Just completed
  • So is that a 4/10 or something? Or 6? Depending on what an avweage/acceptable game gets nowadays. Or something?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Golf Story I really liked it, I think enough has been said about it over in the Switch thread. Galf is shite but an amusing easter egg. It's clear a lot of love has gone into it.  One under par.

Re this.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    A grammatical mistake, Shirley?

There ain’t none wrong with compound nouns.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    another code on DS. Short, simple, sweet, and goes full anime at the end. I think it's from the Hotel Dusk guys which I have ready to go next.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I enjoyed both of them a lot, Hotel Dusk felt a bit more "grown up" if I remember correct. Loved those games, were the ones that eventually led me to 999 and VLR (still need to pick up the last one)
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    So is that a 4/10 or something? Or 6? Depending on what an avweage/acceptable game gets nowadays. Or something?

It's better than average. So like a seven or an eight.
  • It's 300 yards off the tee but with a slight slice into the semi rough.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    I enjoyed both of them a lot, Hotel Dusk felt a bit more "grown up" if I remember correct. Loved those games, were the ones that eventually led me to 999 and VLR (still need to pick up the last one)

I didn't know there was a Hotel Dusk sequel and now I'm on the hunt. Seems very expensive though.
  • Did I just play Pacman with the final boss of The lost in nightmares dlc of RE5?
    I swear I just did....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Mario v Rabidds

Who'd of thought that a game not made in house by Nintendo could feel so Nintendo? Bloody awesome. Turn based strategy games (I've only played one on my switch) work really well on it. This is an essential purchase for any switch collection alongside, Botw, Oddessy and Mario kart.

So so very very good and stupidly addicitive.

• Genuinely funny in places too. Some of the boss characters were ace.
  • One in particular!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Transistor. Flawed, but I still love you, supergiant.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Mario Odyssey. Bowsers down but obviously a lot more to do. It’s actually very quick to blast through the main game. All of it very inventive and enjoyable. It’s definitely there with that Mario 64 feel. Its deiniftely a [10]
  • Bravely Default

Quality 3DS RPG.  One of those games I really enjoyed but had some very frustrating bits.  Mostly that it went about twice as long than it needed to.  Very bloated.  There were times I was ready for it to end, thought I was entering the final levels, but no I wasn't even halfway through!

Also, the dialogue is way too wordy.  Everyone just banging on about shit.  There is a character called Ringabel who is attracted to women.  He reestablishes this every time he opens his mouth, and he opens his mouth an awful lot.  

There's an old Edge review of this game that says something like 'Characters won't use 1 word when 27 can be used' and it's true.

Other than that it's great stuff with a cool, very customisable battle system and it lets you mess around with difficulty and enemy encounter rates on the fly.  It autosaves regularly.  Absolute godsend when you're lost exploring a dungeon with no magic left.  All very user friendly.

It is a very good natured game too and in spite off all the characters incessantly talking about shit they all ended up being enjoyable to spend time with, and in spite of the game length, the ending brings it all back.

Classy game and looking forward to playing the sequel, which is in the post.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Horizon Zero Dawn

Many thanks to Stoph for the loan, it's been a wholly pleasant way to spend my time over the last week.

It's really good at what it does, aside from some minor niggles about excessive repetition, broken mico-navigation code (Aloy will happily vault over a waist high desk you happen to walk near, but can get stuck on a small lip of a bridge) and a handful of other mostly inconsequential things.

While most of the characters are forgettable and their relationships undeveloped, the overall plot is fairly decent and a little less predictable than expected. Dunno if any of the side quests have decent story as I skipped all but one.

Combat etc. is fairly fun, feels chunky and, initially at least, the machines feel suitably large and imposing. There's just about enough variety to keep it interesting for a run-through, but it could have done with some different scenarios, or something, beyond the small handful it managed. Friendly NPCs do have a habit of deciding you've broken cover and charging in when all you've done is stealthily taken someone out, though.

The graphics are top notch, if marred by too much night time and, in certain areas, too much rain/fog. The use of colour is amazing, which detracts a little when the palette changes abruptly during the day/night cycle.

Overall, then, I enjoyed it. Not as much as I feel I should, however. Partially, it's the game's fault; I dialled back the difficulty because I was getting fed up with the repetition, so encounters lost a lot of their impact. The biggest problem, though, was me or, more specifically, the number of very similarly put together RPGs I'd played. It all felt like I was retracing the steps I'd taken in so many other games. I think I'd have much preferred this had it focused on hunting larger and larger machine beasts and done away with some of the open world RPG trappings.

4/5

Next up: Breath of the Wild. Kinda concerned I'm going to bump up against the same problems, though with hope that the Nintendo-ness I'm sure will be present will be able to mitigate them.
  • Seems fairly similar to my assessment too. Hadn't really thought about the overbearing night myself, but I agree.
  • I'm late to the party but Dishonored 2. After so many disappointing big releases it was nice to finally play a AAA game that deserves all the A's.

Art direction is impeccable and it's hard to fathom the work that went into this game. It's incredibly beautiful at points, and so full of detail, the architecture, furniture, paintings and faces are second to none.

Atmosphere is so thick, yet nearly always consistent, despite being by turns surreal, funny, horrific and beautiful. 

I don't have the time or the patience for stealth so it was also Absurdly fucking violent.

It's very Ample too, with two characters and two ways to play each. That said, the story didn't do much for me and it's a little emo in parts (the overseer, is like, ewwwww) but this is an incredibly rich experience and has to score a decapitated head out of an antique teak sideboard.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Mario v Rabidds Who'd of thought that a game not made in house by Nintendo could feel so Nintendo? Bloody awesome. Turn based strategy games (I've only played one on my switch) work really well on it. This is an essential purchase for any switch collection alongside, Botw, Oddessy and Mario kart. So so very very good and stupidly addicitive. 10

Yeah it's a good'un. 

It's not perfect though. I think the best encounters come in the first third, with later enemy types, in particular being less fun to fight than their earlier equivalents.

There are also some horrible difficulty spikes with some late encounters ending up a bit of a slog of trial and error.

There's also some poor puzzles that gate your access to the fun stuff. 

Overall though, I loved it. If they do another I'll be in day 1. 

Reckon its an 8.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • trippy wrote:
    I'm late to the party but Dishonored 2. After so many disappointing big releases it was nice to finally play a AAA game that deserves all the A's. Art direction is impeccable and it's hard to fathom the work that went into this game. It's incredibly beautiful at points, and so full of detail, the architecture, furniture, paintings and faces are second to none. Atmosphere is so thick, yet nearly always consistent, despite being by turns surreal, funny, horrific and beautiful.  I don't have the time or the patience for stealth so it was also Absurdly fucking violent. It's very Ample too, with two characters and two ways to play each. That said, the story didn't do much for me and it's a little emo in parts (the overseer, is like, ewwwww) but this is an incredibly rich experience and has to score a decapitated head out of an antique teak sideboard.

It's a great game and well worth a second play through with the other character and more time exploring each level for the side quests.

Got so much more out of it second time through.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Edith Finch:

Had some really inventive, powerful moments. Pushes the mechanics of first-person storytelling in some creative and unexpected directions - mostly cool.

Not sure how I feel about the end tho, overall a
    great 8.
  • I think it was brave of the developers. There is a tradition of it in other media.
  • Yeah, I guess It's in tune with the game's central themes.

I'd of liked just a smidgen more exposition though.
  • Have
  • Irish phraseology elf. Now get back to sucking 'muzzy off like a good little grammar nazi :p
  • Wait, are you saying the Irish confused "should've" with "should of" so much that it's actually been accepted as the way it's done over there now? Funny the way language works, innit.
  • I ain’t second guessin nuffink, blood
  • That weren't directed at youse.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Wait, are you saying the Irish confused "should've" with "should of" so much that it's actually been accepted as the way it's done over there now? Funny the way language works, innit.

I’d be surprised if it has.
  • AJ wrote:
    Wait, are you saying the Irish confused "should've" with "should of" so much that it's actually been accepted as the way it's done over there now? Funny the way language works, innit.

More like "would've" with "would of", and not all Irish obv. Think it's more of a convenient shortening of sounds thing in speech rather than confusion.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!