The Builders' Shed
  • Anyone know much about scaffold? Early days but Im floating ideas about for redecorating if/when I sort a flat out. Really like the idea of sacking off the traditional fitted kitchen and making one out of scaffold.

No, but i have long thought about building a kitchen out of box steel. Much like the table I made earlier in this thread it wouldn't cost much to weld up into shelves and units then I'd like a polished concrete top. I swear kitchens are a proper rip off.
  • Thinking about it though I'd go with a handrail system over scaf, much nicer corner finish then bare ends.

Something like this. http://www.dlhonline.co.uk/interclamp-tube-clamps-handrail-system-335-c.asp
  • The issue then is figuring out how to to transition to shelves and work top.
  • Yeah handrail may be better, especially in a small kitchen.
    I imagined worktops would need some kind of bracket that wraps around the pipe work with wings that are then bolted to the underside of the worktop.
    Something like this but would be better if it was semi-circular and sat the pipe flush with the top.
    http://www.dlhonline.co.uk/143---handrail-wall-bracket-2745-p.asp
  • It seems possible though, just needs some planning.
    As you say, fitted kitchen cabinets are quite expensive and will never be as durable as pipe work and boards.
  • Yeah handrail may be better, especially in a small kitchen. I imagined worktops would need some kind of bracket that wraps around the pipe work with wings that are then bolted to the underside of the worktop. Something like this but would be better if it was semi-circular and sat the pipe flush with the top. http://www.dlhonline.co.uk/143---handrail-wall-bracket-2745-p.asp

I think that would look good, a nice clear separation between materials. You would need a good quality surface to make it stand out though.
  • Drawers, essential space but hard to build into this kind of system. Really would depend on the space you're building in, you might get away with a couple of small utility units and have the bulk as more of a bold statement.
  • I think I could live without drawers by using various storage baskets, boxes etc, all in natural materials.
    Alternatively set aside an area to have a butchers table that normally have drawers built in.
  • As you say, fitted kitchen cabinets are quite expensive and will never be as durable as pipe work and boards.

Quoted for devils advocacy to say that as long as you don't have the cabinets put in by a gang of dribbling morons (caveat - this is not out of the bounds of reasonable possibility given most kitchen suppliers) the carcasses are more than capable of doing a 20+ year stint, only needing the fronts changing if they become hideously unfashionable.

Alright, devils advocacy aside, scaffolding and other kitchen setups are waaaaaaay cooler. Noface the polished concrete worktop idea sounds awesome.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Feeling urge to build another leccy guitar. Spruce body Fender Musicmaster clone in dirty white I think. A pure neck pickup machine.
  • @Roujin
    You are probably right there. Although if you get a leak it can totally fuck a cabinet.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Seems this has gone from sticks to kitchens in a couple of years time. 

Back to sticks, think i I need @Escape's help with this one, and I don't want to go into the SFV thread as that will probably be all game talk.

I'd like to get SFV for PC, but my ps3 Hori Fightstick 3 doesn't really work well with that. Can I replace the PCB that's in the fightstick with one that's inside a Logitech PC controller I have and don't use because the PC 360 controller is better? I have absolutely no clue if there's a quality difference in PCB's for PC's, most stuff online is console minded it seems. Is it maybe better to buy an extra pc 360 controller? The Logitech may be wireless. I'm also clueless about how easy it is to rewire to Fightstick, maybe it's better to get new buttons as well when replacing the PCB?

At first I just want to remake the fightstick into a PC one, in stead of ps3. If all that works I might make a new case (I have access to a CNC machine, just need more time to think about design) and put proper buttons into it. Don't want to spend too much money on it at first, since I haven't used it a lot on ps3 since I couldn't get stable online games.
  • While we're calling the escape hotline, how do you programme an i-pac? Pc recognises it and registers inputs but won't push programme to the board, says something about drivers.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    You need a Windows PC and the software (WinIPAC) from Ultimarc. Some AVs flag it as malicious, but it's safe to run. If you still have it connected to the buttons and stick, they'll show as on/off in the main window. That's how you check your connections. Also, because you're mapping microswitches to keys, you can open Notepad and test them that way.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    my ps3 Hori Fightstick 3 doesn't really work well with that. Can I replace the PCB that's in the fightstick with one that's inside a Logitech PC controller I have and don't use

Probably, but that's a complex project. The PCB in your FS3 is soldered to the buttons, so you'd have to desolder that first. Do you have a soldering iron? If you don't and you'd like one, HAKKO make really good irons, but they are quite expensive. Anything with a temperature control that isn't really cheap should be fine. (I've a crummy old Weller with no heat control, and it really shows in my bodged work! It's okay for temporary fixes, but that's it.)

Anyway, the Logitech PCB probably won't have a schematic available for it online (the only one on Slagcoin is this Precision), so you'd have to work out its common lines and trace its inputs (signal lines) to locate the right places to solder to (a multimeter's continuity mode's the quickest way).

A common-ground board allows you to solder to just one point to provide ground for all signals (via daisy-chaining to all microswitches). All boards have one ground (provided by a wire in the cable), but some have multiple lines on the PCB. The DS3, for example, has one common line for the d-pad, L1 and L2, and three common lines in all. It's more soldering work. So you see it's not really correct to call a board CG, because they are all, but it's become shorthand in the modding community to call boards with a single common line common-ground boards.

(Your control problem sounds like DirectInput, by the way. But you'd need to talk to a programmer with some knowledge of its API. Chump, mayber? Your 360 controller uses the newer XInput.)

That's a lot of tinkering for a budget stick, though, and you could build your own for not too much money. You'd need:

* Wire strippers (I expect you've a pair for your bike? The automatic ones are so much better than the simple ones, but they cost a lot more.)
    * Wires (from any old Ethernet or phone cable.)
    * 2.8-mm/0.110" (two for each button) and 4.8-mm/0.187" (eight for the stick) female crimp terminals (if you don't solder to your microswitches.)
    * Case (wood offcuts are cheap, or maybe an old piece of furniture you don't need.)
    * PCB
    * Control parts

Control parts don't have to be Sanwa. If you're not that fussy, there are several cheaper alternatives. A few sticks come with larger, 6.3-mm/0.250" switch tabs, and most buttons (not Sanwa or Seimitsu) with full-sized switches are 4.8s. As for the PCB, the I-Pac VE is $35 from Ultimarc. I-Pacs emulate a USB keyboard, so compatibility's very high. This one's cheap. For postage, you might find that Shadaloo offer the best prices. ArcadeShop are very good in my experience.

I have absolutely no clue if there's a quality difference in PCB's for PC's

Not really much of a difference in quality (manufacturing quality, yes; performance quality, not so much), but some boards are definitely easier to repurpose for arcade controls.

Is it maybe better to buy an extra pc 360 controller?

Not if it's new, because you could buy a dedicated PCB for the same money and avoid having to hack the 360 board.

maybe it's better to get new buttons as well when replacing the PCB? At first I just want to remake the fightstick into a PC one, in stead of ps3. If all that works I might make a new case (I have access to a CNC machine, just need more time to think about design) and put proper buttons into it. Don't want to spend too much money on it at first, since I haven't used it a lot on ps3 since I couldn't get stable online games.

I'd say it's better to get new buttons in your situation, because the ones in the FS3 aren't that great. In other words, if you spend any money at all, it's best to also buy new parts. That said, there's no reason why you couldn't desolder your stick's board and replace it with a low-cost alternative. The only hurdle is that you need to be able to solder to use old boards.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Having said all of that, Nina, your Fighting Stick probably just needs a driver due to its age.

http://perso.numericable.fr/geraud/fs3drv-0.4.zip

I use Better DS3 for my older PS3 controllers on PC. Newer ones, such as my HORI Commander 3, are natively supported by Windows (shows as 10B under Devices and Printers in Win7).
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Wow, thanks a lot Escape!

I'll try the drivers first, searched around myself but everything I came across seemed to suggest it's not possible.

Otherwise I'll build a new one, B and 2 friends got their own company, part of that is making LED panels for gigs, so I guess I will have access to the tools I need, one of them build a cnc machine so he can make his own guitars. 

(This is what the panels look like:
    CRds_e_UcAA5qrG.jpg)

Would have been nice if I could have re-used some of the plastic and inner pieces of stuff that's just lying here, but I guess not. Not that I'm particularly fond of the Hori. 
    Building a new one's more fun anyway. Only need to think of a nice case then, best scenario would be to make something that I can close off, so I can take it with me easily to the USA if we move.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    I'll try the drivers first, searched around myself but everything I came across seemed to suggest it's not possible.

If that driver works, great. If not, maybe try Better DS3.

And if one of those two drivers works but games won't recognise the stick, you can use either JoyToKey, or the last freeware version of Xpadder to convert any controller's inputs to keyboard keys.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    If Oak Furniture Land made arcade sticks...
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • O SHIT WADDUP

Nice stick man, classy. Stick and button specs plox, although I see you got that kbd ready bat top thar.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Talking to @Roujin about Korean sticks:

Key_Stick.jpg

Aaand...

Human_Based_New_Stick.png

A proper catch!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Oh, this is the PS4 Makestick Pro:

Makestick.jpg

IST make custom tops (with basically everything else copied), hence the keystick up there.
  • I should see it there's any photos of the arcade cabinet I built. Was way too big a cabinet but had 4 players. Was good fun building and wiring it all. Was just too big to survive all my moves
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I have a feeling that I've asked this question before but have just scanned through the thread and can't find it, but how much would it be for the buttons, stick and electrical gubbins (I can worry about the box separately) necessary to build a stick that I could use on my Bone and Pi?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The PCB's your main problem. Brook's Universal's the nicest option for a price, and padhacking's not easy. PhreakMods' Crossbone makes the latter easier at further cost. Or you could use anything that'll work with one of Brook's appropriate adaptors.

But unless you want a custom for any particular reason, it's probably cheaper to buy off-the-shelf. A bit under £150 for HORI's Real Arcade Pro V, or a bit over for a Mad Catz. Or a converter's about £32 if you pick up a 360 or PS3 stick.

Or PS4, even - I think Tempy'd sell you his Venom. Stick it in PS3 mode and buy the cheaper adaptor.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Cheers. I do have an off-the-shelf number, also bought off Tempy as it happens, just wondering about something a bit sexier.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    You could do what I did and buy an FH case. They'll do whatever layout you want, and paint it for extra. Or you could buy a tin of the most lurid paint imaginable and use that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The case is the part I'm least concerned about. My dad used to make a living as a carpenter, I'm sure we could knock up something nice in a day.
  • Those cases are gorgeous, the DIY one is a work of art!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!