Just completed
  • Finished The Turing Test this morning. Pretty good puzzle/story based game that was enjoyable if a little over serious and actually not too taxing. I only had issues with one or two puzzles near the end really, not an overtly bad thing as it actually made the game quite relaxing to play.

Tried this last night but framerate is jank on Xbox and headbob on movement leaves me feeling queasy so couldn't continue. Looked promising though.

I don't recall frame rate bring an issue at all? Thought the movement was fine actually.

• Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    The Order 1886

The part of me that likes walking around environments, looking at all the details, enjoys standing still just to look at some cloth reacting to wind and is fine with progressing in a linear way loved it. 

The part of me that never minded QTE's disliked it.

The part of me that never really cared about shooters thought this was ok with a stupid difficulty ramp during the last gun fight. 

The part of me that tried to understand the story was left confused.

So yeah, I find it hard to really "judge" this game, it didn't have the best epilogue
    Spoiler:

Dialogue between characters felt purposefully complicated, to reflect a certain time I'm sure but I've missed a couple things at the start as I had no clue what they were all arguing over. It does have a nice set of characters, acting ain't too bad but the story doesn't deliver. Pretty sure they always thought they'd be in it for the sequel. So there were a couple of things they probably wanted to expand upon, but are left open for now.

The QTE's, I've never really cared for them or had trouble with them in other games, but they managed to do that with this game. A couple of them involved too many different buttons in the same action sequence, and I kept messing them up.
    I'm talking about the two fights
    Spoiler:
    The shooting was basic but solid. I liked the sounds and some nice designs. Couple scenes were a bit too long though, and switching to close quarter combat never really worked for me.

But it was all so damn pretty. I've always played adventure games by circling around the outer edges of a map, and making my way to the inside before progressing (and quite often giving up before the end) and have seen some boring and broken corners that way. This game never left you feel disappointed, you could look trough every window and spot something, no empty rooms and I've hardly seen any glitches. Had some boards that didn't seem to collide well when I had just loaded the game, but turning the camera around for a bit solved that. Materials looked good, lighting was nice, animation blends looked good... 

So overall I liked it, wouldn't have mind a sequel as I'm curious about some of the characters, but I guess we'll never see that. Think one of the articles posted in the thread (yes I went there, I wanted to see how the build up to the release went, as there's so much that went wrong in that area too) said it best, this might be more of a developer's game than a gamer's game. If you appreciate the (technical) beauty of this game, the rest is just solid enough to see it till the end. Just don't expect any mindblowing gameplay.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Finished The Turing Test this morning. Pretty good puzzle/story based game that was enjoyable if a little over serious and actually not too taxing. I only had issues with one or two puzzles near the end really, not an overtly bad thing as it actually made the game quite relaxing to play.
    Tried this last night but framerate is jank on Xbox and headbob on movement leaves me feeling queasy so couldn't continue. Looked promising though.
    I don't recall frame rate bring an issue at all? Thought the movement was fine actually.

Doesn't feel good on mine for some reason, all other games are fine. Sway/headbob gives me motion sickness in games these days though.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    No idea if this is actually a thing but my mate used to get bad motion sickness and he read something about putting an object between yourself and the TV. He now puts a can of deodorant about a foot in front of the telly and it works a treat apparently. Worth a try?
  • Had it recently with Resi 7, but only the first time I played it. Often find that's the case with first person games. Takes me the first session to adjust or something then it's fine after that.
  • Good write up Nina, I quite liked it too, but the visuals were a huge helping hand.  Metacritic is sitting at 63%, which considering 6/10 tends to mean 'avoid' is probably about right for a game that was £50ish launch.  If they'd gone the Hellblade route and released it as a half price download I don't think there would've been a backlash.  Ryse and The Order are the perfect candidates for an affordable AAA range, which is something that should definitely be a thing imo.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    No idea if this is actually a thing but my mate used to get bad motion sickness and he read something about putting an object between yourself and the TV. He now puts a can of deodorant about a foot in front of the telly and it works a treat apparently. Worth a try?

I've only ever had it with two games, Perfect Dark Zero and this so it's no biggy.
  • To be fair, PDZ gave most people that played it the boke.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Only two games have given me motion sickness - Mirror's Edge and Human Fall Flat. Latter only happens with extended play time.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Luckily ME was shit, so it's not like I missed anything.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Limbo

A little late. Had the 360 set up again this week and played Dark Souls again, but today thought I'd give this another go. Turns out I was only a couple of bits before the end when I gave up years ago. So I finished it and then restarted and played through most of it again.

I'm still not fully sold on it, but enjoyed this new run through more than before, I suppose because I had a better idea of how things worked (without actually remembering most of the solutions). I just don't think it communicates what does what very well and the physics and control are imprecise, so sometimes you're doing the right thing and it seems like it doesn't work. Clearly there are some nice ideas though, many of which were lost on me first time amongst the frustration.

Maybe I should even try Inside next time it's cheap.
  • EDIT: Posted in wrong thread!

Uncharted: Lost Legacy

Very similar to U4 - Pretty enjoyable game all up!  Bits of the game are wearing thin (the climbing and jumping around is clunky and it's sometimes not clear what bits you can climb/land on safely) but the good stuff still gets me.  Graphics are so lavish, and it has this trick it does several times where you're struggling through a dank enclosure and suddenly come out to a view of a lush green jungle vista with blue skies and a bright sun.  Some really inspired architecture to look at and climb over too.

Fun characters who quip at each other but didn't really follow the story very closely.  Not really sure what the bad guy was on about at the end.  Some exciting set pieces all up though the end sequence dragged on a touch.

Really fun way to spend about 6 hours or so!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I’m collecting Hoysala tokens at the moment and having fun
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Just looked that up - turns out I missed most of that!  And who knows what else.

Oh, well.  Too late now; already traded it in.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The Hoysala section was the weakest imo
  • I thought the whole thing was somewhat ironically a relic from a bygone age.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Inside

This was a fantastic experience. Weird, scary and very funny on occasions. Physics, animation, art direction and sound effects are top notch. Also has much clearer visual communication than Limbo, so it's clear what elements are in play and what they do. Downside of that is that perhaps it's a bit too straightforward to progress, as there's usually only a few things to interact with at any time. Puzzles can be clever but obvious at the same time.

And the ending:
    Spoiler:
  • JonB wrote:
    Puzzles can be clever but obvious at the same time.

Absolutely.  It's one of the key ingredients for an enjoyable game in the genre, imo.
  • To a point, yes. But a few more proper head scratchers would've been nice.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Finished the Cop mode on NFS Rivals.  Actually really enjoyed it by the end - good challenge, nice variety, fun handling.  My game got a bit confused and jumped me from the antepenultimate event to thinking I'd finished the game, so I had to "replay" the last level, which was a bit weird, but then I've also moved across to Racer and it's lost progress I probably made before, but left me with credits, so fuck knows what it thinks is happening.

Being racer is an intriguing amount of change.  Same roads etc., but different HUD, event types, weapons, you can lose your credits, and I'm back in shitty cars again rather than nippy numbers.  So I reckon I'll give it a bit of a crack too.

Drift challenges though?  Fuck that noise.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (Xbox One)

Not entirely sure how a game featuring literal Nazi zombies manages to be quite so poignant, but it does. Serves as a neat introduction to New Order - it manages the prequel problem better than, say, Star Trek Discovery or Star Wars I - III.

Low points - a difficulty curve that is more like a square wave.

High points - some genuinely subtle humour, including an actual grammar Nazi, made me chuckle.

Can't decided if this is [7] or [8] technological monstrosities out of [10] fascist investigations into the occult. Either way, a solid stand-alone expansion.
  • I have been thinking of trying N4S Rivals again.
    I didn't really like it from the demo I played way back, I thought it wasnt as good as the bloody brilliant Hot Pursuit and decided to wait for the next release.
    Seems the series has gone right down the toilet since so "not quite as good as HP" is worth more of a go.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    FWIW, i'm finding the start of Racer much less fun than the end of Cop.  Not sure if that's the much slower cars, or the different events, or the fact that even pootling I get the cops up my grill.  I'll crack on a bit more though, and hopefully i'll warm to it more once I have some better wheels...
  • I've just caught up with the last six or so pages.

Nice to see some vintage Reg.
    The Forum Herald™
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    , or the fact that even pootling I get the cops up my grill. 
    Forgot it was open world.
    I didn't think that added much to the series, I preferred the map screen to select events. Much more snappy and fits better IMHO.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah I basically played it in that mode - straight back to the cop shop / hideout, then jump to the next mission.  A bit tedious cos loading screens but driving around is not always the best option.
  • Tried it again. Can't stand it.
    The driving is alright but there is so much guff surrounding it. Having to return to base, load, reload, listen that stupid bint waffle on about shite.
    It is all too much.
  • Finished Inside

It clearly has a lot in common with Limbo. I preferred the graphical style of this but overall I think Limbo is the better game.

I also can't believe all the trophies appear to be for collectables? If I hadn't been looking at IGN I'd of completed it without getting anything at all.

Will probably go back through and collect them all to see the alternate ending in the hope it's better than the actual ending.

I re-read the Eurogamer review during playthrough and I've got to say I don't really get the same feeling from it.. it was ok but the end wasn't all that. There was no laughing at crate puzzle moments... But I really enjoyed the world and exploring it... I expect some greater reward or pay off though from Playdead. It's left me disappointed. Still £6 well spent and I'll be interested to see if they're third game plays so similarly.
    The Forum Herald™
  • This other Eurogamer article about the ending is quite interesting (major spoilers, obviously):

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-08-whats-going-on-at-the-end-of-inside

Think it'll be worth another play through at some point now that I know where it goes. Sure there's a lot to pick up on second time around.

Either way it's a massively better game than Limbo.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Finished the Cop mode on NFS Rivals.

Your chat got me picking it up cheap on PSN. I missed a bit of NfS. I’d forgotten one of my quibbles with this; you can’t pause. I switch off everything to do with its online guff, but I can’t pause. And I’ll need to work out how to miss out all the driving about. And the unusual physics means that some of the crashes are a little odd.

There’s some good fun racing in there, but it is so heavily obfuscated by desperation to add bells and whistles, it’s hard to love.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!