PlayStation® 4
  • How long did Sony run with that awful tag line?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • @Yoss So, at the end of the frame when all the stuff has been drawn to the 1080p screen buffer, it'll get shown on screen but also passed as a new frame of input to the hardware encoder - Which is nice and simple for the encoder as most codecs involve key frames every x num of frames and the intermediate frames are compressed as "difference from the last frame".

That way it's kept on tap as a totally vanilla piece of video, ready for immediate upload to YouTube or whatever and easily streamed out to spectators, or saved to disk.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    *nods harder*
  • Heh, sorry, I did try :-p
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    That way it's kept on tap as a totally vanilla piece of video, ready for immediate upload to UStream or whatever and easily streamed out to spectators, or saved to disk.

FTFY.
  • Gonzo wrote:
    the stench of desperation

It is a bit sad... People desperately hoping that Sony is going to be as good as it sounds.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian wrote:
    *nods harder*
    he's just showing off now.  "och, pass me the triple-overhead manifold sprocket!" "speak English boy!" DRIFTER.  yum.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Bob wrote:
    Gonzo wrote:
    the stench of desperation
    It is a bit sad... People desperately hoping that Sony is going to be as good as it sounds.

To be honest, consoles aside, Sony tech has been getting progressively worse.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I know this will come out as a dumb question, but where does Gakai fit into Sony's PS4 plan?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Gonzo wrote:
    I just joined Playstation plus for 1 year, £33.15 using CD keys and code CDK511. Then I realised I have a launch window fat PS3 with shit for memory. 55Gig. WTF!

Sell it for top dorra!
    Morons think they are worth money cos of BC n shit.
    Then get a slim (not the new corrugated cardboard one) and selotape a PS2 slim to it.

Profit.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Surely the days of the launch PS3 attracting a premium because of BC are long gone?
  • Yeah not so great, seen them go for £80 on eBay though. Not bad for  console the WILL die.
  • £80 mate I tells ya, sell it before it calls you a cunt.
  • It's callin you a cunt mate, I can here it mate!
  • It's muggin you off mate!
  • You need to at least get them on your download queue, not have to necessarily download them. Then they're yours for as long as you keep the sub up.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Gonzo wrote:
    I call myself a cunt thrice a day, it can fucking join the queue. Can someone explain PS+ to me pretty please. Is my "free library" there forever, or is it a case of download it or it's gone? Cos I sure ain't got space for this shit. Will DL the vita games (primary motivation for joining) directly from that console. Do I need to at least "purchase" the other games before they get swapped around, or am I good foreva (till I quit).

add them all to your download list and they will be there forever to download whenever you want.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You need help, Gonz.
  • Yeah, again, they've paid to put a chip on just to handle upload/download: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4_hardware - so it can do it in parallel (presumably when the disk is idle so as not to drop HDD bandwidth when a game is loading from disk) or in low power standbay - so I would presume they've had a proper rethink of the download and patching procedures.
  • Auto-updates no longer behind paywall, PS4 social features free, Sony confirms. "We're trying to be as balanced and as fair as we possibly can."

Sony has detailed some of the changes due to be implemented to PlayStation Plus with the arrival of PlayStation 4, telling VideoGamer.com that both auto-updates and the "social features of PS4" will not require a PlayStation Plus subscription to access.

Catch-up TV and online movie services will continue to be free to all PS4 users, although an additional fee may be required to access back-catalogue PS3 titles once the Gaikai streaming service is introduced next year.

A PlayStation Plus account will also be required to access PS4's online multiplayer functionality – something Sony says will allow it to "invest significantly" in PlayStation Network to help lower downtimes and improve its performance.

"It is time to charge, but it is time to charge and still continue to deliver phenomenal value," SCEE UK & Ireland MD Fergal Gara told VideoGamer.com during E3.

"A PlayStation Plus subscriber for PlayStation 4 comes away with a hell of a lot. First of all, the subscription applies across all three platforms [PS4, PS3 & PS Vita], so if you have the three platforms then you have an instant game collection on all three. So that's hugely powerful in its own right. But it is true to say that the online multiplayer element for PS4, you do require the subscription in order to [make use] of that.

"If you choose not to subscribe we are still gating relatively little in many senses, so access to online catch-up TV and online movie services sit outside of the gate, for example. The social features of PS4 and PS4 games sit out of the subscription service... things like auto-updates on PS4 sit outside of PlayStation Plus, so we're trying to be as balanced and as fair as we possibly can. If you choose to pay the subscription, yes, you get one important element of modern-day gameplay, but you also get fantastic value in games, including the PlayStation Plus Edition of DriveClub."

Auto-update functionality had previously only been available to PS Plus subscribers on PS3, and though it isn't yet clear what Gara means by PS4's "social features", it's possible he could be referring to the console's broadcasting and video upload features.

The service seems relatively more open than Microsoft's Xbox LIVE service, too, which blocks users from accessing services like Netflix and 4OD unless they're an Xbox LIVE Gold subscriber.

Whether PlayStation Plus users will be required to pay an additional fee for access to PS3 title streaming through Gaikai, however, is still undecided.

"In short, we haven't decided," said Gara when asked whether the firm plans to introduce additional PlayStation Plus tiers to accommodate backwards-compatibility streaming. "The Gaikai developments are exciting. The Remote Play feature which we're particularly excited about not just benefits PS4 but PS Vita - that uses some Gaikai technology.

"But secondly, the full cloud gaming service comes a bit later – we announced that 2014 will start to see that introduced for PS3 titles in the US, and we'll start to see a gradual increase in consoles, titles, devices and countries involved as we go forward, so there is a plan there to bring the PlayStation experience to more devices out of the cloud using the Gaikai that will broaden over time.

"Will that be part of PlayStation Plus? I genuinely don't know. Will that require some other, different charging mechanism? Perhaps. We just haven't sat down to answer that question yet."
  • Good to see we will be able to stream from the Netflix, BBC, etc servers for free.  I've always thought it was a joke that I have to be a XBL Gold Subscriber to use these services on my 360.
  • Mod'll be along soon to explain why that's actually the right way to do it.
  • Are all those features still behind the Live paywall on the Xbox One?
  • Are all those features still behind the Live paywall on the Xbox One?

I'm really not sure mate.
  • The iPlayer won't be. BBC don't allow it.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    *nods harder*
    I've run Chump's posts through a translator and I think he's saying that the PS4 has two HDMI cables coming out of it.  One goes to your telly, but the magic invisible one goes to the magic invisible VCR which as a magic cassette in it that keeps recording the same pictures and noises that show on the telly.  Nothing has to do any thinking, because all the thinking has been done in the box.  Also, the magic invisible VCR doesn't actually exist, but it works.  A bit like amputees who still get an itchy foot or whatever.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Now that's an explanation I can get my head around.
  • Ah Phantom VCR syndrome. Shoulda just said.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!