PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Resogun "it's so powerful it NEEDS PS4" is coming to vita and ps3 too
  • Whoop at new Stardust, cannot wait for that.

As for exclusives, bear in mind with SF, in Japan, the xbox is totally dead.  Beyond dead.  It's a corpse that has been eaten by 6009878 maggots and the grave is no just full of maggots.  So why would Capcom bother with it?  Anyone in the west who wants is likely to have a PS4 I guess is their thinking.  

Never got fighting games, though when I went to Tokyo in 2008, SF4 had just came out, and I was in an arcade watching some people play it and I have to admit being in total awe of them, it was like watching something almost poetic seeing the zen like state and faster-than-instant reflex twitch control they had.  And the game looked astonishing also.
    ---
    PSN - radioninty
    Lego, Labour & Resogun
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    darkglobe wrote:
    As for exclusives, bear in mind with SF, in Japan, the xbox is totally dead. Beyond dead. It's a corpse that has been eaten by 6009878 maggots and the grave is no just full of maggots. So why would Capcom bother with it? Anyone in the west who wants is likely to have a PS4 I guess is their thinking.

Nonsense. They released IV on 360 despite similarly crappy Japanese sales figures, and the cost of porting to a new console is trivial compared to the rewards. No, the thinking was simply 'do we want to accept this large sack of Sony's cash in exchange for exclusivity? Why yes, yes we do.'
  • Yossarian wrote:
    darkglobe wrote:
    As for exclusives, bear in mind with SF, in Japan, the xbox is totally dead. Beyond dead. It's a corpse that has been eaten by 6009878 maggots and the grave is no just full of maggots. So why would Capcom bother with it? Anyone in the west who wants is likely to have a PS4 I guess is their thinking.

Nonsense. They released IV on 360 despite similarly crappy Japanese sales figures, and the cost of porting to a new console is trivial compared to the rewards. No, the thinking was simply 'do we want to accept this large sack of Sony's cash in exchange for exclusivity? Why yes, yes we do.'

They wouldn't be the first company to do so though would they?

Can-of-sprite
  • I don't know either way, just whacking ideas out there, but things are different than they with the 360, as that for some time did look like it could get a small foothold in Japan, so it makes sense that MS would have gone all out to make sure they got the game too, this time I can honestly see this has little to do with cash and being Capcoms choice, by making a PC version I guess means they can easily do a One version if a market becomes active for it.

Or Sony just chucked money at it.
    ---
    PSN - radioninty
    Lego, Labour & Resogun
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Didn't MS go hell for leather in Japan way back when too and throw big dorra about to get their jrpg stable up to try to entice the market? If they saw little real return on that then I can see why they aren't really bothered in pushing again for it. Seems a bit off that Capcom are (currently..) writing off the big US Bone userbase though. 

I'd be surprised if it stayed all that exclusive.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Skade wrote:
    They wouldn't be the first company to do so though would they?

No, they wouldn't. Still, as I say, it's getting on my tits at the moment. It's a similar thing with streaming services, Blinkbox pay for exclusive rights to film X and Netflix subscribers have to have a second (and third, fourth, fifth, nth) subscription each month to have access to everything. Apparently, competition is supposed to be good for the consumer, but it just leads to situations like this where customers of one service or product get locked out of things because they aren't customers of another and it's bollocks. True competition would be parity between the content you can enjoy (barring differences offered by the hardware) and allowing consumers to choose a console based on quality of hardware, support, extra services, the controller etc. Instead, we get Sony or Microsoft grabbing exclusive rights over games and franchises which just end up screwing over their competition's customers.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    They're a business. It's all about the ¥.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I know. Business sucks balls.

Based on Ars Technica's analysis below, Xbox One has about 40% of the next gen console market compared to PS4's 60%. That's a lot of potential customers to be losing out on if you're not being paid for exclusivity.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/10/analysis-worldwide-ps4-sales-at-least-40-percent-better-than-xbox-one/
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yep, hard to imagine they wouldnt get a return on investment from porting. Defo sony cash involved. Of course MS equally culpable (tittyfall etc), but it does end up a right ballache for us consumers.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yep. Microsoft are just as bad.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I know. Business sucks balls.

Based on Ars Technica's analysis below, Xbox One has about 40% of the next gen console market compared to PS4's 60%. That's a lot of potential customers to be losing out on if you're not being paid for exclusivity.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/10/analysis-worldwide-ps4-sales-at-least-40-percent-better-than-xbox-one/

How did it work out for Titanfall?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Titanfall probably underperformed and they might have damaged the chances of the inevitable sequel when it appears on the PS4. There were stories that Respawn needed the cash though, I'd guess Capcom have had an offer that guarantees profitability for the game during an awkward generation transition.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    I know. Business sucks balls. Based on Ars Technica's analysis below, Xbox One has about 40% of the next gen console market compared to PS4's 60%. That's a lot of potential customers to be losing out on if you're not being paid for exclusivity. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/10/analysis-worldwide-ps4-sales-at-least-40-percent-better-than-xbox-one/
    How did it work out for Titanfall?

You should probably ask EA. Although, I do feel that getting an exclusive on a new, untested franchise which could end up losing money is very different from locking down a title which had previously been multiplat and is pretty much guaranteed to sell by the shed load. Although, isn't Microsoft guilty of this with Tomb Raider?
  • I personally have no problem with exclusives but SFV is clearly a niche product.
    The Forum Herald™
  • All the more reason an exclusive deal makes sense. Platform holders pay to keep exclusivity, development gets a reduction in financial risk.

SFV makes me less likely to get an Xbox now. And exclusive games in general help define a platform ecosystem. Otherwise we should all go pc only if everything is multiplatform.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Got a question about PS plus. It expires today and I checked my credit card and the renewal hasn't been charged. I checked my account and automatic subscriptions was switched off. 

I have turned it back on. 

If the expiry date is 6/12/2014 does that mean it expires at the end of today and they will charge my card tomorrow? Or is it better if I manually add another sub? Will this turn it into a new sub and possibly lose all my old sub games?
  • Just buy a new sub, it just extends your current sub. You'll not lose any Plus games in your library, don't worry.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ahh just reading FAQs don't think its a problem. As long as you purchase a game during a membership priod you can always play it again when you rejoin. Actually makes sense.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah cheers @chief just read exactly that. Was worried that I'd get screwed and lose everything :-)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    All the more reason an exclusive deal makes sense. Platform holders pay to keep exclusivity, development gets a reduction in financial risk.

This is why it bothers me less with new IP. Bringing out a new franchise is very risky, so an exclusivity deal makes sense. The chances of SFV not turning a profit, even if it turns out to be terrible, are tiny.
    SFV makes me less likely to get an Xbox now. And exclusive games in general help define a platform ecosystem. Otherwise we should all go pc only if everything is multiplatform.

If everything were multiplatform, I'd still be using a console for the reduced (if increasing) hassle and expense. However, I do agree that exclusives help define a console, if platform holders are creating their own games or backing new and risky IP, then fair play. Buying up exclusive rights to a franchise that was previously multiplatform is a shitty move.

And yes, yourself and others may be less likely to get an Xbox. But for me, this has generated a lot of ill-feeling towards Sony. Microsoft saw a similar outcry over Tomb Raider and rightly so. The more negative reactions we see around these sorts of deals, then the less chance there is of platform holders screwing over customers in this way.
  • Don't buy games that are locked to one platform in this way. If you own tittyfall but are complaining about SF5, you don't have a leg to stand on imo. You've already rewarded this business strategy.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It worries me when I agree with Yoss
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Don't buy games that are bought in this way. If you own tittyfall but are complaining about SF5, you don't have a leg to stand on imo. You've already rewarded this business strategy.

I don't own Tittyfall. Although, as I've said, I do see new IPs a bit differently to franchise sequels. Creating a new IP is both very costly and very risky, a sequel much less so.
  • I still remember the era of 16bit consoles where each system and computer has a differentiated library. The ps3, 360 and now ps4 and xbox have incredibly similar lineups.

At least having exclusive games helps to develop an identity of what to expect from a system, but of course that comes with restrictions in that you dont get everything on a given platform. If you didn't want restrictions though you wouldn't have bought a console.

I agree, pcs and consoles used to be different too but that's less the case now with 40GB patches and forced installs. So the claim one system is a hassle and not the other is becoming outdated.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I dunno. At least on console you don't have to worry about drivers, compatibility or upgrading hardware. Plus, if you're only using a machine for gaming, then the general ease of the interface on consoles will still trump PC. And, as mentioned earlier, there's also the cost factor.
  • At least on PCs you've got an outside chance of fixing problems, instead of crossing your fingers and hoping the problem is patched at some indeterminate point in the future.
  • Yeah but on pc, you have different drivers, graphics cards, cpu's - for me it was a nightmare!

But at least on Pc, you can upgrade individual parts for a better experience.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Don't suppose there is a more current list of PS4 PSN names?

I'm looking for people to play GTA, TLOU, BF4 and Destiny online with. If you still play any of those, please add me.

vicinityofpi

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!