated it. As with all bosses in that game you won the minute you used Zoom and Red Hot One Hundred.

I can't remember if Midnight Thunderboy or Fire Leo came before or after that section but they were top tier Capcom bosses.
  • i'm ploding through Oot, just past the forest temple. Its tricky stuff and pretty intense. I am actually finding myself physically relaxing after defeating a boss in a tense battle.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    i'm ploding through Oot, just past the forest temple. Its tricky stuff and pretty intense. I am actually finding myself physically relaxing after defeating a boss in a tense battle.

I just played this through recently and was impressed by how good it still is. I try to be cynical regarding rose tinted glasses but having played it more or less back-to-back with Skyward Sword it's just blatantly far superior in every conceivable way. Much better structure, much more imaginative environments. Dark Link in the Water Temple is a cheap cunt, though.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • shhh, no spoilers!! hehe. out of interest did you replay it on the n64 or 3ds?

I saw a speedrun on the n64 and the 3ds makes the game look so much better. Not taking away from anything at the time though, it must've looked incredible.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I played it on the N64. I found it when we moved house and only meant to play the first five minutes or so just to see if it still worked. Ended up getting right to the end.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Nostalgia wins ten fold over what they did with the 3DS version.

@Brooks - Yeah Anniversary is an unjustly overlooked gem. As JonB mentioned, the level design is exceptional, with an amazing sense of scale - the game actually does what it says on the box. There's also little hand holding and some genuinely challenging platforming. Great musical score as you say, that faithfully to the original knows when to shut up. One of my favourite games to play mashed, a joy to just get lost in its atmospheric tombs. Shame the last lot of levels are terrible though, it should have ended with the Egyptian section.
  • Did you play it with grab on auto or manual?
  • Auto I must confess, mostly due to not wanting the added stress when in a relaxed state. I actually forgot you had to hold down X to grab the ledge in the original. Will give it a try. It's great that Crystal Dynamics allow you to turn off the hint system too.
  • Aye, and yet there's still a couple really neat contextual clues, like when Croft grabs a ledge one-handed or wobbles and yells on top a pole, you know you have to press Y to stop from plummetting.

Also is it me or is there absolutely no gore in this thing, not even little blood clouds?
  • Oh yeah and with practice you can usually anticipate when that will be necessary by judging jump distance. Have you managed to find many of the artifacts and relics? Also, what do you make of the swimming mechanic?
  • Haven't really been fucked with the treasure hunting, I doubt it unlocks anything desperately valuable.

Swimming's kind of awkward, but it hasn't thwarted me yet. That stated, I'm nowhere near where I'm expecting there to be some kind of crocodile action and that could fuck my shit in the ass.
  • Yeah the collectibles aren't important, but can be lots of fun to look for due to some crafty hiding.

Swimming does take some getting used to, but again, they really captured the feeling of the original when you're submerged and actually embraced it more when incorporating into puzzle design. Why are videogames so apprehensive when its comes to water these days?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Sonic Heroes

Utterly abysmal.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Why do you do this to yourself?
  • @redeye give yourself pink eye instead, you'll suffer less.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Wait, Tomb Raider Anniversary is different to the OG?! WHY DID I NOT KNOW THIS??? I have such fond memories of TR, specially the great atmosphere and soundtrack. 

I have Anniversary somewhere. Should play it soon.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeah it's a lot more Sands of Time.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I feel like giving the first Splinter Cell a go as it's been on my Steam list for ages. Only ever played Conviction, which I loved. So i'm expecting great things and coming out of the experience hating Conviction like everyone else does.
  • I loved Splinter Cell. It was perfect for playing late at night with the lights off and a spliff on the go.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Wa hey this is difficult for a first mission trying to go all stealth. Liking it.
  • So I bought a few games on sale yesterday.

Just Cause 2: Why did I buy this? I'm sure some people around here have said that it was a good laugh. I recall trying the demo and being impressed by the oot action, and stealing cars and whatnot, but jesus, there's some glaring issues with that grapple mechanic, and the shooting is ropey as fuck, and the opening tute mission is terrible. And, JESUS FUCK, I' know it's not robinson crusoe on this point, but cut scenes for everything in the opening section nearly made me switch off in the first 2 minutes.
     Wouldn't it be much fucking cooler if that skydive section was just continuous in game? Surely? I may try and push on until stuff's a bit more open and see if I can stomach it, but I doubt it.

Bulletstorm: It's funny, when you fire up multiple games in the same day, you really notice tropes. Still, this is evidence that it's still possible to make a passable game even with a tute section and lots of cuts at the beginning. I'd still like there to be a better way, but at the end of the day, this has nice tight controls, some very cool mechanics, and looks really rather awesome and crisp. Campaign may end up dragging a little, but I'm sure the echoes will have me coming back. For $20, win.

deblob 2: See above re opening. Still, it's a shame the guys who made this went under. I know it's a kids game, but it's crisp and bright and really quite fun. $9, second hand. Which is the sort of thing that probably contributed to the company going under. Sorry guys.

Camera is a little funky, and some of the movement is a little flakey, but it's also unbelievably forgiving, so you know, whatevs.

Was tempted to nab dirt 2 as well. JC2 may go back for that.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Rented Halo Anniversary. Trying to blast through a legendary run before handing it back. It's still fantastic and I love switching back to the original graphics with a touch of a button.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Facewon - I don't get the JC love either.
  • Just Cause 2 was brilliant, stick with it!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    jaust cause is just a bit of fun if you play it for fun.
    i used it to relax after some dark/demons souls hard times.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Wunderputt
    My best score is 61480
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Sonic Heroes

Still utter agony.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Heroes of Ruin.

JOIN ME IN DIABLO ON THE GO
  • 25125-1302047754.jpg
    Strania The Stella Machina on XBLA really threw me and iirc the first opinions in the Shmup thread were frosty, but this game is slowly revealing itself to be a future classic. The more time I devote to this game, the more I enjoy it. It's just so polished, the music compliments the gameplay and the very retro 80's Japanese anime visuals, and the difficulty level is spot on. A slow burner. Love it. Despite Senko no Ronde, G-Rev still have it.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • I will get back to it. I'm finding just not switching on my 360 anymore, being content with the quick shmup and puzzler blasts on iOS. Once I have more time, gonna give Strania a go. As well as some Sine Mora.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!