We Hate Adverts
  • I'm not exactly sure how ad blocker works. Do video hosting platforms know when one is being used, and deduct that view count from what the content maker would have been paid?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well sites certainly know if you're using an ad blocker.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Well sites certainly know if you're using an ad blocker.

Not exactly true. Sites can try and run specific actions which they would expect to be blocked by an ad blocker and test whether they work, but it isn’t a foolproof system.
    I'm not exactly sure how ad blocker works. Do video hosting platforms know when one is being used, and deduct that view count from what the content maker would have been paid?

Payments don’t work that way, the advertiser knows whether their advert has been shown and pays based on that.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    How much of an ad do you have to watch for them to get revenue?
  • Kow wrote:
    How much of an ad do you have to watch for them to get revenue?

30 seconds, or all of it if less
  • Would it be possible to make an ad blocker that loads/registers the ad but then doesn't show me?

Maybe just highlighting how little I understand of this stuff.

I can empathise with content-making people wanting to get paid but I honestly don't care anywhere near enough to expose myself to adverts for the cause.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't watch any Youtubers but when I'm showing sprog a Peppa Pig clip I don't feel much need to sit through a twenty second ad for some shite toy. Neither Peppa Co. nor Google are desperately in need of ad revenue from me.
  • Every so often I use Youtube on the mobile, and am reminded how fucking awful Youtube is with ads. I cannot go back to that being my internet consumption reality.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Would it be possible to make an ad blocker that loads/registers the ad but then doesn't show me?

Potentially, but then ad companies would just find a new way to track views.

Adblockers and advertisers are in a never-ending arms race.
  • It's not even the downtime so much as the blast of unfiltered smarm I'm subjected to in any commercial. I am aesthetically offended, the worst offence.
  • If you want me to buy your shit you need to at least be a bit sneaky about it, like quietly seeding niche communities with human-faced stories of problem solving and dialogue and and
  • I think there are now only a handful of youtubers who can make a reasonable living off ad revenue because youtube keep weighting returns towards the very, very top end of channels. People like pewdie pie and that 7 year old toy reviewer.

Liking, subscribing and the bell make a huge difference hence so many still pushing it.
    Most though seem to be reliant on Patreon and side revenue like merchandise, in video promotions, sponsored vids, appearances or Twitch.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Would it be possible to make an ad blocker that loads/registers the ad but then doesn't show me?

Maybe just highlighting how little I understand of this stuff.

I can empathise with content-making people wanting to get paid but I honestly don't care anywhere near enough to expose myself to adverts for the cause.

Maybe something like a modified pi-hole, that resolves ad requests in the background but doesn't show them, so technically they are still "viewed", but not noticeable to the user?
  • If you pay 15 quid a month to take ads off YouTube and watch a Linus video it still contains at least three adverts as part of the content.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    If you pay 15 quid a month to take ads off YouTube and watch a Linus video drink Bro Bomb — all the energy, all the time — it still contains at least three adverts as part of the content.

Is the UFC commentary way, which I think is the worst of all.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    If you pay 15 quid a month to take ads off YouTube and watch a Linus video it still contains at least three adverts as part of the content.

WTF

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm just waiting for ad makers to figure out that they can use the phone's camera and eye detection to insist that you keep your eyes on the ad for its duration.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Don’t give em ideas… they are listening
  • b0r1s wrote:
    If you pay 15 quid a month to take ads off YouTube and watch a Linus video it still contains at least three adverts as part of the content.

WTF

Not sure what you’re wtf ing but it’s totally worth it to remove ads and get YT music.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I meant that is still has ads but I see you mean just ads the publisher has created in their content. I still think it’s far too expensive. I don’t care about YT music and £11.99 is far too expensive to remove ads.
  • b0r1s wrote:

WTF

I'm assuming that's the same as paying for Spotify and removing Spotify ads, but you still get sponsors on individual podcasts.
    SFV - reddave360
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I meant that is still has ads but I see you mean just ads the publisher has created in their content. I still think it’s far too expensive. I don’t care about YT music and £11.99 is far too expensive to remove ads.

Yeah for me the calculation has a couple of things - firstly it covers my and my partners accounts - YT music is a good enough substitute for Apple Music and if you get rid of ads you’ll see why it was so necessary to get rid of them. When I watch clips on Twitter or Sky now the irritation goes through the roof.

• I've said this before but I don't really care about ads on YouTube, they're either skippable by the time I reach the controller (particularly now I have to switch the fucker on) or last 20 seconds at most, in which case I scroll this place. I just don't care tbh.
  • I watched a near 2hr video the other week and I think it had 2 ads in it. Highly inconvenient I know.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The place I really don't like ads is on YouTube when my kid is watching Gecko's Garage or something like that, where it pops up ads for all sorts of unsuitable things. He's learned how to skip but they're still a pain in the hole
  • That I can understand. Don't know why but I thought kids YouTube (that is a thing isn't it?) didn't have ads.
  • Don't know why I thought that if it isn't the case.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There is a kids' YouTube but I don't want to make him an account, and I presume it also has ads, but for even worse stuff like toys etc.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Kids YouTube is a thing, not sure if it has adds or not, but its content is limited.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!