Review Scores and Bo Derek. Do you trust any publications reviews?
  • I hoped this read would be funnier, wheres the aruing!!!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    The what?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Fuck this keyboard!!!
    Aruing
  • Arguing!!!!!

kill me.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    lul
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Hulka T wrote:
    I hoped this read would be funnier, wheres the aruing!!!

Who says there's no arguing?
    I got your arguing right here..

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • apologies for derailing the thread, but i don't have any gifs to post so...

i would still take note of an edge 10, it would prob convince me to buy a game if i was already pretty keen on it, and it would raise interest in a title i maybe wasn't that interested in beforehand, but i wouldn't just go out and buy it on their say so either.  i think the earlier 10s were pretty much cast iron classics, but some of the latter ones maybe less deserving in my opinion.  but in general edge reviews matter much less to me, often even games that get a 9 don't really flag up with me anymore if i flick through the mag, but a 10 is still something i'd pay attention to and at least then consider it.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    An EDGE 10 means nothing to me, absolutely no guarantee that I will even look at the game, but what an EDGE 10 does is garner more publicity for the magazine.

With regard to The Last Of Us it is quite clear that they couldn't generate column inches for themselves by giving it a 7 so an 8 or 9 would have had no mention from other gaming sites, how do they get around this?

They simply give it a 10 knowing that for all the Last Of Us news EDGE will also be mentioned.

I'm willing to bet that GTA V gets a 7 or a 10, EDGE want to make the stories as much about them as they do the games so the best way to achieve this is to jump on the coat-tails of the big hitters and they can only do this by gushing praise or being scathing.

I never thought I'd wish I'd seen TL close something down...
  • Or maybe the reviewer who played it thought it worthy of a 10? Imagine that.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    OH 10P STOP TALKING ROBBISH
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Or maybe the reviewer who played it thought it worthy of a 10? Imagine that.
    EDGE have already been proven to use different scores to what the reviewer gave, if what you said was the case then I don't think anybody would argue but EDGE have been guilty of some pretty shocking scoring regardless of whether it was an individual or an editor's alteration.
  • Not for every review though, you'd have to be incredibly cynical to believe every score is just to court controversy. Maybe they do just sometimes score stuff what they feel appropriate. Again, imagine that. Ridiculous!
  • Ten out of Ten-py

Scores are ridic now, and it's a double edged sword of having to include them to get on Metacritic and stand out to drive traffic, because Metacritic is now for some reason the be-all-and-end-all of arbitration.

You could be cynical and say that's why Dead Island got a 3, FFXIII a 5, etc, but, honestly, who gives a shit?

When have you ever, ever discussed a game and brought up in defence of your point "Well, EDGE gave it a 10, QED, this game is good." And if you have, I'm sure the other person laughed in your face or you were 12 years old or both.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    EDGE wasn't out when I was 12.
  • Games weren't out when I was 12 ffs.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I like this thread.

And no, I haven't gone by what a publication/website as scored the game I'm interested in for a long time.  I use them as a guide, wait for my brother to buy the game and then borrow it from him when he's done with it.

Reviews are arse.  Bayonetta a 10?  Lol.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Or maybe the reviewer who played it thought it worthy of a 10? Imagine that.

I thought that Edge tens (and possibly all of their other scores) were agreed by the editorial team rather than simply one reviewer deciding that a game is worth a ten. I'm sure I've read them talking about the discussions around whether Halo was awarded a ten, for instance. This was part of the reason I used to trust them more than others.
  • Halo should never, ever be awarded a 10.  What's so refreshing and innovative about it?  Nothing.  It's a bunch of humans and a super human fighting against aliens in a lame environment.

But that's for another thread.

EDGE got it spot on with Dead Island though.
  • "Plan wrote:

If reviews are arse, you then dont get to say lol at a percieved "incorrect" score.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Name me an FPS that came out after Halo that didn't rip off at least one (most nicked two, three or even all four) of its core innovations (recharging shield/health, two weapon limit, balanced weapon set rather than the old-skool pistol - AR - shotgun - rockets progression, always available grenades/melee/gun rather than having to switch between different weapons opening up a whole new set of tactics that didn't involve circle-strafing).
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Games weren't out when I was 12 ffs.
    You're older than G.Man and me?
  • Fentonizer wrote:
    "Plan wrote:
    If reviews are arse, you then dont get to say lol at a percieved "incorrect" score.

Well I do because I feel that they're arse.  Hence the Lol.
  • What if a game you like gets a review you agree with?
  • Tempy wrote:
    What if a game you like gets a review you agree with?

Then that's just coincidence.
  • My tongue is firmly in cheek though Temps.

Reviews are needed and the industry would be boring without them.  I just feel that certain websites/publications try too hard to be different than the majority these days, hence EDGE giving Baynotta a 10.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Hello Anarchy Reigns (6). Liking a low scoring game is like the feeling of content you get when helping disabled children.
  • But the review for Bayonetta praises its mechanics for being deeper than any other game of its genre, and our own Rocko is still playing it to this day, due to the ridiculous amount of high end content and inpossibly lofty skill ceiling. It wasn't scored that to court controversy, just like someone saying GT2 or whatever is a 10. I'll never agree because I don't get racing games, but wouldn't suggest they were trying to be different by scoring it such. Also 12 other reviews gave it a 10, so they're not trying that hard to be different.
  • Tempy wrote:
    But the review for Bayonetta praises its mechanics for being deeper than any other game of its genre, and our own Rocko is still playing it to this day, due to the ridiculous amount of high end content and inpossibly lofty skill ceiling. It wasn't scored that to court controversy, just like someone saying GT2 or whatever is a 10. I'll never agree because I don't get racing games, but wouldn't suggest they were trying to be different by scoring it such. Also 12 other reviews gave it a 10, so they're not trying that hard to be different.

I wasn't aware of this so I suppose it makes my point moot.
  • My investment in this thread is an accurate barometer of how bored I am of my current study. Maths. Ugh.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!