20 Years of Edge Magazine
  • I think my favourite cover was the one with the Mario World screenshots, with all the coins making the shapes of different currency symbols.
  • bought it since issue 1, only missed a couple of issues (around the time of and including the goldeneye review), and been subscribing for god knows how long pretty much since then.

still subscribe now but should probably cancel given how rare it is for me to read much of it now.  similar to what moot said, whole chunks of the magazine and the features hardly interest me now... as it is what i do read tends to be for the 'edge opinion' on things i've already read up about online....which i could probably get from the edge website, except that i hate (and always have) even looking at the site - which is partly why it took so long for me to eventually join the forum despite reading the mag for so long.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I started buying around issue 7 or so, just before the big saturn and playstation reveals. Loved it straight away. A really early issue came with a "guide to the next gen" separate feature, with existing 3DO / Jaguar stuff and existing info on PS1, Saturn and "Project Reality"... Very exciting to a 15 year old.

Before that I'd subscribed to mean machines since issue 1, until it went single format (Sega) and EMAP / Dennis got Official Nintendo seal of approval and launched a separate mag for nintendo formats.

Got into MM in its previous incarnation as a console section in old-school C&VG.

Got into C&VG through a mean machines special issue "guide to consoles", with a history of all consoles from VCS to the mythical Megadrive and its amazing conversion of Ghosts & Goblins: Ghouls & Ghosts and Golden Axe making even the PC Engine look like a child's toy.
  • Better suggestion for the new cover

BOPa6XLCMAAIVkg.jpg:large
  • Edge as a print publication 10 years ago was great but.....
    As a tech oriented magazine they should realize their real future is online. 
    I mean seriously, who reads tech news in a paper mag nowadays?
    The news is old and outdated the moment the mag hits the newsstand.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Which is why there's not a lot of news.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    my first copy of EDGE was issue 66 with Link on the cover and Ocarina of Time and Half-Life reviewed amongst others. I think I must have subscribed shortly after that despite not owning any significant consoles at the time, although I was a far more avid PC gamer back then than I am now. I picked up issues 1-65 on eBay a few years later and still subscribe...

I agree that it is a rather pretentious publication but I think that is part of the appeal. WIRED UK has outdone it in terms of pretentiousness in recent years for my money. I subscribe to that too. EDGE has always been one of the most carefully and stylishly designed magazines that I'm aware of as well, which is another important reason as to why I still subscribe.
  • Remeber when the magazine was almost square?
    What the fuck was that about? idiots.
  • I have only missed 1 or 2 out of the whole lot.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Better suggestion for the new cover

BOPa6XLCMAAIVkg.jpg:large

Ditch the number circle at the bottom and make the masthead white but with a shiny lacquer on it and you may be onto something.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    Which is why there's not a lot of news.

Yep, I think they've wised to that and that's why there's such a focus on features now.
  • Does that Ian guy who posted at the old EDGE forum keep in touch with any of you?  What was his role in the publication?
  • @Ian, do you keep in touch with any of us?
  • Didn't realise he had joined this place!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    He started the photography thread.
  • I liked it when edge dissected the hardware layouts of consoles and spoke to people about games.
  • i still subscribe in the hope they'll get really desperate for readers, and become really sleazy with pictures of hot naked girls playing the games and stuff and yet the wife will be none the wiser...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Smacked Liz Hurley's bum with the DOA volleyball edition.
  • Plan M wrote:
    Does that Ian guy who posted at the old EDGE forum keep in touch with any of you?  What was his role in the publication?

Ian was Production Editor if memory serves. Heard from David of Craig David fame the other day. That was nice.
  • I probably started getting edge around the time TOTAL! died in 95/96. Someone choose what my first issue was please as I can't remember.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Daddy, your first issue was E40, Christmas 96, with United Colours of Benetton style EDGE header, Super Mario Kart image and a misspelt preview of 'Yerouze'.
  • I think that might've been it, cheers.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    My first issue was this one. 90720.jpeg?rendered Got it when I was 15 as I remember and read it front to back on a Duke of Edinburgh hiking/camping session with the school. The writing style was so different, so much mature in my mind than other mags at the time that I didn't understand alot of the words used and I enjoyed that. So I got pretty much all of them for ten years till last year when I realised I wasn't enjoying them anymore. And most of the stuff is going online now anyway. When I was doing Year 11 GCSE English our teacher gave us an extract one lesson from EDGE. Was the DMC 3 review. I never read it but I like those MAXIMUM covers. That's how ya do em.

Holy shit man, I started with the same issue - excellent read it was too.

That period of Edge was thoroughly excellent stuff. But it wasn't just the magazine - a young reddave was at that wonderful point in life where work was paying well and there were no costs like mortgages, health insurance and pensions to worry about. Money was in plentiful supply so when Edge gave a game or a machine the thumbs up, it could be purchased. Better still, games were really becoming big business. Everyone had a playstation 2(or so it seemed) so even fellow workers who didnt know a thing about Rez could also laugh about the latest GTA or Fifa. Thats not the case so much now.

More so, Edge of that era had a swagger. It may have been somewhat misplaced at times but the magazine clearly saw itself as a vital part of the industry and acted as such. Now, it may be a well written mag at times but I feel it  lost some of that cockiness and as such isnt as interesting now.

I had a digital subscription last year but found I wasnt bothered reading it anymore. That said, I hope they can carry on - a 20 year run is still something to be impressed by.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I started with Issue 1 and continued until 2011, still have them in the loft somewhere in bin bags, last time I was up there I found a couple of boxes of Crash Magazine that I lost an evening re-reading.
  • My Edge subscription is a bitter sweet memory for me. My father set it up for me years ago as a birthday present, and kept the renewal running as one every year. Then, when he passed away I got a quite aggressive call from Future's subs team telling me the bank account being charged had been closed and I should switch it over. Perhaps with a little more empathy on hearing my explanation I would have kept it going. Still, it's the best mag running I just don't crave magazines like I used to.
  • Ian wrote:
    This was the first Edge I bought: E127.jpg
    This was the first I worked on: E131.jpg
    So, the first one you bought was prep for your interview?
  • Yep. I didn't originally apply to work there.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!