PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Any money on LBP3?
  • I'm sure LBP is being farmed out to the studio that did the PSP versions now.  Media Molecule have moved on.

Sony's issue with exclusives at E3 was that they'd already shown 4 (InFamous, Knack, Media Molecule thing and Drive Club) at the initial announcement.  So other than the 'The Order' and the indie stuff there wasn't much else to show.

I actually found a few of their choices to be a bit baffling.  Mad Max?  A CGI intro to a muti-platform game.

I'm not sure what other exclusives they could rely on.  Naughty Dog will probably go Sony but I don't think there's any obligation.  Insomniac have moved to MS (presumably not permanently).  Quantic Dream won't release a game after Beyond for about 5 years.
  • I actually found a few of their choices to be a bit baffling.  Mad Max?  A CGI intro to a muti-platform game.
    One that seemed very careful not show the face of the character because they likely couldn't get Mel's likeness licensed.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    That makes perfect sense. For me there are 3 things matter, cost, friends and exclusives. Also that picture is wrong and clearly the work of a fanboy.

These are the three major things for me, but surely Sony edges it on two out of three of them*, unless you have a lot of IRL friends who are getting Xboxes.

*arguably all three thanks to the indie stuff.
  • I'm not fazed by any lack of games at this stage, as I know I will be in for the long haul. I think there will probably be enough great 3rd party games on the PS4, and there should be nuff indie games to get you through any dry spells.

Article on indie dev's views on self-publishing - here.

I'm really put off by MS's attitude to things like cross-platform play in this gen anyway (see Dust 514 and Portal 2). And how long did it take for iPlayer to be available on 360 ffs.
  • MS haven't ruled out self publishing. There is still a large amount of time till launch and anything can happen.

Currently leaning towards the One as the games line up looks stronger to me, but I do have both preordered.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    adored wrote:
    I'm amazed MS are still intent on hiding access to Netflix etc behind the Gold paywall.

I'm not after they tried to do the same with the BBC iPlayer on 360.

I was there for the midnight launch of the original Xbox. My 360 games collection dwarfs that of my PS3. But I'm completely out this time around. I'll take a PS4 thank you very much.

Get schwifty.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    MS haven't ruled out self publishing.

Actually, if memory serves I believe that they did, but they do now look to be reconsidering their position.

Still, as the article points out, it looks like they do have some ground to make up with indies even above and beyond allowing self publishing.
  • What's the issue with not self publishing? Is it that the indies have to pay or something?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They have to sign up with a publisher to get their games onto XBLA, so the publisher will want a cut of the money and possibly some kind of creative input into what they're doing. On PSN (and things like iTunes and the Android Marketplace), indies can just publish stuff themselves.
  • I wish I had the money to throw away buying an unproven £300 device at launch again (hello Wii). Unfortunately, it's a case of waiting at least a year until the prices have dropped and something has shown itself to be worth my money. Ah, we'll, it's not like I'll have finished all the games I've got to play from the current generation by then anyway.

I've really got to stop lurking while logged in. Things like this happen and it ruins half the point of lurking.
  • There's a few different self-publishing models which muddies the waters a bit. 
    iOS apps and games still have to go through a screening process which mainly checks that they're not broken or doing something they shouldn't. They've brought some sort of quality check in now, to basically filter out fart apps and the hundreds of DoodleJump clones. You have to pay £90 (ish) a year.

Android you can just submit it and its up in a couple of hours. You have to pay about £25 for lifetime access. 

I'd expect it to be more on the iOS side of things than the Android one. Sony have some similar system already for the PlayStation Certified mobile games thing that flopped. That seems to work like the iOS model.

Update: You need a dev kit for consoles so the cost will be higher. No idea how much but more prohibitive to one man bands. Probably a good thing. The dev kits used by the triple A studios can cost tens of thousands I think. Someone like Chump can probably clarify.
  • I'm surprised there hasn't been more made of Microsoft's shitty publishing rules with all the 'bone bashing going on everywhere.
  • Haven't had time.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Priorities man. Let's get a couple of days out of no-headset-in-the-box-gate and then we'll get back to publishing models.
  • NO HEADSET IN THE BOX?????????????

Ah yes, but there's a Kinect, which has a mic. Phew. [/gate]
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'll simply use the Bluetooth headset I have used only once on my PS3 because nobody talks.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    I'll simply use the Bluetooth headset I have used only once on my PS3 because nobody talks.

Only three BT headsets are compatible with the 360's security chip: the official one (that's two, for accuracy), Datel's Game Talk Pro 2 (er, they also produced an earlier model), and the Tritton Warheads.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I was talking about people moaning about no headset bundled with the Xbox One.

I won't actually do that anyway, I'll simply buy a wireless one just like I did with my 360, PS3 and just like I'll do with my PS4.
  • They should have put one in or allowed use of the old one.

One of my pet hates are non standard jacks/ports/plugs etc etc.
  • From Shopto.
    Pre-order+chart.png
  • Sony are equally as guilty of not using standardised stuff, Vita memory cards for example.
  • The Vita cards are a fucking disgrace, but they've been excellent with non-proprietary stuff for the PS3, hopefully that'll continue with the 4.
  • Looking on the web for polls as to which console people want and I've found these -

GameFAQs poll.

Amazon facebook poll.  (PS4 votes 23494 / Xbox One votes 1337)  o_O

Official Xbox magazine forum poll.

Obviously they wont be exact measures of peoples opinion, sales figures should answer that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Wow. Just wow. This has to be the most botched console launch in history. Even the PS3 can't have been subject to such overwhelming condemnation before it came out.

Heads are surely going to roll at Microsoft.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Not bothered looking in here. Flame bait causes flames shocker.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Heads are surely going to roll at Microsoft.

"Turns out, sir, listening to the publishers rather than our customers was a colossal mistake."

"You're right, Jenkins. Have your desk cleared out by noon or I'll have your family shot."
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Mod, I've never known a grown adult so blindly defend a company in the face of all evidence to the contrary as you are doing here.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Mod quite likes taking the shaft from Microsoft. /troll
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!