Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    You're magick man.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I know
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Just had my first session in the darkzone and it was good fun.  Its brutal on your own but I made friends with some random and went around stealing people's drops as they were just about to extract.  There doesn't seem to be enough of a reason not to kill people though so I'm not sure how it will work over the long term once people get used to the mechanics of it all.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Think I'm sold on this tbh. The shooting feels nice, enemies not quite as bullet spongy as I thought. My shotgun was ripping through enemies close up. Some of the bigger enemies take a bunch of damage but they have armour to get rid of too.

What I'm most excited about is the fact that suppressors reduce threat, which makes me think (hope) there is in fact a WoW style aggro mechanic. This would be cool. I was enjoying being the healer tonight, I can't wait to see what other skill combos you can equip to make different classes.

The visuals are lovely. So much detail all over, even a bog standard back alley has you gawping at the pretties.

Loads of fun, think I'll keep the pre order.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Really enjoyed the co-op vs AI shenanigans, think the abilities will give you plenty of scope to mould a guy into something useful, and a proper support tree in the Medic tier is very welcome.

The Dark Zone I did not enjoy. Can see huge potential for griefing, not even for any profit but out of pure spite. I need to know more about how it all works, but the game doesn't really punish players for going rogue does it? You keep the XP and money you get from kills don't you? Also me and Webbo got shot in the back by a guy with a red icon above his head, turned and killed him only for us to be marked as rogue. WTF? It was self defence guv, honest!

Can see solo players being a pain in the arse at these extraction points, if things like one shot sniper rifles exist, and I'm sure they will, it won't be long before they're making a nuisance of themselves.

Another thing, it's all well and good having verticality in your map, glad to see it, but not being able to lean over the cover and aim down at targets is daft. They can shoot back at you no problem, so while in theory you have a positional advantage over the guy out in the open below you, he's actually in the better spot.

Woke up this morning wanting to play more of it, and I'm sure the Dark Zone stuff isn't as bad as I fear, so I'm a tentative in at the moment. Being in a squad of four is going to be a must though, don't fancy lone wolfing this at all.

Also, what just happened? I made a post with some critical points that didn't pointlessly reduce the game to single mechanic or claim that the video game sky is falling. Unpossible!
  • Aye, I'm in.  Shooting is good, team play is good, the game itself looks great especially considering the level of detail and I was pretty wowed when that fog dropped at night and the snow was falling.  Some valid concerns over netcode when that Scott prick was ripping through us at the extraction point, but as a team, there's definite scope to approach these areas with increased tactics.  Set up a sniper overwatch, Frantic with the magic sponge, etc.  Positive stuff from me.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Meh. I'll give my evaluation of the beta later.
  • *rubs hands*
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No idea what this game is. Somebody give twitter style summary - fps, online shooter, bf style mp?
  • Online third person cover shooter grindathon.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Cool, cheers. Is it mainly mp squad type thing? PvE or PvP?
  • Yeah. You can solo and meet randoms and things like Destiny though.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I can defo see potential in the Dark Zone in a team of four. We were just a bit headless chicken initially.

I had a really cool emergent moment where I had revived a random just as his mates turned up. They all waved at me being friendly, then two rogue guys showed up and a massive firefight broke out in the multi storey. The friendly randoms stood and fought alongside me and then we exchanged pleasantries and moved on. The same guys were at an extract and it went smoothly with no bullets exchanged.

We'll see how it pans out.

I just really need to know about this threat thing. If a player can spec to cause huge threat and take aggro for the team, while another heals and another does splash damage etc this could be very special. I'm convinced it's a thing as suppressors say they reduce threat. Medic with suppressors sat at the back in support of a lunatic with an LMG.

Speaking of LMGs, I found one in a random encounter when you left Sparkles. I had to do one more thing....this game is one of those 'just one more thing before bed' games.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ok, grand. That's all I need to know, chairs.
  • It's a story led game with consequences.  You play Steve Evans, Leeds United head coach, it documents the eternal struggle of life in the Championship and the pressures of aiming for promotion to the big league.
  • It appears from the beta that there will be A LOT more single player content than Destiny. 

Think of a typical ubisoft map with a shit tonne of icons and encounters for you to do. 

I did an interesting missing persons side mission yesterday. Typical go here, scan this then go here affair but it at least had a coherent story.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Destiny has tons of single player content by the way.
  • Uh oh.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Nah, we finished it in no time.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Isn't that an expansion?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Right, this is encouraging.

Veterans of the role-playing genre will be familiar with the formula that constitutes the holy trinity in RPGs, traditionally made up of a damage-soaking tank character, the support role, and the damage dealer. In The Division, Barnard cited the importance of class roles as something that would be a large focus in the game. "We want the concept of role importance in a group. We really want to support that," he said.
    Because of the nature of group combat in The Division, the behavior of enemies will be directed by what Barnard refers to as "sometimes called threat, sometimes called aggro" in games. "We need an aggro system or a threat system that I can effect as a player. So that I can draw the attention of an enemy or drop the attention of an enemy based on skills and where I position myself in a fight," he explained.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-division-director-talks-class-roles-and-multip/1100-6422687/
  • I think there will definitely be some balance changes in the darkzone as a result of this beta.  The problem at the moment is that rogues are at too much of an advantage.  We were just waiting for people to call in extraction and then killing them as they were trying to put their stuff on the chopper.  What's worse is that you can then loot them and extract their shit onto their chopper.

Small changes like only being able to extract stuff onto your own chopper, staying rogue while you have stolen stuff on you etc will help out a lot I think.

Nonetheless I think the whole game has huge potential.  I love the gun fight dynamic, especially in PvP.  It feels a bit like The Last of Us PvP where there's a little bit of hide and seek and then shit hits the fan and people are running around trying to get behind cover to heal, provide covering fire etc.
  • Dark Zone sounds like DayZ without the blood robbery.

How much of an actual problem is getting your kit robbed during the extraction? Is kit quite rare in this?

At the moment I can see it being a hassle because people spent five hours in the beta and had their loot taken, but if it's throwing guns and stuff at you like Destiny, how much of a problem is losing your kit like this in the long run over the course of something that will be played for months?

In DayZ you very quickly learn to not get attached to things. But then it does have perma death.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I lost some loot thinking it was the end of the world, but there's plenty out there.  Just a case of relooting and trying the extraction again.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Nexx wrote:
    I love the gun fight dynamic, especially in PvP.  It feels a bit like The Last of Us PvP where there's a little bit of hide and seek and then shit hits the fan and people are running around trying to get behind cover to heal, provide covering fire etc.

Sold!
  • The rogues were an issue last night, definitely. 
    During the day there was the odd accidental rogue or a douche trying it on. They got stomped on pretty quickly. Last night people were doing it for the fun of killing, there was zero benefit to it most of the time as the people they killed often had no loot. You get credits if you survive a rogue status but they never survived, they reach a point where everyone hunts them down and they eventually die. 

It remains to be seen exactly what type of loot you might lose though, so far there's been no game changer drops, no gallahorns to lose for instance, so it's no big deal, but I did manage to grab 2x blue loot last night and I spent a vary nervy 10 mins running from one rogue filled extraction point to another because I really didn't want to lose them.

Nexx's suggestions are good for the balancing.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • That sounds more promising.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    People should have a reputation level, so if they've been Rogue in the last 48 hours or whatever people can be a bit more wary of trusting them. Or something.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!