Discless consoles not far off
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    4G is coming.  I've heard tell that it's pretty fast.

Indeed. It's going to change the entire world.

eventually

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Like tablets, like any of this stuff, it'll get there eventually. As g points out, a few years can make a big difference. Speaking of witchcraft, the shit you can do on a smart phone these days is pretty mental.

Still, I don't know that next gen is the place it properly takes off. Or rather, I don't know that you can put all, or even most of your eggs in that basket at launch. The idea of fipping toes with current gen seems a good one. Although there's a tipping point surely. It's all well and good to test run with an already there user base, but if the tech fails too hard, a lot of punters will try it and then swear off it for a good wee while.

As mentioned in other threads and on other forums, I'm pretty much streaming all my TV, all my movies and now all my music. All on subs. I could be talked into paying more for Live too, if there was more "free" content post sub. But still, at the end of the day, input lag and random drop outs are a much bigger deal for games than movies and music. (And like Elm, I have a pretty solid connection these days.)

Petey, are you still working for that mob that were doing that thing, which was awesome?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • adkm1979 wrote:

It is, it's pretty ubiquitous over here.  A colleague with a Verizon phone happily gets 4Mbit/s downloads out in the sticks where we work, and closer to 8Mbit/s in the city.  Good enough to stream Netflix on the bus.
  • Aye, I regularly see people streaming films/tv on their tablets/phones while on the bus/subway here.

I can't wait to see where tech is in 10 years.
  • Aye, I regularly see people streaming films/tv on their tablets/phones while on the bus/subway here. I can't wait to see where tech is in 10 years.

... caught up with Korea, I should imagine...!!
  • Haha, but where will the Koreans be by then?! USB points in their wrists and grafted-on mechanical fingers?
  • Media consumption via a kind of soup.
  • Self facilitating media nodes
  • I might be wrong, but I think I've got one of them.
  • Instant noodles in a plastic cup.

just add hot water

g.man
  • Trust you to take it too far.
  • Dare to dream!
  • Elmlea wrote:
    adkm1979 wrote:
    It is, it's pretty ubiquitous over here.  A colleague with a Verizon phone happily gets 4Mbit/s downloads out in the sticks where we work, and closer to 8Mbit/s in the city.  Good enough to stream Netflix on the bus.

If that's the case the providers over here are going to have to reconsider their stance on data allowances. 0.5GB isn't gonna last long with people using services like netflix or iPlayer.
  • Howabout we throw Fatboy Gabe into the mix then. 
    Imagine Sony, Gaikai/OnLive and Steam all getting into bed for a one box to rule them all next gen offing.

you know you'd want it

g.man
  • There'll be no mix left, all ejected in an Archimedean deluge from the vat.
  • ...but think of the sales!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I think Steam in either its digital sales or gaming network forms are out of the picture tbh. Too much of a culture/ego clash.
  • Probably. Would be an incredibly bold change of direction for gaming though. Hell of a gamble, but again, if you just coded it into a traditional console with a disc drive, you'd still be hedging your bets enough if it all went tits up.

could happen

g.man
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Out of the picture in so far as a hook up with Sony.

I'm sure Steambox will happen but if it's just a fairly low end reference design then it's a bit weak really and uncharacteristically for Valve not very bold.
  • I'm more likely to take a punt on DLC then take a punt on a physical game. 

If they play it clever they could have more impulse buying especially if they open up more retro games to purchase..
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    adkm1979 wrote:
    If that's the case the providers over here are going to have to reconsider their stance on data allowances. 0.5GB isn't gonna last long with people using services like netflix or iPlayer.
    My mate got hit with a hefty bill for watching a lot of Sky F1 on Sky Go while he was at work...

The data allowances currently on offer are no good for anything other than a bit of shopping and status updates, I'd especially love a decent allowance as I tether my iPad pretty much every time I have to take my missus to Tesco.
  • Yeah a mate of mine had the same thing watching MotD, I think he got the bill heavily reduced claiming he should have been warned at least at the point he doubled his allowance. Can't imagine that would work very often though.
  • I still have unlimited data on my tariff.

I am win

g.man
  • Is it unlimited though G.Man, IS IT!?!

Seriously it's prob only 1gb.
    While we are on the subject, does anyone else get a free 1gb of BTopenzone a month, and has anyone worked out how the hell it works?
  • Someone did do an actual unlimited one, but I can't remember who.
  • I have 15gig on 3 Ireland. They say it's unlimited even though it's not but it's still the best out there at the mo for me. Maybe they do the same over there?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    O2 have as well because I was on one from 2007 till earlier this year when I gave it up because it cost more than the limited bundles and I was only using a 10-20MB of my allowance each month.

By the by, I've watched Netflix on a 3G signal and it's been fine.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    ...I've watched Netflix on a 3G signal and it's been fine.
    I watched some football on Sky Go on 3G and it was fine though I'm not sure how much of my 1gb allowance it was using, I only had it on while I went outside the pub for a fag so I was well within my limit I guess!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!