The Builders' Shed
  • Please explain the significance if your button layout, as it is the most unconventional I have ever seen.

Great to finally see a picture of the thing completed! How are you finding it?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Lovely. The only downside is that I'd like a bit more to rest my right palm on. I've a caddy in mind for it. (I kept it small to avoid flex, because the aluminium mounting panel had to be ~1 mm.)

Buttons are vertical keypad:

+ ent
    9 6 3 del
    8 5 2 ins

The one larger button is a JB-20, to make it easier to find with my little finger. Throws, tags, whatever. Logical, no?

Right, what's E building in there...

My first ever stick was a Fighting Stick 2, with a JLF and eight Seimitsu buttons. Now with @RockIsSponge, who took this photo (thumbnail links):

ZQpI4.jpg

Then I had a PS2 RAP Orange from Japan for a while. Eight Sanwa Dark Hai buttons (in the days before they offered black) with two Seimitsu 24s:

tdZiF.jpg

After that I forget the purchase order, but let's continue with some Powerful Game, PS3. Cheap plastic, but the palm rest area's great. Good case design. MS Fanta with medium pad, though I never found time to fit the Crown buttons. They're in a bag in the box.

CYRWc.jpg

Korean box with Crown buttons and a modified E-Stik. Much love for the stick, to which all I did was cut down its upper spacer to lower the spring's tension. It's by far the fastest to return to neutral of all the sticks I've tried. If I were to build a case for it - and I'm tempted, I'd flush mount it and file down the built-in dust washer. Korean layout's not really my cup of tea.

X3sOO.jpg

Tekken 6 RAP, 360. Ten Sanwa buttons. This one has the benefit of separate stick wires, rather than a 5-wire harness. I originally intended to crimp some QDs on for an LS-56 (which would've been a straight fit), but I never did.

Pcb7I.jpg

Combat King (PS2, PS3, PC) and Foe Hammer. Comedy King because it has QDs and made a good case for trying out different sticks. It's ended up with ten Seimitsu buttons and a bat-topped LS-40. The Foe has 24 mm Seimitsu skeletons and a mini-topped JLF with a mini dust washer.

zu45F.jpg

Rear artwork:

dZMaF.jpg

My first prototype on the left, second on the right. Initially with a hybrid button layout to get a feel for what I like*, and then a Namco (left four buttons) SEGA (right two) in 24 flavour. Mini-topped JLF undermounted via S mount. I didn't get around to cutting anything out on the first one.

17Ome.jpg

*Turns out, I really like the old RAP layout - if it has to be 30s rather than 24s - because I can press the kick buttons with my second knuckles. (The outer six on that RAP Orange.) I also get on fine with offset rows (Vewlix) with two conditions: 24 mm buttons and a raised HK. Otherwise the HK's too far left for my second knuckle - and I prefer keeping my palm planted for co-ordination and comfort, and too low for a ring-finger hop.

And I like having plenty of case - as on my later revision - for my wrist to lie on.

RDC's stick, all consoles. Seimitsu JB-35 buttons, and a JLF S with reduced travel via a taped actuator; Saia switches; an LS-33 spring; an extended shaft and a heatshrink cover. Mini dust washer.

jlbBZ.jpg

My new stick. The pink top's a placeholder until I heatshrink it. JLF S with an extended shaft, Saia switches and another 33 spring. Button layout was arrived at via my fingers and a blank sheet of A4. The bottom row seem to follow a milder Neo-Geo arc, while the top four are symmetrical. My thumb can easily press the first three of the bottom row, leaving the fourth to my ring finger.

Function over form here: the wood was free (the top's actually two pieces joined together) and the varnish was £2. It doesn't look that bad in real life.

A8vCI.jpg

Mine and R's:

uj13E.jpg

Apart from those two and the E-Stik itself, I'd be happy to sell the others for good prices, save for the Korean box and my two experiments, which I'd forward on with their buttons for postage money.
  • Yikes! Is this a pet project or do you make them on demand? Fine work regardless, makes me wish I was a competent fightmen so that I too could own a piece of custom built waggle presser.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    do you make them on demand?

Not with my workmanship! Thanks all the same. I suppose it's taken off as a hobby more than it would've done if I'd had a great connection to actually play the games over the past couple of years.
  • ARG! I had a big long post about how awesome your stick collection is Escape, but then my browser crashed and I lost it. So I will give you the tl;dr summary:

1. The Saulabi is excellent, although I hope you only use it when you need to get your powerful game on.
    2. Foehammer case is so tranquil and nice with that artwork. Much nicer than random animu hawtie or game character art that ruins many a stick.
    3. I lack the space and tools in my tiny abode to prototype stuff or build sticks otherwise I would be at it all the time, so am jealous of your lovely prototype stuff, the last stick with the pink balltop looks real interesting.

My collection is pretty meagre: SC2 Hori in GC flavour, T6 Hori Wireless for 360, Qanba Q4, Frankenstick and a pile of parts that will become a hitbox at some point before TTT2 drops (hopefully).  Will post some pictures later when I get in. 

Brooks, Escape has laid down the gauntlet, I demand pics of your weapon of choice and your cats (shout outs to jumbo awesome cats everywhere).
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yeah that's not happening, but imagine the Saulabi's top 180-degree flipped, covered with slightly grainy leather, thin enough to see the outline of the padding below a cluster of black 24mm buttons laid out as per Hitboxes.

I am still tinkering with it, because it's still as not as input-fumble-proof as I require. Also I need to redrill a hole and plug the old one.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    1. The Saulabi is excellent, although I hope you only use it when you need to get your powerful game on.

Only when I want to feel just like playing games at the Arcade Room and need five different kinds of the function.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Very slightly tempted. Very cute.

pa.215571.2.jpg

Back to my pad mod, our man's dealing mini boards. Nicely done.
  • Don't be, I had a mini Hori for the PS2 at some point. Quite apart from component quality, box was too mini for its own good.

Mini board's cool though.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Compact, aye. PS1. The shrunken dims call for a lightened mini-top recipe, I realise. And it's too dinky even then, but such a wee looker.
  • Right, possibly nearing some kind of conclusive conclusions re: why is my hitbox not actually making shit easier... and fuck my ass if it isn't these goddamn diagonals again.

Using AE as a benchmark is dumb because 3S isn't so accommodating on the input shortcuts - in the latter, a certain double-qcf input speed will be too fast for the system to read a clear 'between' combo of forward and down to give you the d/f needed to clear the system's demands. I think.

Problem being that under any kind of comp pressure, I'll be twitchy as, confounding the relative slowness I need to get the full 6 positions into the buffer clean. I suspect this was also what was hobbling my stick control too, though there, accidental jump-cancels were a risk too.

Stumped, also pissed off.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Brave Tekken Zaibatsu/SRK and ask noodalls if he can get you some frames. He has a programmable two-player Arduino-powered deck.

On the QT for comp play if you then try RDC for a PIC to establish delays and/or holds. Auto-diagonals are a possibility to ponder. R's away for a short while at present.
  • Am I misreading your use of "frames" there? Do you mean, like, framedata or a thing else?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    3S double-quarter requirements.

See if there are any limits to rule out overlaps and such.
  • Ohh I see, to programme into the gadget.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yeah.

You can flash a PIC to do plenty, but you're in the dark there without frame-hold conditions.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'm just trying to think of downsides to an automatic diagonal insert...

Let's say you press Right within X ms after Down, you could have your PIC delay the Right for one frame, in which it auto-inserts the diag.
  • Something like that seems like you wouldn't actually need specific framedata? I mean you could just trial and error it on this PIC 'til it sticks surely.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Ballpark figures. Saves the man fiddling.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    @Brooks

If you haven't been in touch yet, I'll give RDC a few details and let him know you're coming. If indeed you are.
  • I suspect I will be, so thanks.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Always happy to help on this business. R's away with photovoltaics this weekend, but I've sent word ahead.

He knows me as boring old Phil.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    boring old phil?
    anyway wich of the above are for sale? 
    i NEED a ps3 fightstick pal.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    CYRWc.jpg

PS3 Saulabi with a Fanta stick and a bag of yet-to-be-soldered Crown buttons. £20. (All inc. delivery.)

X3sOO.jpg

Box and Crown buttons. No board, and I'm keeping that stick. £10.

Pcb7I.jpg

Sanwa HRAP for the 360. Pretty much unused. £60.

zu45F.jpg

Combat King for the PS2/PS3/PC. Seimitsu parts. £10.

Blue custom with a JLF on quiet Groovy/Zippy switches. Seimitsu buttons. No board. £50.

17Ome.jpg

Project boxes. One or both for £10. No boards. I think I've 13 Seimitsu buttons, and one of them has a JLF.

Board-wise, I have two DS2s (for both consoles with adaptors) and a PS3 Cthulhu. The less tidy of the DS2s I'd give away, but no guarantees it'll run perfectly, while the other two are £10 each. The Cthulhu needs wires and QDs; no soldering there, but plenty of crimping.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    @Brooks

R's ready and happy to help.
  • The reason it's not helping you Brooks is you've made a pointless contraption. Use an arcade stick for better results.
  • See the thing is I'd previously been at that for well over half a decade. Had it been adequate, well.
  • I guess what you need to ask yourself is, in another 5 years can you really see the hitbox yielding better execution.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Escape, could I use the Combat King for MAME on PC?

(Is it that little black one?
  • Nick wrote:
    I guess what you need to ask yourself is, in another 5 years can you really see the hitbox yielding better execution.

If I can resolve this diagonals thing, I strongly suspect yes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!