PlayStation® 4
  • I wish it was out earlier :(

I want next gen gaming goodness NOW!

(After I've finished Walking Dead that is).

I've already traded in all 360 games apart from PES.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Moto70 wrote:
    Do you need internet? No

Can you play PS3 games? Yes, via streaming.

Right then...
    Moto, I think you're starting to lose it.
    Lose what, my ability to digest contradicting information without question?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Plan M wrote:
    I wish it was out earlier :( I want next gen gaming goodness NOW! (After I've finished Walking Dead that is). I've already traded in all 360 games apart from PES.
    I'm starting to think this, though saying that I'm also starting to think about just not bothering with all the mis-information and next to know definitive, clear cut statements of fact.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Moto70 wrote:
    Do you need internet? No Can you play PS3 games? Yes, via streaming. Right then...

It's not contradictory information. It states quite clearly that streaming is required for playing PS3 games, that does not mean that an internet connection is required to use the console.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    Plan M wrote:
    I wish it was out earlier :( I want next gen gaming goodness NOW! (After I've finished Walking Dead that is). I've already traded in all 360 games apart from PES.
    I'm starting to think this, though saying that I'm also starting to think about just not bothering with all the mis-information and next to know definitive, clear cut statements of fact.

Yep I decided to trade them all on Saturday whilst they're still worth something.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Moto70 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Moto70 wrote:
    Do you need internet? No 

Can you play PS3 games? Yes, via streaming.
    It's not contradictory information. It states quite clearly that streaming is required for playing PS3 games, that does not mean that an internet connection is required to use the console.
    Which ever way you try and butter that up I'd like to see you try and get that through Advertising Standards, simple answer is you wouldn't. It would be declared as misleading.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Well, I wasn't aware that you worked for the ASA, I'll have to bow before your superior knowledge.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Gonzo wrote:
    @perm Lol are you insane?
    Why do you ask?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Well, I wasn't aware that you worked for the ASA, I'll have to bow before your superior knowledge.
    You know I don't so why are you acting like a prick? I have however had to deal with advertising issues (remember I worked in motorsport mainly on the sponsorship side of things) and I am capable of reading stories about the ASA.
  • It's not an advert though so it seems a moo point.

Obviously a lot of features wont be available without an internet connection. Such as online gaming or the PSN Store.. but you don't need one.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    It's not an advert though so it seems a moot point.
    I merely said that I would like to try and see that ran as an advert and it would be shown for being misleading, obviously Yoss then jumped in and ran with it.

I can't be the only person to wonder what would possess anybody to highlight 2 features of a system as a USP when they contradict each other?
  • Indeed. I do see what your saying.. but presumably like I say a lot of features on consumer products these days require an internet connection to work.

Both facts are correct. Yes you need an internet connection to stream.. but in the context of the comparison you don't need an internet connection to own the system and play games on it..

I can't be the only one forseeing a Watchdog X-Box One feature when it looks countless numpties out of playing games cos of no internet.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Indeed. I do see what your saying.. but presumably like I say a lot of features on consumer products these days require an internet connection to work. Both facts are correct. Yes you need an internet connection to stream.. but in the context of the comparison you don't need an internet connection to own the system and play games on it.. I can't be the only one forseeing a Watchdog X-Box One feature when it looks countless numpties out of playing games cos of no internet.
    But not at the same time.

@Yoss: We have all been debating the various issues and favouring one side over another, some more than others, but in all of my posts to you when have I ever acted in an antagonising manner? Your post was just fucking rude.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    It's not an advert though so it seems a moo point.

Are you Kow's alt?

Moto70 wrote:
    I can't be the only person to wonder what would possess anybody to highlight 2 features of a system as a USP when they contradict each other?

They don't. Internet-based services require internet, the main purpose of the PS4 (ie playing PS4 games) doesn't. I wouldn't describe my laptop as requiring the internet, but streaming Youtube videos certainly does.

Apologies if I'm coming across as a prick, I'm only making a point via the medium of sarcasm, xox, hugz.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Indeed. I do see what your saying.. but presumably like I say a lot of features on consumer products these days require an internet connection to work. Both facts are correct. Yes you need an internet connection to stream.. but in the context of the comparison you don't need an internet connection to own the system and play games on it.. I can't be the only one forseeing a Watchdog X-Box One feature when it looks countless numpties out of playing games cos of no internet.
    But not at the same time. @Yoss: We have all been debating the various issues and favouring one side over another, some more than others, but in all of my posts to you when have I ever acted in an antagonising manner? Your post was just fucking rude.

Yes.. like a lot of features.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I clearly don't see it the same I'm afraid so I'll just leave it.

At least your reply was in context to the discussion unlike some...

EDIT: @Yoss
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    I can't be the only one forseeing a Watchdog X-Box One feature when it looks countless numpties out of playing games cos of no internet.

All of the major gaming shock horror stories I've seen over the last few years have been when customers have wanted to access online services but couldn't (Diablo, SimCity, XBL Xmas crash, PSN hack). I'm really not sure how big this gamers who don't have the internet -in the developed world- market really is.
  • That Sun poll was ran through their website - http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fun/gaming/4964006/ps4-vs-xbox-one-e3-poll.html

Another Sun page with their rundown - http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/4970342/Xbox-One-vs-the-PS4-who-won-E3s-gaming-war.html

So I don't know if the Sun poll voters were exposed to the false/misleading stuff before the votes were counted, cos obviously that page in the paper was printed after the vote had finished.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    All of the major gaming shock horror stories I've seen over the last few years have been when customers have wanted to access online services but couldn't (Diablo, SimCity, XBL Xmas crash, PSN hack). I'm really not sure how big this gamers who don't have the internet -in the developed world- market really is.

US service men are apparently not happy.

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of mole hill.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Maybe you went up a mole hill, but came down a mountain...
  • JMW wrote:
    Playstation 4, XBox One - I like that.
    yeah, can't believe i haven't seen it anywhere else, and disappointed in myself for not thinking of it. that must prove i'm not a fanboy or something...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Dig your way back through the E3 thread. That joke was definitely made shortly after the name was revealed.
  • Was it Mod?
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Bob wrote:

There was that time the Xbox was burning holes in discs and when Xbox went all rrod. Also the ending for mass effect 3
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Plan M wrote:
    I've already traded in all 360 games apart from PES.

This sentence is just wrong on so many levels ;)
  • Going to have a proper read of this later, but, this bit caught my eye.
    So with the PS4 hardware specs mostly done and dusted, the only real questions remaining concern the CPU and RAM resources swallowed up by the operating system. Guerrilla Games' recent post mortem of its Killzone: Shadow Fall PS4 reveal demo suggests that two CPU cores are reserved for the OS (something we're told could change but remains the current working allocation), but the amount of GDDR5 required by background processes remains unknown. What we do know is that 512MB was the target during the time that PS4 was slated to ship with just 4GB of system RAM, with current murmurings suggesting that has doubled to 1GB. At the same time, the Guerrilla post mortem contains a memory map with around 3GB of "spare" memory which could be occupied by the OS. One theory - yet to be confirmed - suggests that the game DVR - which records footage as you play - may be writing to a RAM disk, saving on hard drive bandwidth. 15 minutes of 1080p h.264 video could swallow up anything up to 1GB of RAM, but some might say that it would be something of a waste to utilise high performance memory on an application like this that would require at most around 2MB/s of bandwidth (PS4 GDDR5 tops out at 176GB/s)
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • I would strongly hope that this recording gimmick doesn't impact on the system performance in the slightest.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Gimmick?

It's got its own dedicated button on the controller. This is a big thing for Sony.

(wonder how it works offline?)
  • The article is really quite informative, why I hadn't read it before I'll never know.

Had another think, and once again I am unsure if I'll make the jump at launch. I'll lose Netflix on my PS3 if I do, granted I'll still have it on my TV, but I prefer the experience on my PS3. Not so much for me, but for my son, as he loves a lot of the shows available on there.
    Then there's games that he plays. He's really enjoying Start the Party and Dancestar Party at the moment. Those would be lost in the upgrade, along with a bunch of downloaded PSN titles that he likes to play.

Being a dad is tough.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Are you trading the PS3 then? I'd definitely be keeping hold of mine.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!