Just completed
  • re: Uncharted 4. Very bad ending and that epilogue. didn't see the point. I don't think any Uncharted game has a good ending, mind you how many games do have decent endings? Do we have a thread? Many games seem to have a disappointing ending, so I'd be interested in discussing games with clever, well executed finales.
  • I like endings i'll make one
  • Skondo wrote:
    Uncharted 4 I don't know why I bought it - I haven't really enjoyed the other games, but it was an impulse purchase. It's pretty, I'll give it that, and I don't actually mind the story. But the shooting, good god the shooting. Actively loathe the gunplay in this game. It's just so boring.

What would need to be done to improve the gunplay? I'm not disagreeing with you, just intrigued.

Shortening the range that enemies are accurate from and make them less liable to just run at you - I get the whole matinee thing, but it's dumb -and ditch those walking minigun bullet sponges. Also, don't checkpoint behind destructible scenery and make cover less sticky.

There's little challenge besides numbers - I prefer having to deal with enemies flanking me, as opposed to enemies coming from everywhere and heavily armoured hulks just walking through a hail of fire. The game wants you to move and flank but the health and bullet sponge enemies make that an absolute pain.

On a mechanical level - aiming feels floaty (hard to describe) and I think it's just too much like a CoD duck shoot. It's just dull, dull, dull.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Super Hot sounds good, I played it briefly and I'll bite when the price is right, but Frozen Cortex sounds superb.  Both would rank among the most interesting experiments in recent years.  The VR game where a blink causes one scene to jump to another has No man's Sky levels of unachievable potential too.
    I wish I could find more time to play Cortex. I'm really interested in Frozen Synapse 2 which sounds like that canned introversion game from a few years back as it has warring corps and gangs trying to take over a procedurally generated city.

I regret ditching Synapse on Vita after 5hrs or so.  I gave it a fair go, but I felt like the easing in process was rushed as they fast-tracked you to the deep end.   Perhaps I'm just terrible at plan and execute games; I had a similar problem with XCom2 at first but I've pushed through and I'd say I've settled in now (although I'm still getting to grips with the multitude of gubbins on the map).
  • I should write something about Firewatch, which I played the other night. Might be amusing to point out how I found it to have more immersion breaking bugs than Last Guardian. Or how putting too much game in it detracted from the experience for me.
  • I finished Day two yesterday AJ.
  • Other thing that annoyed me was that it was a game that so often you had no idea what the game wanted you to do unless the game actually told you onscreen in BIG FUCKING TEXT what you should be doing. That's just terrible design.

Case in point. There's a bit towards the end where Drake surfaces on a beach. He kills a few mercs and then a big Armoured Vehicle pops up on a road above him and starts spraying him with it's turret.
    Fortunately there's an RPG on the beach, so you grab that and blow the AV to smithereens.

So now you're wondering where to go next.
    Wait, I can see a jeep parked up on the road behind where that AV came from. I must be trying to get to that (I am completely wrong about this).
    At which point another AV the same as the first one drives down onto the beach and attacks you.

Now I've just dealt with one exactly the same as this, so I know what to do here.
    Annoyingly though, I've dropped the RPG I had because I didn't need it after the battle with the first one was done, so I die over and over again trying to get to the RPG to take out this new AV threat.

Eventually I get the RPG back but then I die over and over again because the RPG is doing no damage to the AV at all.

I take refuge in a ruined house. It turns out there is a fence I can climb in there, but for once in this game it's actually not too obvious.

Once I'm up there the AV barrels through the house and we're into one of those fuckawful Crash Bandicoot homage set-pieces where the AV chases me through a town.

Terrible terrible design.
    You have to rely on the game telling you what to do so often, that when it doesn't tell you what to do it becomes an exercise in frustration. I've just died probably a dozen or more times because the game failed to explain that I should now be running away from the same threat that I've had the power to destroy only moments before.

Drake must have a gazillion lines of throwaway dialogue. Did nobody at ND ever think it might be better for him to tell you what to do at times with his monologue rather than having to rely on BIG TEXT PROMPTS constantly appearing (or not in this case) on screen?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Skondo wrote:
    I finished Day two yesterday AJ.

Only thing I might suggest - other than not trying to put things, especially notes, back in the caches - is wandering about on the free roam until you get some idea of the place. God knows how many radio responses I missed because I was faffing about with the map, trying to figure out which way to go.
  • g.man wrote:
    Other thing that annoyed me was .... constantly appearing (or not in this case) on screen?

Should've just pressed up to win.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aw, I loved Uncharted 4. Slow start but it fitted where Drake was at that point in his life, great stuff through the middle with plenty of ups and downs, ending was a bit pony to play but at least it wasn't a QTE, and
    Spoiler:

Gameplay wise, it's Uncharted, you know what it does by now. I also didn't like the fat dicks in armour, and I'd have preferred fewer, harder hitting enemies over hordes of crap aiming goons to mow down. I liked the stealth, especially the bit in the jeep when you're free to explore and find the towers, great stuff.

Not sure about the complaints of it being too obvious and holding your hand during the times when you knew what to do, while at the same time not giving you enough idea of what you're supposed to be doing when you don't immediately know how to proceed. Seems like the Chalice complaint that it was too easy, but if you up the difficulty then you might die and have to repeat sections, so that's no good either. Having your cake and eating it. I thought the signposting was fine, only got stuck on one shitty combat bit when I had to climb up to get a better angle on the enemies, but as they were entering the area from above I thought that was the last place I had to go.

A great end to the series for me.
  • I enjoyed it, but it just wasn't as good as I expected it to be.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You probably have to put them in order now, it's kind of the law around here.

After this and the film thread I've got a massive hankering for a bit of Indie. Don't know how the boy will take it though, bit scary, so I might have to go it alone.

• I've played both U2 and U4. The one is about as good as the other. :)
  • I used the snap-to aiming, so it became even less of a game, but I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.  It's Temple of Doom gaming.
  • @g If you haven't played much of the series you may not have noticed that ND use colours to help you know where to go. On most of the games think it's yellow, but they've also used blues too. You'll see this colour on ledges and on walls subtly highlighting where you need to go. I'm not sure I saw the GIANT TEXT during my game at all - but it was a while ago that I played it. The rest of what you've said resonates with me though.
  • Yeah, I'm aware of the colours, but like the constant GIANT TEXT, sometimes it's absent or just hidden from view.
    The tank bit I was on about you have no time to be looking for stuff like that because you're getting raped by its turret fire.
    As you've just destroyed one exactly the same only seconds before, it's natural to assume that you have to destroy this one the same way.
    It's a game that constantly breaks its own rules and gets foreshadowing completely wrong...which is why it has to constantly have the GIANT TEXT appearing to tell you what button to press.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That tank bit pissed me off in the exact same way.

Maybe I'm just getting old...
  • Nah, it's just a game that spends a gazillion dollars on showing off how clever the devs are, yet frequently gets the fundamentals hopelessly wrong.
    It surprises me considering how long ND have been doing this sort of game.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Its no Dying Light.
  • Heh. Indeed. Another game that ended on a fucking QTE. Fortunately DL got a hell of a lot else right. Think I sank about 150hrs into it, which is three or four times more than any other single player game i can think of I've played.
    Anyhoo, U4 was good. I enjoyed much of it. I just think it should have been better.
  • Uncharted 4 - I wish it was 10 hours shorter.
  • ND are hopeless at pacing.
  • I don't remember 2 dragging like this one, also I found TLoU to be beautifully paced. UC4 feels like every section could've been cut down.
  • Nah, 2 dragged badly imo
  • Try playing 3! That was horrible. I enjoyed 4. Only one out of the series I actually liked. But yeah it was a bit too long.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Which one had you shooting zombies in the dark?
    Just terrible.
  • I'll probably pick up that HD collection at some point. I've certainly heard all the chat about how 3 was the low point of the series, but hey, I like this kind of thing and I don't have a whole lot else to play on the PS4 at the mo.
  • Haven't played tlou either.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    TheDJR wrote:
    Uncharted 4 - I wish it was 10 hours shorter.

You actually finished it? God bless son!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!