Just completed
  • Seems weird they took out one of the biggest draws from DR1 which was using anything as a weapon. That was the fun part especially when all your good stuff broke and you had to resort to chairs and other awkward things
  • having played it again recently the Psychos are utter piss if you use a shotgun/sniper/katana and a quickstep juice, even on level 10 or whatever i was. 

with some clever planning you can also use that mounted gun on the humvee to obliterate the clown in about 3 shots.

the boss fights are horrible only if you're not prepared.
  • Man im so gonna buy the dead rising one remake, was one of the few games i loved on 360.
  • It's on sale on PlayStation at the moment. Till the 20th I think.
  • It's on sale on PlayStation at the moment. Till the 20th I think.
    Awww cheers im on it.
    Less than a tenner on ps+ ;)
  • Been playing DR2 - Off the Record version and properly sticking to it this time. Really enjoying it.
  • i am curious about that. though i played vanilla 2 too much to want to try it again from a different perspective. 

how different is it?
  • Not massively, but it's different enough to make it worthwhile if you can grab it cheap and hanker for another play through. You no longer need to go back to apply zombrex, the main story line has some extra stuff at the beginning, and obviously there's major dialogue changes, but the overall story and the gameplay is the same. The camera is back too, though, which is nice.
  • I'd probably recommend a version other than the PS3 version, though - I've run into some nasty slowdown at times.
  • Yeah i have both 1 & 2 on ps4 now. i like 2 a lot but there's something about the first one that is almost perfect for me.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I want dr 4 when it's a tenner. Otherwise I may get dr1 when I get paid. Fired up chop till you drop over Xmas holidays. That thing is all right
  • Just got DR2: Off the record. Only one I haven't played.
    Downloading now.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's the best version of dr2 and now you got me wanting to frank west again
  • Haha.

To be really honest I can't recommend DR4 even if I did have some fun with it. I guess at a tenner it might be alright.
    I had a right Dead Rising itch to scratch around launch after just watching the Game Grumps playthrough of the first one. DR4 didnt so much scratch that itch a brush passed it a bit.
  • Once you clicked with the Groundhog Day motif DR1 really became something special. Definitely one of my favourite games of that generation and it still holds up really well.

The game was janky in places, especially the controls (slightly improved with the rerelease) but also superbly atmospheric and with some unique ideas. Personally, I liked the save system, it gave a sense of jeopardy, a need to prioritise and a reason to replay. As mentioned, if you die a couple of times and restart with your current level it's much easier.

Everyone remembers the hoards of zombies and silly outfits, but things like the light while standing on the rooftops and the excellent and inspired character designs were great too. It was a really interesting Japanese take on a Western game design (and movie).

I enjoyed 2 and Off the Record but even those felt diluted in comparison to the first. The move away from Japan seemed to kill a lot of the gameplay uniqueness and Dead Rising feels very different and watered down as a franchise now. A shame.

• I gave up at the clown I think, which I think wasn't pretty early on. Just felt too slow and cumbersome and tedious.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeah I would agree with that.
    DR1 captured small town America very well, what America actually is like. Of course with zombies thrown in.

The move to developing in America lost that and went for the classic American idea for improvement. Biggerer, morerer, louderer. So the weapons got more violent, there were bikes with chainsaws, game shows, money. The end result is DR4 which has fucking power armour.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I gave up at the clown I think, which I think wasn't pretty early on. Just felt too slow and cumbersome and tedious.

its the first day, so yes, it's quite early on...

he's supremely easy if you take the gun from the humvee and shoot his balloons.
  • I was shower thinking earlier.

O feel like there are a lot of similarities between DR and Dark Souls.
    Both games are perceived as difficult early on but, through repetition the player learns How To make the game easier. In Souls you repeat small chunks until you know them inside out, win that stage and move on to the next. DR you repeat the game.
    This repetition means the player learns the world in a way that wouldn't normally happen in other games.

Strategy is key in both as well. Skill will get you do far but planning and resource gathering is necessary to see the end credits. Similarly a small, easy enemy can be dispatched easily but over confidence can lead to being surrounded and of course death.
  • I was shower thinking earlier.

O feel like there are a lot of similarities between DR and Dark Souls.
    Both games are perceived as difficult early on but, through repetition the player learns How To make the game easier. In Souls you repeat small chunks until you know them inside out, win that stage and move on to the next. DR you repeat the game.
    This repetition means the player learns the world in a way that wouldn't normally happen in other games.

Strategy is key in both as well. Skill will get you do far but planning and resource gathering is necessary to see the end credits. Similarly a small, easy enemy can be dispatched easily but over confidence can lead to being surrounded and of course death.

It's a legit comparison - I remember on my old playthroughs that I got super frustrated with the psycho fights - they seemed like super fast, super powerful hit sponges. But now I realise it's all about positioning and attack pattern recognition, ala Souls.
  • i actually think of it a bit like a metrovania style game, as in remembering where certain key items are etc. but that sounds fairly apt too.
  • Wow, Deus Ex:MD just...ends. What a disappointing game that was, 6/10 and I feel like that's being generous. Great set of augs but badly spliced into the game at the wrong times and just no real semblance of a story outside of a half hour episode of some bad sci-fi series. What a shame.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    Wow, Deus Ex:MD just...ends. What a disappointing game that was, 6/10 and I feel like that's being generous. Great set of augs but badly spliced into the game at the wrong times and just no real semblance of a story outside of a half hour episode of some bad sci-fi series. What a shame.

Wasn't really helped by the publisher basically chopping it to one third of its size so they can create three games instead of one. I loved it anyway, but yeah the ending is shite.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I didn't quite enjoy it as much as admired it, but yep agree with you both that ending is garbage
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The Last Guardian

Still mixed feelings about this. It is certainly an extremely well crafted, unique game. I enjoyed it and was frustrated by it in equal measure. As mentioned in the main thread camera and controls were the main culprits. Having said that I think the environmental puzzles, mild combat and exploration paired with a very different story base setting, made up for these failings. It even had a good ending.

Again another different gaming experience that should be encouraged so it will be going in my GOTY list.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Had a solid start to the year:

Inside
    Bit late to the party on this one but what a game. Aside from a couple of moments where I thought there were cheap deaths, I don't think it put a foot wrong. 
    Spoiler:

Superhot
    It's the most innovative shooter I've played in years! :)
    Not a huge amount else I can say on this but couldn't put it down once I started playing. Loved every minute of it and will definitely be going back to do some of the challenges. Highly recommended for anyone that hasn't played it yet.
  • Superhot is one of my GotYs. Gonna keep it in and push out Forza I think, to make room for:

The Witness. Finished last night, beautiful and so well designed. Utterly brilliant with only one or two puzzles that I didn't like.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Well that's your gears of war 4 done in. Actually really enjoyed that campaign. It's a slow and bit poor to start, but once you get into chapter 2 it really ramps up and doesn't let up. Doesn't over stay it's welcome either and wraps things up pretty well, although the ending comes without too much flare... It builds and then just finishes. I wasn't too fond of the horde moments built into the campaign but they weren't that long.

Spoiler chat:
    Spoiler:

Overall a solid next gen gears effort and hopefully the inevitable next one improves it further.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I'd agree with all that, Matty. I really enjoyed it in the end despite finding the beginning a right chore. Fighting wave after wave of robots just wasn't doing it. It certainly didn't do anything different to what the series has done in the past and it understandably got a fair amount of flak for that, but I wasn't looking for it to reinvent the formula and enjoyed it for what it was.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!